Opinion What's the Buzza?

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
A recent piece in The Roar has chosen Wylie Buzza as the Cats player who "could be set for a career defining season".

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/...er-defining-season-at-your-afl-club-part-one/

"In his few appearances at the top level, Buzza has looked more than handy as a key forward for the Cats. Although his opportunities now appear to be limited slightly more given the rapid development of Esava Ratugolea.

Given Tom Hawkins isn’t getting any younger, Chris Scott’s side may look to keep hold of Buzza moving forward."

It's hard not to agree that this season will be career-defining for Buzza - but in which way?

I don’t hold much hope for him unless he can somehow find a way to start sticking marks. Has dropped some absolute sitters.

He is still pretty young though (21?) and big guys do take years to develop. Especially ones coming from a non-afl background.

Will probably be delisted within 2 yrs though.

He's just bought a house locally. Could be a bit of incentive to stick his marks.
Like most young players, he still has time. But he hasn't yet grasped his chances like Esava has.

Plenty of guys struggle in one position and become a star in others. One rarely if become a quality forward being such an ordinary mark. Franklin is not a great mark but brings so much else to the table... maybe Buzza can become a KPB...maybe they can improve his marking but the game against Port (I think) was so bad ...is it a coincidence that we have now recruited a couple of likely talls ..? Eye sight ? bad hands..what ever it that which he needs to improve to get selected again.
Add to the fact is that part of his selection were based around being a rel ruck he may struggle to get picked again...unless he does improve as a KPP.

The article seems to have just grabbed his name rather than to really nail the best chance for a career defining season.... for mine someone like Parfitt is far more likely to step up to the next level and maybe become a star.

He's just bought a house locally. Could be a bit of incentive to stick his marks.
Like most young players, he still has time. But he hasn't yet grasped his chances like Esava has.
Wouldn't read to much into the buying of the house, Geelong would look like Las Vegas compared to anything in the Lockyer Valley.Bit of an ugly duckling(Hi Lingy)I wish him luck but the odds are still against him,would love for him to make it.

He'll be a defender in the VFL this year, so basically guaranteed to be depth.

He's actually a bit underrated at times, just because his eyesight has been overstated as a problem. Unlikely to make it, but he'd be one of the better kicks to be a key defender if he did. Still has such a sexy action.

Had a bad year in 2018 thought he looked ok and did a few good things in 2017...only thing i thought improved in 2018 was his ruck work.....i hope he makes it just for his name...needs alot to go right to make it but

He'll be a defender in the VFL this year, so basically guaranteed to be depth.

He's actually a bit underrated at times, just because his eyesight has been overstated as a problem. Unlikely to make it, but he'd be one of the better kicks to be a key defender if he did. Still has such a sexy action.
Whether he plays back, forward or ruck, he has a few in front of him.
If he does make it, I hope it's because he is good enough and not because of injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only see him making it if he develops as a Key Defender. With a few older guys nearing retirement, he might be safe for 2 seasons. Although, I'd probably only give him one season.

Whether he plays back, forward or ruck, he has a few in front of him.
If he does make it, I hope it's because he is good enough and not because of injuries.
Looked good as a key defender late in the year. Awful timing for his injury, it would have been great to see him have more of a finals series.

"In his few appearances at the top level, Buzza has looked more than handy as a key forward for the Cats"

"In his few appearances at the top level, Buzza has looked more than handy as a key forward for the Cats"

no

no

Good luck top him in trying to remove Tom Hawkins and Esava Ratugolea from the two KPF posts.
He may also have to push aside Jarvis and Kreuger in 2019. Who knows?

He works hard without the ball, seems highly professional, has a desire to stick to team structures.

I always said in relation to him, I'm not sure how good he is, but the above traits will at least allow us to find out.
I believe we found out last year, he isn't up to it.
Give him a run as a defender (in the VFL) and see if he impresses, because I don't think he ever makes it as a Key Forward.

Buzza has this year only IMO.

I too , expect him to play as a negating KPD (a la Lonergan) in the VFL .

I think this is his best hope. it removes some of the game comprehension problems that still linger (trouble getting involved enough up forward) and the generally poor overhead marking (closing speed and spoiling would become more important).

Majak Daw (who had the game awareness problem) looked so much better last year when played in defence than when he played up forward. No reason Wiley can't provide some value down back. Reduces his weaknesses and highlights his strengths (vigour and penetrating kicking).

Think I read somewhere that he has an issue with his eyes which adds a degree of difficulty, especially with marking.
correct....

well documented and discussed depth perception issue. Working very hard to remedy it.

Go Catters

He works hard without the ball, seems highly professional, has a desire to stick to team structures.

I always said in relation to him, I'm not sure how good he is, but the above traits will at least allow us to find out.
I believe we found out last year, he isn't up to it.
Give him a run as a defender (in the VFL) and see if he impresses, because I don't think he ever makes it as a Key Forward.

We found out in 3 games that he isn't up to it? Wow.

Maybe we'd really find out if they pumped some games into him like they do with the s**t trucks they keep giving undeserved games to.

We found out in 3 games that he isn't up to it? Wow.

Maybe we'd really find out if they pumped some games into him like they do with the s**t trucks they keep giving undeserved games to.

All players have potential... whether they are Mack's or Hino's or Kenworth's or whatever they "purchased" to hopefully do a job ... only were are purchasing them not just on the assy line ...its on the drafting board ..in design... and we really dont really know if get the truck we hope for.

We cant give them all games .. of the 40 something on our list ..there will be guys who we thought had potential , who will eventually go with only a few or maybe no games to their names. If Buzza has an issue (eyes) that is not a development issue but a ongoing hinderance then we will probably see others preferred unless he can demonstrate that he has obvious talent and its not a factor. As it stands up to now , and with the addition of some fresh talls... Buzza really has some pressure to elevate himself to be selected IF a spot is available. Can he become a tall back? Its up to him.. but like all players the clock is ticking.. some players get more time than others.. and he has already been given more of a go than a Gardner etc.. so the club must see something they like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back