Games you replay over and over

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 AFL grand final is like a surreal dream other contenders.

06 vs the cats 54 pnt comeback
Leccas dirty dozen vs ess
Judd’s 5 goals against Brisbane
Hawks 2015 qualifying final

The 2008 Grand Final is my most watched thing ever, including all the movie I love (and I'm a massive movie buff). I have spent hours and hours watching that, including the game from end to end, cherry-picking the third quarter (except the last 2 minutes where the umps fall all over themselves trying to get the cats back into it, of course), and videos on Youtube. Especially this one:

I was there that day. There are many, many great Hawthorn games that I love (I was also there in '89), but there is something truly special, truly surreal, about that game. I will treasure that memory and the replays for ever.

The 2007 Prelim - Cats v Collingwood. I was at the game and it was the most intense feeling I had ever had. After the final siren I just sat there for a few minutes in shock. It was the real GF that year.

Xtreme, 2014 GF was it? Surely not 2013.

I don't think I've seen any one game more than a couple of times, but I could watch the last 5 minutes of the 2018 GF over and over. Or 2006, but that was less exciting because Malceski kicked the last goal and the final play was in the Swans forward 50. If the siren sounded at 'Chick! Hunter! Goal!' it would've been more epic.

Xtreme, 2014 GF was it? Surely not 2013.

All of them!!! The 2013 is just as exciting for me as the thrashings of 2014 and 2015 were :D.

I have been building up a solid library of football games on dvd (and on portable hard drives) over the last 6 years or so. I have all of the AFL era grand finals on dvd (I have multiple copies of some of them too from collecting them individually before the "25 years of afl grand finals" collection came out in 2014).

Most of my collection consists of Hawthorn regular season and finals series matches (mostly collected from various box sets released in recent years like classics vols 1 & 2, greatest thrashings, nail biters etc) but also recorded from the (gulp) channel 7 broadcasts.

I can watch games with neutral teams, but it helps if I have a vested interest in one or the other (eg: I'll watch a match in the hope that Geelong loses :D). In the 2018 finals series I watched a lot of neutral grand finals (as I do every year anyway) but also finals series matches, I really enjoyed the 2017 Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final where Geelong was thrashed :D. On the flipside, the 2011 grand final is one of my favourite matches to watch due to the circumstances (Mick Malthouse's last game as Collingwood coach, and watching their quest for back to back flags implode at the final hurdle!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These days I sit restlessly alone in a dark room, the hum of the slide projector the only sound as I look at the old grainy slides of the Demons glory years. The stills almost come to life on the wall as I imagine what it must be like to see a Premiership. Barrass, Ridley and Dixon flicker past in sepia as I change slides. The room smells of stale cigarettes and empty bottles of whiskey. I don’t sleep much these days. The images of 87 wash over me in a morbid regularity that keeps me awake until I finally fall into a fitful sleep, exhausted from nervous worry........

I don’t like this thread much 🤣

1992 GF, I think I must’ve liked torturing myself as a kid. I had watched all our losing grand finals often.
I have seen the 1990 GF plenty of times, my pa was a big Collingwood fan and I just enjoyed watching grand finals when I was young.
The after the siren finals in ‘94 when I wanted to watch a win.
As I got older I don’t watch replays as often so ‘08 I’ve seen only twice. 2007 got a fair old going over haha and than ‘09 took over.
I also like floggings, so I’ve enjoyed the 1992 game vs Brisbane scoring 239, Rd 6 2007 vs Richmond, a truly great day, the beginning of dominance, scoring 222 and of course crushing Melbourne in 2011 233-47.

2016 Dogs and Giants prelim for sure.Giants out to a 3 goal lead and im thinking here we go again. But the intensity of both sides was immense. And that bont goal where JJ's run and the way Bont taps it to get it to bounce up to him was classy. If it was Hunter or Dunks it might have been different.

all of the eagles finals from 2018.
eagles v north 2012 elimination final.
eagles v crows, preliminary finals 2006.
eagles v pies 2003, round 8 2003.
eagles v lions, round 5 2002.

neutral:
both showdowns from 2018
2016 GF
2012 GF
2010 drawn GF
2002 GF

The 99 prelim seems to be replayed often on tv and foxtel, so cannot help but see it a few times but actually do not go looking for it.
I used to watch replays over and over more in 80's when recorded stuff off 7's Big Replay Show. Wish I still had lot of it to watch again but lost.
More used to browsing youtube in these days.

This I watched a few months back, A ripper of a game seeing greats from Carlton and Eagles go at it. Silvagni takes some crazy mark late in game where nearly knocks himself out. Exciting game full of great highlights.

The 2008 Grand Final is my most watched thing ever, including all the movie I love (and I'm a massive movie buff). I have spent hours and hours watching that, including the game from end to end, cherry-picking the third quarter (except the last 2 minutes where the umps fall all over themselves trying to get the cats back into it, of course), and videos on Youtube. Especially this one:

I was there that day. There are many, many great Hawthorn games that I love (I was also there in '89), but there is something truly special, truly surreal, about that game. I will treasure that memory and the replays for ever.

I was there that day too. It was truly awful.

Yeah that is it.. one of many... shushing you are wandering to my ear plugs... they are temperamental..

Don't know why really, but the last quarter of the 2014 pf loss to Hawthorn is one of my favourites.

There is an alternative reality universe somewhere where Port win that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back