Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

De Goey in front right now. But as I’ve saod before I’d be cutting Petracca some slack. Have a knee reconstruction year one doesn’t help. He also needs to go to the Clayton Oliver school of pre season training and preparation. Petracca obviously works hard but needs to get a bit fitter and drop 6 or so kgs unless he’s going to play full forward which won’t be happening. I’d like to revisit this time next year.

Tom Boyd kicked 3 in a grand final thats obviously more important then a prelim, is he the best in his draft year? Lol
Except Boyd:

-Never made AA 40 squad
-NEVER KICKED MORE THAN 16 GOALS IN A SEASON HAHAHAHAHA, De goey is on 45 atm btw
-averaged 0.75 goals per game in final series, with all of them coming from the last game, De Goey has kicked 9 across 3

The fact that you still think Tom Boyd is relevant is hilarious

Except Boyd:

-Never made AA 40 squad
-NEVER KICKED MORE THAN 16 GOALS IN A SEASON HAHAHAHAHA, De goey is on 45 atm btw
-averaged 0.75 goals per game in final series, with all of them coming from the last game, De Goey has kicked 9 across 3

I think he may have been taking the piss mate.

End of 2018 update
1-De Goey
2-Heeney
3-Andrews
4-Lever
5-Brayshaw
6-McLean
7-Lambert
8-Saad
9-Langford
10-moore
11-Petracca
12-Short
13-McKenna
13-Butler
15-Castagna
16-Melican
17-Neal-Bullen
18-McDonald
19-maynard
20-steele

De Goey has been immense this year. Heeney and Andrews had excellent years too.
Brayshaw has overtaken Petracca, who i have rated and waited on.
Langford had a massive end to the season. Started to fulfil his potential.

Last edited:
Except Boyd:

-Never made AA 40 squad

Hilarious huh? will see in the near future, im not the one spruiking Jordan is the best in his draft year based on the fact he kicked three in a prelim

Maybe he should have waited to re-sign until this week?
Over a million a year would have been the price
Amazing player and I am sure he will be a handful on Saturday for the Eagles

9-Langford

If you think Langford had a "massive" end to his season, enough to put him in at no.9, how do you explain Jack Steele not even making your top 20, after the end he had to his season?

Last 8 games (averages):

Steele v Langford

28 Disposals 16.6
12.5 Contested poss 6.6
81% Disp efficiency 73%
5.1 Marks 4.6
7.1 Tackles 4.8
4.5 Clearances 1.6
0.5 Goals 0.75
0.75 Contested marks 0.87
109 Ranking points 81

And Steele did all that despite having the tagging/run-with/head-to-head role on the best in the other team's midfield in most, if not all those games (including Mitchell, Cripps, Wines, etc) and consistently keeping them to less than their usual output, matching, or outright beating them. A pretty remarkable effort.

Good enough to help him storm home for 3rd in our B&F, and to push him up to the 3rd highest ranked of anyone from this draft in the AFL player ratings (60th, only Heeney and the 4-years-older Lambert ranked higher- then Andrews in 61st, McLean at 66 and Petracca at 78), and his numbers for the year are very, very comparable to Toby McLean's, who most seem to really rate, and who you have in 6th:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=20&pid2=4174&fid2=O&type=A

And again, Steele got those numbers despite his regular tagging/run-with types roles, which I'm not sure McLean was doing for WB (happy to be corrected on that).

He seems to have snuck under a lot of radars. He's no longer just a guy who tackles a heap.

Last edited:
End of 2018 update
1-De Goey
2-Heeney
3-Andrews
4-Lever
5-Brayshaw
6-McLean
7-Lambert
8-Saad
9-Langford
10-Petracca
11-Short
12-McKenna
13-Butler
14-Castagna
15-Melican
16-Neal-Bullen
17-McDonald
18-McGovern
19-Daniel
20-Blakely

Maynard comfortably in the top 15. Moore would easily be top 10 with a clean run at it too.

So much recency bias in these threads lol. De Goey is a gun but I'd take Heeney #1 in this draft seven days a week.

Yep, I want to see De Goey continue this form for more than a year. I’m still taking Harris Andrews ahead as well. No doubt De Goey has done wonderful things this season, but Stephenson wouldn’t be far off doing just as good as JDG. One thing JDG has over Heeney is the explosive power, but I feel a heeney has him covered in probably every other area. Be interesting to see how Heeney goes next year, he should be taking over the swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think Langford had a "massive" end to his season, enough to put him in at no.9, how do you explain Jack Steele not even making your top 20, after the end he had to his season?

Last 8 games (averages):

Steele v Langford

28 Disposals 16.6
12.5 Contested poss 6.6
81% Disp efficiency 73%
5.1 Marks 4.6
7.1 Tackles 4.8
4.5 Clearances 1.6
0.5 Goals 0.75
0.75 Contested marks 0.87
109 Ranking points 81

And Steele did all that despite having the tagging/run-with/head-to-head role on the best in the other team's midfield in most, if not all those games (including Mitchell, Cripps, Wines, etc) and consistently keeping them to less than their usual output, matching, or outright beating them. A pretty remarkable effort.

Good enough to help him storm home for 3rd in our B&F, and to push him up to the 3rd highest ranked of anyone from this draft in the AFL player ratings (60th, only Heeney and the 4 years older Lambert ranked higher), and his numbers for the year are very, very comparable to Toby McLean's, who most seem to really rate, and who you have in 6th:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=20&pid2=4174&fid2=O&type=A

And again, Steele got those numbers despite his regular tagging/run-with types roles, which I'm not sure McLean was doing for WB (happy to be corrected on that).

He seems to have snuck under a lot of radars.
Noted and updated
He has snuck under the radar

End of 2018 update
1-De Goey
2-Heeney
3-Andrews
4-Lever
5-Brayshaw
6-McLean
7-Lambert
8-Saad
9-Langford
10-moore
11-Petracca
12-Short
13-McKenna
13-Butler
15-Castagna
16-Melican
17-Neal-Bullen
18-McDonald
19-maynard
20-steele

Langford and Saad above Petracca. Who do you support again?

Langford and Saad above Petracca. Who do you support again?
Essendon fans would wank themselves silly over Petracca, who most Dees fans agree hasn't hit the heights required yet. Still goes at 25 a week. Surprised he couldn't find room for Laverde.

After reading this thread I'm convinced that Heeney is the most overrated player in the AFL. Takes a nice grab but other than that a pretty vanilla midfielder who hit his talent ceiling as a 19 year old. De Goey and Andrews streets ahead of him and several other players gaining fast.

Essendon fans would wank themselves silly over Petracca, who most Dees fans agree hasn't hit the heights required yet. Still goes at 25 a week. Surprised he couldn't find room for Laverde.

He only got 25 disposals twice this year, let alone 25 a week.

Petracca still has done * all to suggest he should be at the top of this list.

To be honest with the arrogance he has already, I doubt he will ever have the realisation that he is accomplishing sweet * all and to have potential is just a small fraction of the full picture.

Goes at 25? I'm assuming you mean SC points, because it sure as hell isn't disposals.

But yeah, its bomber fans that would wank themselves silly.

Goes at 25? I'm assuming you mean SC points, because it sure as hell isn't disposals.

But yeah, its bomber fans that would wank themselves silly.
Langford has played about 10 good weeks of footy, good for him, and Petracca still had a clearly superior season statistically. Its important not to get caught up in the hype, and judge things as they are rather than getting caught up in expectations and ceilings. There's not many, if any, neutrals that would take Langford ahead of Petracca at this point in time.

Langford has played about 10 good weeks of footy, good for him, and Petracca still had a vastly superior season statistically. Its important not to get caught up in the hype, and judge things as they are. There's not many, if any, neutrals that would take Langford ahead of Petracca at this point in time.
Show me where I mentioned Langford. I think you are having a conversation with yourself and including me in it.

All I mentioned was the ridiculous claim that Petracca gets 25 a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back