Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 3!

What do you think the Crows should do with their Picks?

• Don't vote for that one above either (or this one)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am backing the club in, to use the picks we've got, and not care about the meltdown that happens on here because there's so much jizz no one can think straight.

7Capture.PNG

Go Hemi, you're in the 2/3rds majority!

(yes, i selected trade up, i'd forgo one of the teen picks with 8 to get higher, but that's it, any more is ludicrous)

Last edited:
Very interesting, this could mean that we've spoken with GC and/or St Kilda and a trade for pick 3 or 4 might be a bridge too far so we're going to stock up on talent rather than move up the order.

Or we know Gold Coast have settled on Luko and Rankine, Either way, it starting look like they are using all there top 4 picks and maybe one later for a rookie upgrade of a surprise packet.

What about 8, 13 and 21?, or
8, 13 and 2019 first round pick?

I'm likening the idea of a scenario we would be comfortable with if acceptated but also one that may force the Pears hand to give up more of their picks this year to stay in front of us.......sure they may get first dibs at the SA talent but if they have to give up 5 & 10 or more I think that would be a win in the bigger picture considering what they have given away and possibly be left with 2 first rounders at best.
The crows having Pick 6 will make Powaa very nervous and they may do something stupid worrying about us going after 3 or 4. Its almost worth going after 6 to see them lose pick 15 in moving further up the order.

I take issue with this ....you say #8 will be a gun ...but then say #13, #16, #21 "collectively" will equal Luko.......what are you saying man !!

Each one of those picks by their own ....if it was our only pick, we'd be saying how we'd be getting a very good player .........too many are watering down the value of each of these picks and watering down who we get at those picks !
Agreed. Matt Crouch pick 23! The recruiting team have picked gold later in the draft, Smith was 14 and so was Milera I think. Strong drafte this year we will come out of it with some good talent either way we decide to go.

I don’t think GC need more 2018 picks.

8 + our 2019 second for pick 6.
I would be ok with that. Maybe ask for their 3rd round pick back.

Then Pick 13 & 16 + 2019 1st round pick to STK for pick 4 + 2019 2nd round pick.

Would leave this draft with pick 4, 6 & 21.

Really want 3 picks in this draft. I'm happy to trade next years first, IF we get a 2nd round back (essentially making it a drop in draft position of a handful of spots).

Did we know Partington was going to be available for nothing though? We re-signed Poholke before the grand final and it looked like Gaff was gone at that stage. I doubt West Coast would have floated his name before then. By the time Partington's name would have come up, Myles would have been extended imo.

It's an area on our list that I think is weak. Mids in that age bracket. I have doubts about Myles due to his decision making. It's something that other players have fixed, so hopefully he can too. Its not a big deal for me. Partington would be just as speculative as Poholke imo.

Partington has had a few chances along the way to play, but Simpson/Eagles refuse to pick him it seems. When Dom Sheed could barely break into the 22 wit a fully fit side, and then he wins them the grand final, that says something.

We could have very easily traded for him in a Stengle type deal, a nothing pick with the player requesting to come home after being stuck in line for too long. I'd like to see us rookie him, as you said our midfield depth is a little weak at this stage.

I would be ok with that. Maybe ask for their 3rd round pick back.

Then Pick 13 & 16 + 2019 1st round pick to STK for pick 4 + 2019 2nd round pick.

Would leave this draft with pick 4, 6 & 21.

Really want 3 picks in this draft. I'm happy to trade next years first, IF we get a 2nd round back (essentially making it a drop in draft position of a handful of spots).
I want us to do this too.

Partington has had a few chances along the way to play, but Simpson/Eagles refuse to pick him it seems. When Dom Sheed could barely break into the 22 wit a fully fit side, and then he wins them the grand final, that says something.

We could have very easily traded for him in a Stengle type deal, a nothing pick with the player requesting to come home after being stuck in line for too long. I'd like to see us rookie him, as you said our midfield depth is a little weak at this stage.
Not sure I agree with this when you take into account "organic growth" of players we are looking to push into the midfield (or have recruited as long term midfielders)

Sloane
Gibbs
M. Crouch
B. Crouch
Douglas
Greenwood
Ellis-Yoelman
Gallucci
Milera
Knight
Poholke
Mackay ;)
Atkins

Sure, some are unproven here and some might be getting a bit on but we will draft a couple of long term midfielders this draft as well and players like Gallucci, Milera, Knight and Poholke will be given more exposure in the midfield in 2019 and beyond.

Ideally, we will look to draft a KPP and 2-3 long term midfielders in the draft this year.

Not sure I agree with this when you take into account "organic growth" of players we are looking to push into the midfield (or have recruited as long term midfielders)

Sloane
Gibbs
M. Crouch
B. Crouch
Douglas
Greenwood
Ellis-Yoelman
Gallucci
Milera
Knight
Poholke
Mackay ;)
Atkins

Sure, some are unproven here and some might be getting a bit on but we will draft a couple of long term midfielders this draft as well and players like Gallucci, Milera, Knight and Poholke will be given more exposure in the midfield in 2019 and beyond.

Ideally, we will look to draft a KPP and 2-3 long term midfielders in the draft this year.
I think the development of Gallucci is key. Of our young potential mids, clearly Milera is now fulfilling his potential and draft rating.

Gallucci was a 1st and, I think, showed some great signs last year. If he can continue on that trajectory and become a quality mid then that list looks good.

If he doesn't reach that level, then we have a serious gap between the old and new.

Personally I think he makes it, but no doubt he presents a real swing point in our mid depth

Sloane :thumbsu:
Gibbs :thumbsu:
M. Crouch :thumbsu:
B. Crouch - Always injured, cant bank on him
Douglas - :thumbsu: Probably going to be his last good (full season)
Greenwood :thumbsu:
Ellis-Yoelman - A spud (unfortunately). Truth hurts. Good at the coal face but not much else.
Gallucci (Ill give him a :thumbsu: for now cos Im liking what I see).
Milera - Plays HBF? Might move into the midfield?
Knight - A HFF/Tagger (would love to see him run through the middle more though).
Poholke - Id argue Partington is the better player at this stage. Poholke's 10 touches a game doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Mackay ;) - Spud
Atkins - Purely outside player.

So that leaves you with 5 midfielders that can get it done on the inside and out. 6 if you count Crouch and 7 if you throw in the Gooch, but with Douglas being 32 next year you could settle on 6 definities, with a whole bunch of question marks.

I'm bullish on our current list and what it can do provided they're all fit, but our midfield is one area that's treading on thin ice. CEY is as good as done, and Poholke is no guarantee. Partington is an inside midfield who can accumulate on the outside as well, but he's not slow either and can get forward to kick a goal.

I don't think giving up a rookie spot for a ready-to-go midfielder, who could potentially surpass CEY and Poholke in the pre-season alone, is all that bad of an option really. Im not saying he's a world beater, just that he "might be" one of the better ready made midfield options going around. But I back the recruiters to make the best call on that.

Last edited:
Ellis-Yoelman - A spud (unfortunately). Truth hurts. Good at the coal face but not much else.
Knight - A HFF/Tagger (would love to see him run through the middle more though).
Poholke - Id argue Partington is the better player at this stage. Poholke's 10 touches a game doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Mackay ;) - Spud

So that leaves you with 5 midfielders that can get it done on the inside and out. 6 if you count Crouch and 7 if you throw in the Gooch, but with Douglas being 32 next year you could settle on 6 definities, with a whole bunch of question marks.

I'm bullish on our current list and what it can do provided they're all fit, but our midfield is one area that's treading on thin ice. CEY is as good as done, and Poholke is no guarantee. Partington is an inside midfield who can accumulate on the outside as well, but he's not slow either and can get forward to kick a goal.

I don't think giving up a rookie spot for a ready-to-go midfielder, who could potentially surpass CEY and Poholke in the pre-season alone, is all that bad of an option really. Im not saying he's a world beater, just that he "might be" one of the better ready made midfield options going around. But I back the recruiters to make the best call on that.
Good assessment. Milera will be a star though similar to Andy Macleod I hope. In time he can play forward, mid, back. Feel Gallucci will also be a very good midfielder resting up forward. Poholke is pretty limited and I see him being traded in time. Our list is going through a very large shift the next 2 years. End of 2019-2020 I see the club retiring/delisting/trading the likes of Otten,Jacobs, Mackay, Douglas, Atkins, Kelly, Hartigan, Cheney, Cey, Hunter, Obrien, Poholke, Wilson.

The core group moving forward should include:
Brown, Laird, Smith, Doedee, Talia, Keath, Milera, Knight, Gallucci, Himmelberg, Fogarty, Greenwood, MCrouch, BCrouch, Sloane, Gibbs, Mcadam, Jenkins, Seedsman, Walker, McPherson, Davis, Lynch, Betts, Stengle. Throw in some good drafting the next 2 years I hope and possibly a trade in or a free agent and we have a pretty good core for the next 5 to 6 years. We need more midfield depth with pace and a good young ruckman as a priority.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay ;) - Spud

Except all of those bar Gallucci and Milera have at times rolled through the center square. Milera was recruited as a midfielder and will push into the midfield. Crows have a history of developing future midfielders as either HBF or HFF or wing.

Just because you don't see it now, it doesn't mean that it is not there. Majority of this board was writing Milera and in come cases Gallucci off as spuds 12 months ago. A good pre-season has set up many careers. CEY is far from a spud. Might not be a first choice player but he is a great depth midfielder to have on the team that can come in and play his role. Most of our gun midfielders have been injured for periods of time that has affected their season. Get that right and we have one of the best midfields in the league.

I'm not so worried about our midfield depth. I'm more concerned about our KPP depth. Wtf do we do if Tex and JJ go down?
Himmelberg and Fogarty would be next in line i would say. Greenwood can play tall and is a very good contested mark too.

I'm not so worried about our midfield depth. I'm more concerned about our KPP depth. Wtf do we do if Tex and JJ go down?
Fog and Berg are both developing nicely.

In any event you reset the game plan to maximise what you do have.

Richmond won a flag on the ground, WCE won one in the air.

Obviously.
That just makes you part of the problem.
Yeah that's it. :rolleyes: Actually I reckon you (and your mates) need a LONG break. Try to get some joy into your life... it's clearly not happening with anything remotely to do with the footy club seeing as they are so s**t (according to you). You'd be so much better off if you didn't have so much angst in your life or be anywhere near the scores of folk like me who actually support the club. Just think!

Fogarty and Himmelberg? In case of emergency I guess we break glass and pick Andy Otten. Maybe Greenwood could pinch-hit as an undersized FF, but you wouldn't want to have to rely on that on a long term basis.

Except all of those bar Gallucci and Milera have at times rolled through the center square. Milera was recruited as a midfielder and will push into the midfield. Crows have a history of developing future midfielders as either HBF or HFF or wing.

Just because you don't see it now, it doesn't mean that it is not there. Majority of this board was writing Milera and in come cases Gallucci off as spuds 12 months ago. A good pre-season has set up many careers. CEY is far from a spud. Might not be a first choice player but he is a great depth midfielder to have on the team that can come in and play his role. Most of our gun midfielders have been injured for periods of time that has affected their season. Get that right and we have one of the best midfields in the league.

Mate, I've been one of Milera's biggest fans and have been patient with his progression, very similar to the Gooch. But for now, with Smith back I would love to see him take Mackay's spot in the 22 as that rotating halfback/midfielder, Seedsman on the wings and Smith down back. I have always said Milera should end up playing very much like Daniel Wells.

CEY is decent depth yes, but ONLY if he's replacing a MCrouch/Greenwood. Even then, we are fortunate that MCrouch is so good around the ground and Greenwood up forward. CEY is a complete and utter liability around the ground. Just go watch the round 2 highlights of the GF rematch vs Richmond @AO, and watch Dusty run off him with ease at EVERY single stoppage, and proceed to kick 4 goals from it. It's the stuff of nightmares. He's 26 next year and not going to providing much more than what he already offers.

Poholke is in a very similar boat to CEY, can really only replace a pure inside mid, or Douglas on the HFF at this stage.

I already have Knight and Gooch in my best 22, so they can't "replace" anyone technically. However they can move into a more pure midfield role and someone else comes in to play their rotating HFF/mid role.

So as it stands, our depth options in terms of replacing a BCrouch/Sloane/Gibbs/Gooch as that inside/outside type midfielder are pretty slim.
As it stands I have these players outside our 22:
- CEY
- Poholke
- Mackay
- Atkins

Throw a CEY/Poholke in for one of those types and we start to become way too top heavy, which we saw plenty of last year, and it's not a pretty sight (unless Poholke can make serious improvements to his tank and outside game this year). The other 2 are pure outside mids. IMO we are really lacking another balanced midfielder who can win contested ball and accumulate around the ground.

Last edited:
Fogarty and Himmelberg? In case of emergency I guess we break glass and pick Andy Otten. Maybe Greenwood could pinch-hit as an undersized FF, but you wouldn't want to have to rely on that on a long term basis.
No point getting games into Otten. Otten will not be on the list after 2019. Get games into youth who will be around.

Yeah that's it. :rolleyes: Actually I reckon you (and your mates) need a LONG break. Try to get some joy into your life... it's clearly not happening with anything remotely to do with the footy club seeing as they are so s**t (according to you). You'd be so much better off if you didn't have so much angst in your life or be anywhere near the scores of folk like me who actually support the club. Just think!
Way ahead of you. I stopped watching after I saw a team completely disinterested against Collingwood. Only 3 games from a pathetic GF performance and they couldn't be bothered to break out of a jog. Doing that on the day the VFL gave us all the finger and extended the MCG contract by another 20 years - yeah that was the final straw.

They don't have the fight needed to win a flag as a non-vic side. Adelaide is a Carlton, a Fremantle, a Port Adelaide, a Gold Coast - going nowhere and doing nothing about it.

If you don't like losing talented players now, wait a couple of years when they bring in the mid-season trades they want and players are walking out the door in June.

Giving it away has been great, no more weekends ruined by being in a shitty mood from a poor loss, I've been able to accept invites that clashed with Crows games. I've turned in 2 memberships, that money will do me more good in my pocket.

Now I just enjoy watching people who actually think that anything is going to change.

Maybe the VFL will hand them a pity flag in another 20 years or so, maybe.

Can everyone stop worrying about what Port are doing and who they'll get. We all know they are poor at development. Let's focus on us and our brilliant draft hand and select the 4 best avaliable players at 8, 13, 16 and 21. We can worry about the SA boys in 2 or 3 years time and get them for a late 1st or early 2nd rounder instead of shelling out 2 or 3 first round picks.... my god some of you are crazy.

Back