Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

We also played fewer men at stoppages to hold our shape and make using the ball harder. Teams worked through us with accurate hand ball later in the season so we may have to have a complete rethink at how we approach around ground stoppages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We finished 18-4 and screwed up one game so our system was just fine, as for later in the year i don't think clubs worked through us and i really hope people are not basing what happened in the prelim as a reason to turn the gameplan completely upside down.

Yes there will be tweaks to our style of play but there will not be a complete rethink.

Round 19: pies won the clearances by 11 but lost the inside fifty count by 10
Round 20: cats won the clearances by 7 but lost the inside fifty count by 22
Round 21: Suns won the clearances by 4 but lost the inside fifty count by 20
Round 22: Bombers won the clearances by 10 but lost the inside fifty count by 13
Round 23: Bulldogs won the clearances by 5 but lost the inside fifty count by 12
Qual Final: hawks won the clearances by 3 but lost the inside fifty count by 30

Hardly looks like teams worked through us and all the above Richmond won until the prelim where we just ****ed up all over the ground and is not a reason to have a complete rethink on clearances.

Tom lynch didnt do much more than jog apparently
I'd be amazed if any of the players did more than just jog, i went to the christmas open session at Holm Park and it was so low key i was surprised players and fans didn't fall asleep. If you want to see the players get put through their paces don't go to an open training session.

I'd be amazed if any of the players did more than just jog, i went to the christmas open session at Holm Park and it was so low key i was surprised players and fans didn't fall asleep. If you want to see the players get put through their paces don't go to an open training session.

Yeah they are a PR exercise more than anything not that that is a bad thing

I went to open training this morning, probably about 500 people there.

In brief, Lynch was just doing some running around the boundary for about an hour, gee he is one tall boy. RCD looks like a jet, big thighs and upper body too, he just moves beautifully. From the photos from Draft day I thought he was a young looking skinny kid, he's far from that, he really surprised me. Balta is enormous and moves really well too. Caddy looks to have toned down a little too

Overall they trained for 1.5 hours and looked really crisp.

I went to open training this morning, probably about 500 people there.

In brief, Lynch was just doing some running around the boundary for about an hour, gee he is one tall boy. RCD looks like a jet, big thighs and upper body too, he just moves beautifully. From the photos from Draft day I thought he was a young looking skinny kid, he's far from that, he really surprised me. Balta is enormous and moves really well too. Caddy looks to have toned down a little too

Overall they trained for 1.5 hours and looked really crisp.
Well it has been hot lately :sunface::blacksunrays::grin:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Riewoldt interviewed after this mornings session- mentioned Lynch was running st top pace now.
Also said the Collier- Dawkins and Ross were ready for senior football
Great media performer is Jack - very polished

Just watched the JR Interview

Disappointed that Tom Lynch is not in full training yet,Would have thought come new year he would have been well and truly into full training but looking like delayed by month with just 60 days to round 1 - Touch n Go

Great to hear about RCD & Ross being mentioned by Jack as being young players that could play this year and having bigger bodies will be great to recover some depth thats gone out the door

Thing that i noticed most about the JR interview was the amount of times he mentioned Mav Weller, Looks like Jack is a fan and Mav has impressed the senior group and maybe we may just see more of Mav than we might have first expected as supporters - I wounder if he has the Hugg's that Conc's had

We were ranked 3rd for centre clearances in 2018, it was our general play clearances which were poor but i believe we conceded these to set up behind the ball as stoppage clearances are normally rushed under pressure and this is where we forced the turnover.
Yeah it definitely seemed to be a part of our gamestyle. Like, Grigg was acting as our ruck. Having said that, we may need to get more serious about that now. The Grigg experiment is over.

I think we may need to experiment with a 3rd tall. In comes Balta.

He can perform as a KPF while being large enough (apparently around 195-197-cm) to perform as an actual relief ruck. Needs to increase his endurance or else we may become a bit too heavy in our forward line but it is worth a shot. Our forward line will become hard to beat on the ground and in the air as well as our midfielders being given a better chance at winning stoppage clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back