Official Match Thread Season 26, Round 15: Coney Island Warriors vs Baghdad Bombers at Van Cortlandt Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Eppl7gs.png

Coney Island Warriors v Baghdad Bombers
Van Cortlandt Park

Two months ago, you would have pencilled this in to be possibly the least exciting game imaginable - the winless Bombers travelling to the undefeated Warriors. Now, both clubs have a whole lot to play for. The Bombers have bounced back from their horror start to the season, winning four of their last five and putting the Dragons to the sword in Round 13 to the tune of 54 points. Their midfield has been superb for most of the season and if they can nab a win on the road at Van Cortlandt Park it would go a long way to securing an unlikely finals berth.

Meanwhile, the hosts' season is in freefall after their winning streak was cut short at seven wins. They're 1-6 since then but remain in 2nd thanks to the Gumbies' penalty points. To say they need a win is a massive understatement, as finishing outside of the finals is still a possibility. The Warriors get a chance, at home, to secure a spot in the eight and increase their chances of a home final in Week 1.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Earlier This Season: Baghdad Bombers 8.7 (55) defeated by Coney Island Warriors 12.15 (87)

The high-flying Warriors travelled to Abdu Prison to take on the then-winless Bombers in what many viewed as a lop-sided fixture. The Bombers stayed in touch for the majority of the match but Coney Island were ultimately in front all day, leading by 3 at quarter time, 11 at half time and 20 at the last break. A 4 goal fourth quarter sealed Baghdad's fate, with the Warriors comfortably winning by 32. Freofalcon was easily best-on-ground despite winning just 6 hitouts in the ruck as he finished with 32 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal, whilst the Warriors also got good value out of TheInjuryFactory (29 disposals, 7 marks), BigJoeD_ (4 goals) and zackah (18 disposals, 2 goals). The Bombers, still working through their offensive issues at the time, were best served by Tony Lynn 15's 26 touches, 7 marks and 1 goal and ably supported by _Cayz_ (21 disposals, 7 tackles) and Matty411 (16 kicks, 7 hitouts, 1 goal).​
QkZpWJC.png

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Warriors – Frankston Rover & pantskyle
The experienced pair have been at the forefront for the Warriors in their poor month and lead the side from the stoppages. Pants was a lone hand in Round 13 against the Hawks with 15 touches and 7 tackles whilst the Warriors captain has averaged 19 disposals and 7 touches across the season. The Bombers' strength tends to lie out the outside so if pants and FR can dominate in the middle it could make it hard for Baghdad to explode.

Bombers - Tony Lynn 15 & Matty411
Tony has been a great contributor all season and a major reason to Baghdad's continued improvement in the attacking department. After starting the season on a flank, he moved to the wing and regularly racks up 25+ disposals. He is equal second in the league for that stat, with an average of 21.6, and only behind another Bomber in Matty411. M411's transformation epitomises Baghdad's season; he started off in shocking form and even considered giving up the ruck spot. Now, he leads the league for disposals with 306 in 14 games and is second in hitouts with an average of 12.2. He was best on ground in Round 13 with 16 hitouts and 28 disposals and if he can do as well against Freofalcon it gives them a massive advantage.​
NETcxuC.png

Prediction: Warriors by 7 points

Thanks to kdavva74 for assistance with ideas, research, writeups & layout

Eppl7gs.png

Coney Island Warriors v Baghdad Bombers
Van Cortlandt Park

Two months ago, you would have pencilled this in to be possibly the least exciting game imaginable - the winless Bombers travelling to the undefeated Warriors. Now, both clubs have a whole lot to play for. The Bombers have bounced back from their horror start to the season, winning four of their last five and putting the Dragons to the sword in Round 13 to the tune of 54 points. Their midfield has been superb for most of the season and if they can nab a win on the road at Van Cortlandt Park it would go a long way to securing an unlikely finals berth.

Meanwhile, the hosts' season is in freefall after their winning streak was cut short at seven wins. They're 1-6 since then but remain in 2nd thanks to the Gumbies' penalty points. To say they need a win is a massive understatement, as finishing outside of the finals is still a possibility. The Warriors get a chance, at home, to secure a spot in the eight and increase their chances of a home final in Week 1.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Earlier This Season: Baghdad Bombers 8.7 (55) defeated by Coney Island Warriors 12.15 (87)

The high-flying Warriors travelled to Abdu Prison to take on the then-winless Bombers in what many viewed as a lop-sided fixture. The Bombers stayed in touch for the majority of the match but Coney Island were ultimately in front all day, leading by 3 at quarter time, 11 at half time and 20 at the last break. A 4 goal fourth quarter sealed Baghdad's fate, with the Warriors comfortably winning by 32. Freofalcon was easily best-on-ground despite winning just 6 hitouts in the ruck as he finished with 32 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal, whilst the Warriors also got good value out of TheInjuryFactory (29 disposals, 7 marks), BigJoeD_ (4 goals) and zackah (18 disposals, 2 goals). The Bombers, still working through their offensive issues at the time, were best served by Tony Lynn 15's 26 touches, 7 marks and 1 goal and ably supported by _Cayz_ (21 disposals, 7 tackles) and Matty411 (16 kicks, 7 hitouts, 1 goal).​
QkZpWJC.png

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Warriors – Frankston Rover & pantskyle
The experienced pair have been at the forefront for the Warriors in their poor month and lead the side from the stoppages. Pants was a lone hand in Round 13 against the Hawks with 15 touches and 7 tackles whilst the Warriors captain has averaged 19 disposals and 7 touches across the season. The Bombers' strength tends to lie out the outside so if pants and FR can dominate in the middle it could make it hard for Baghdad to explode.

Bombers - Tony Lynn 15 & Matty411
Tony has been a great contributor all season and a major reason to Baghdad's continued improvement in the attacking department. After starting the season on a flank, he moved to the wing and regularly racks up 25+ disposals. He is equal second in the league for that stat, with an average of 21.6, and only behind another Bomber in Matty411. M411's transformation epitomises Baghdad's season; he started off in shocking form and even considered giving up the ruck spot. Now, he leads the league for disposals with 306 in 14 games and is second in hitouts with an average of 12.2. He was best on ground in Round 13 with 16 hitouts and 28 disposals and if he can do as well against Freofalcon it gives them a massive advantage.​
NETcxuC.png

Prediction: Warriors by 7 points

Thanks to kdavva74 for assistance with ideas, research, writeups & layout

Great OP with only one glaring error, the predicted result.

I post here and I'm 16% of the thread.

I post in the Wonders thread and I don't even register 1%.

No surprise to see both the Warriors and the Bombers are involved in this one...
giphy.gif

I post here and I'm 16% of the thread.

I post in the Wonders thread and I don't even register 1%.

No surprise to see both the Warriors and the Bombers are involved in this one...
tenor.gif

Get ******! I just read five pages to catch up on my own thread and I miss six posts in here? Tony Lynn 15, start bouncing some heads!

I don't want to go too early, it reflects my love life too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're too embarrassed to show our faces :$

Talk me through what it looks like inside the 'injury factory'?

We have a factory at work. It is like most normal factories, big and it makes s**t. We have a small quarantined area for what we call defects. I assume the injury factory basically just has one big defect area?

Really interested in your perspective.

Thanks in advance,

Tony xxoo

when you see a trail of bombers being carried off the ground on Sunday you will understand the user name

when you see a trail of bombers being carried off the ground on Sunday you will understand the user name

Please do not interrupt. I am trying to have a conversation with the manager of the 'injury factory' and have no interest in speaking to his leading hand.

We have a factory at work. It is like most normal factories, big and it makes s**t. We have a small quarantined area for what we call defects. I assume the injury factory basically just has one big defect area?

Really interested in your perspective.

Thanks in advance,

Tony xxoo
I can show you what the injury factory looks like inside you on Sunday if you like?

Best,

TIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back