Analysis Gaming the Free Agency System

Remove this Banner Ad

If you really want to game free agency...

1. Trade a player to a rival club with a year to go before FA hits.

2. Draft kids with resultant draft picks.

3. Reaccquire player in 4 years when they are 29 after ten years of service as UFA thanks to free agency for life rule.

4. Win flag with returned star and gun kids who are now 22.
Otherwise known as The Croad.

Great in principle, but feels like we're playing with fire. If we had a list management team that could negotiate trades like Weller for Pick 2 or Cameron for Pick 12 then I'd feel more confident, but instead we're trading a guy getting offered a $3.75million contract for Pick 10.

The attitude before has been "he wants to get to club x so we won't get in his way and will only demand what they can afford". Well stuff that if they want him they can pay what we ask. Hawthorn and Essendon aren't cutesy about their trades so why should we.

The attitude before has been "he wants to get to club x so we won't get in his way and will only demand what they can afford". Well stuff that if they want him they can pay what we ask. Hawthorn and Essendon aren't cutesy about their trades so why should we.
If North had traded away their first two picks already we would be framing it like "well there's a lot of great talent later in the draft and we think *insert player about to be delisted who North have offered as steak knives* has some great potential..

Meanwhile McGovern + 7 for Pick 1 is being thrown around with a straight face. Maddening.

Yes!
If he was offered to us for 16 we'd bite their hands off!
Maybe I haven’t seen him play enough but unless he plays a lot as a defender his stats aren’t impressive at all and at 190cm I can’t see him surviving as a key forward for another 8 years.

An upgrade on Nick Salter sure, but a first round pick... I really don’t know.

Yes!
If he was offered to us for 16 we'd bite their hands off!

He’s average dude. 24, averages 4 contested possessions per game in a forward line that takes all the heat off him.

If we gave up 16 for him it would have to be a s**t draft.

He’s average dude. 24, averages 4 contested possessions per game in a forward line that takes all the heat off him.

Nah, if he was a Port player we’d definitely rate him that highly.
He can swing and if he gets injury free he’s a game winner. A cheap version of his brother...which is a compliment.

I'd burn down the club if we offered a 1st for him this year.

Nah, if he was a Port player we’d definitely rate him that highly.
He can swing and if he gets injury free he’s a game winner. A cheap version of his brother...which is a compliment.
Gets a nice mark every month or so. Yeah no.

He's dropped in value as he's aged imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Crows were linked with West Coasts McGovern and I thought to myself that we'd never win a showdown ever again.

I'm glad they'll probably end up having none now.

Clubs actually measure their success based on the number of McGoverns they have on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back