Vintage Bay Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry
Don't get this at all
10?
Who is it?
He seems quite fit, but never recall having seen the fella
Is this a young person secret thing i won't get?
It must mean something to others as it got likes

Jared Maxwell nrl ref sending someone to the sin bin for 10 mins for misconduct

Jared Maxwell nrl ref sending someone to the sin bin for 10 mins for misconduct
Ta mate
A soccer umpire with a red card would have made more sense to me.
nrl is an unwatchable waste of time for me. Even the state of origin looks like shaved gorillas running into each other for mine & induces narcolepsy in me.

Ta mate
A soccer umpire with a red card would have made more sense to me.
nrl is an unwatchable waste of time for me. Even the state of origin looks like shaved gorillas running into each other for mine & induces narcolepsy in me.
If you cared to look a little closer and take an interest in a sport outside the confines of your very narrow world sports view where AFL reigns supreme over all others simply because it's Australian, you'd probably notice that most of them aren't even shaved gorillas.

If you cared to look a little closer and take an interest in a sport outside the confines of your very narrow world sports view where AFL reigns supreme over all others simply because it's Australian, you'd probably notice that most of them aren't even shaved gorillas.
That French squad havent seen a shaver between them in their lives!

That French squad havent seen a shaver between them in their lives!
Unshaven French gorillas. Imagine the stench - body odour, stinky cheese and rotten bananas

Settle petal
Just because I don't like the Neanderthal relatives league, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate other sports
FYI I have played (never very well) sports as varied as curling, European handball, & sepak takrow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle petal
Just because I don't like the Neanderthal relatives league, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate other sports
FYI I have played (never very well) sports as varied as curling, European handball, & sepak takrow

another fight close to Xmas,happy Krimbo guys.
I played mixed netball once, but I wasnt interested in it nor do I appreciate it ! Got sent off, and didnt get anywhere with the girls...

handbag_fight.gif

Settle petal
I thought my post was pretty obviously satire, but I guess not.

Was probably the Saints best player in the replay. Was also one of their best the previous year despite playing with a broken nose and shoulder.

There you go. I don't remember much at all about that second Grand Final tbh. I like that we'll never see another replay at all.

Player(s) #10 - Tom Lynch (C) & Steven May (C)

388907-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Pictured: Suns Co-Captains discussing their exit strategy

Death, taxes, and Suns losing their captains. The final 10 for this years' Bottom 50 kicks off with some inevitabilities.

Now I don't want to say the Gold Coast Suns are dead as an organisation but the best thing you could say about them right now is that they are 'pining for the Fjords'. After losing Captain Gary Ablett Jnr last year to Geelong, Gold Coast insisted that the club direction was on track but disaster struck again this year as both captains decided they desperately wanted to play 'anywhere but here'.

Tom Lynch could have been the highest paid player in the game next year if you include contracts, marketing allowance and 'AFL ambassador' payments which look about as legit a payment as a Trump cheque to a money grubbing pr0n star. The fact that he turned that cash down and even took a pay cut to play in Victoria next year speaks volumes about how attractive a proposition Gold Coast is right now. Word is US prosecutors are desperately trying to get Gold Coast to name Julian Assange as 2019 captain and then set up a 'temporary office' in Melbourne next November. In fairness to Ecuadorian embassies, they're still a more attractive proposition than AFLX.

The Tom Lynch exit meeting with his teammates didn't go that well if reports are to be believe. None other than Lachie Weller who broke his contract with Freo less than 12 months earlier to go to the Suns apparently piped up in the meeting, in such a stunning display of hypocrisy and self-awareness that the Nationals would like to recruit him as a Minister. Steven May followed his co-captain out of the door shortly afterwards after the Suns pressed him on how committed he was to the club long term and his response was about as strong as Telstra's commitment to customer service.

It might be time for a radical idea or two at the Gold Coast Suns, and Mofra might just be the person to provide it. Here goes:
- Don't appoint captains who are likely to piss off as soon as they can
- If you can't retain captains, don't appoint two of them. You'll lose two players, not one.
- Lastly, extra snacks at half time. I think we know where the halftime oranges keep disappearing to:
558920-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Pictured: "I hope there's chocolate in this giant egg"

Above all though, Lynch and May pissing off has combined to rip the guts out of the club who start their third complete rebuild after just 7 years of playing in the AFL competition. Who would have thought that starting a team in a non-traditional AFL state within a narrow strip of disparate towns incongruously referred to as a 'city' or 'region' that has a history of sporting organisations failing would not go that well? It's almost like the AFL make plans that are ill thought through, poorly designed and don't take into account what any fans want:

9400904-3x2-700x467.jpg

Wait, not stupid enough. Can we make it less relevant somehow?

283996f8928d0198ea541bd92ab3a202

Ah that's better.

Anyway after spending the year as captains of the 17th placed side Tom Lynch is off to Richmond (top four in 2018) and Steven May is off to Melbourne (top four in 2018) which show the AFL's equalisation measures are working really really well. It's ok though because the AFL are handing Gold Coast an extra $850k next year which ironically is about what either of those players are on per season. Apparently Gold Coast have already spent the money on some magic beans and St Kilda has expressed interest in bringing the beans home next year.

Anyway Tom and Steve, good luck at your respective clubs next year and more importantly massive kudos to any Gold Coast fan who has continued to follow their club through this sham facade of an AFL thought-bubble. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.

Death, taxes, and Suns losing their captains. The final 10 for this years' Bottom 50 kicks off with some inevitabilities.

Now I don't want to say the Gold Coast Suns are dead as an organisation but the best thing you could say about them right now is that they are 'pining for the Fjords'. After losing Captain Gary Ablett Jnr last year to Geelong, Gold Coast insisted that the club direction was on track but disaster struck again this year as both captains decided they desperately wanted to play 'anywhere but here'.

Tom Lynch could have been the highest paid player in the game next year if you include contracts, marketing allowance and 'AFL ambassador' payments which look about as legit a payment as a Trump cheque to a money grubbing pr0n star. The fact that he turned that cash down and even took a pay cut to play in Victoria next year speaks volumes about how attractive a proposition Gold Coast is right now. Word is US prosecutors are desperately trying to get Gold Coast to name Julian Assange as 2019 captain and then set up a 'temporary office' in Melbourne next November. In fairness to Ecuadorian embassies, they're still a more attractive proposition than AFLX.

The Tom Lynch exit meeting with his teammates didn't go that well if reports are to be believe. None other than Lachie Weller who broke his contract with Freo less than 12 months earlier to go to the Suns apparently piped up in the meeting, in such a stunning display of hypocrisy and self-awareness that the Nationals would like to recruit him as a Minister. Steven May followed his co-captain out of the door shortly afterwards after the Suns pressed him on how committed he was to the club long term and his response was about as strong as Telstra's commitment to customer service.

It might be time for a radical idea or two at the Gold Coast Suns, and Mofra might just be the person to provide it. Here goes:
- If you can't retain captains, don't appoint two of them. You'll lose two players, not one.
- Lastly, extra snacks at half time. I think we know where the halftime oranges keep disappearing to:

Above all though, Lynch and May pissing off has combined to rip the guts out of the club who start their third complete rebuild after just 7 years of playing in the AFL competition. Who would have thought that starting a team in a non-traditional AFL state within a narrow strip of disparate towns incongruously referred to as a 'city' or 'region' that has a history of sporting organisations failing would not go that well? It's almost like the AFL make plans that are ill thought through, poorly designed and don't take into account what any fans want:

9400904-3x2-700x467.jpg

Ah that's better.

Anyway after spending the year as captains of the 17th placed side Tom Lynch is off to Richmond (top four in 2018) and Steven May is off to Melbourne (top four in 2018) which show the AFL's equalisation measures are working really really well. It's ok though because the AFL are handing Gold Coast an extra $850k next year which ironically is about what either of those players are on per season. Apparently Gold Coast have already spent the money on some magic beans and St Kilda has expressed interest in bringing the beans home next year.

Anyway Tom and Steve, good luck at your respective clubs next year and more importantly massive kudos to any Gold Coast fan who has continued to follow their club through this sham facade of an AFL thought-bubble. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.
I read this in the tone of "not angry, just disappointed".

Great year for the talls.

As we approach the end of another Bottom 50, the big men aren’t getting any smaller .....

And so they stand out more due to their massive spud-ness..... :p

9400904-3x2-700x467.jpg

Ah that's better.

The funniest bit will be when they move deeper into the bottom 50 next year.

Both are extremely over rated and have become far too dependent on the "They're in a terrible team and carry a huge burden" crap. What a load of crap. If they were half as good as what so many proclaim them to be, they would of stood out but instead, they make Touk Miller look like a jet.

Player #9 - Andrew Gaff

409cdfe813b52594ed1406c8296e39d4d4c1228a

Pictured: Andrew Gaff appears 'over the moon' for his teammates to have won the Grand Final

Wait, wut? Gaff who was probably in the Brownlow conversation up until round 19 2018? Yes, that Andrew Gaff.

You see the Bottom 50 has always been weighted toward finals performances. Some guys just dominate (or at least, contribute strongly during) the H&A season but then either play well below their best in September (Nick Riewoldt), well below their best (Gary Rohan) or get a medal named after them (the great Leon Davis). Gaff one-upped all of them but getting himself into the best form of his career, earning the respect of all and sundry until a moment of ill-disciplined madness ruled him out for the rest of the year:

1533728234-punch.jpg

Pictured: A flush hit to the mouth of a teenager

Now, it's not the 50s anymore - coward punches are not on, least of all on a football field. It was the biggest story in the AFL world this year at the time - as big as other timeless classics such as the Essendon drugs saga, Wayne Carey on Kelli Stevens, and that time Andrew Walker wore a hat to training .

Fortunately for West Coast they copped Collingwood twice in September who tend to choke in big finals harder than the Western Sydney Giants tend to choke in big finals. This meant West Coast losing their best midfielder for the month didn't hurt them as much as it would have done in every other single year in AFL/VFL history except for 1924 in which no Grand Final was played (Essendon still claim the flag from that year because they are dirty dirty cheats). Bottom line is Gaff's contribution in September was confined to cheering his teammates on from the sidelines which, as you can see from the first photo, he filled with muted gusto.

Of course that didn't mean the athleticism attached to the Gaff name stopped: some West Coast fans engaged in acts of mental gymnastics so impressive they'd need to pee in a vial just to watch Olympic highlights on you-tube. One particular meltdown was damn near award-worthy.

bagdad-bob.jpg

Pictured: The West Coast Eagles cheer squad captain

The Brayshaws to their credit have largely played down the issue despite there being at least some portion of recessive attention-whore gene in the family DNA.

193546-james-brayshaw.jpg

Pictured: Does KissStephanie still post on BF?

Anyway long story short, Andrew Gaff assaulted a teenager which makes him a perfect candidate for the Bottom 50 for 2018 and sadly the US Supreme Court as well.

Gaff, good luck in the pre-season and your delayed start to 2019. I believe you when you say it was out of character, welcome to your first (and likely, last) entry in the Bottom 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back