Game Day Collingwood v Melbourne Practice Match

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I could see we did seem to play a 3 tall forward line , featuring Coxy, Reid, Mihocek and, at times Wills. I thought Mihocek pretty anonymous in this game, and seemed to get lost playing that 3rd banana role. OTOH, Reid has definitely lost a yard, but the ageing old warhorse knows how to present and have big man presence. I prefer Mihocek, but he needs to play better than this
Agreed on Mihochek. He did not have a good game and barely touched the ball. Reid at least kicked a couple of goals, the 2nd from the 50 meter mark. Lynch did well in the ruck and took a nice running mark under pressure while in the forward line then spun around and eluded his opponent. I thought he really showed something today in the ruck against Gawn. Aish was my best player till half time - he seemed to be everywhere. Greenwood very reliable in defence and great to see Elliott last the game and kick a couple of goals. One player who I thought did next to nothing was Nathan Murphy. He does look tall now but just did not get into the game at all. Mayne was fairly busy, especially in the second half. Thomas and Phillips were both quiet. Beams kicked a couple of nice goals and weill be a welcome addition to the team. Adams was one of our best. I was surprised by how many Melbourne supporters were around me. I had also counted on a food van or two but there were none.

Great to see rupert out there after 2 seasons of heartache

A huge improvement for him

Rekin he will improve us a fair bit in lieu of new rules forward

He's definitely had a hard run, deserves to stay on the park for a while. Looked good today.

I thought Aish looked involved.

Elliott was the highlight for me, ran well, looked sharp.

Taylor Adams was everywhere, but the mids were otherwise quite scratchy. Dees were able to move the ball a lot better. The Dees look ominous in the air.

Good crowd, beautiful weather, the near-return of another season makes JB happy.

I was there, what I really liked was Aish, Elliot and Moore looked good too, Greenwood and Langdon.

I particularly liked Maynard gathering the defenders together at one time and was almost directing. Thought it was good leadership.

Others have covered most of the other things and I would only add that Quaynor good skills and speed but may not play early, a couple of times tried to do too much?

Are we going to rely more on handball?

One thing that does annoy me is our forward setup, still very stagnant, not much giving the player with the ball an option so ball is just banged in.

Just one game might be me going early but not sure if Thomas and even Mihocek are walk up starters.

I was there, what I really liked was Aish, Elliot and Moore looked good too, Greenwood and Langdon.

I particularly liked Maynard gathering the defenders together at one time and was almost directing. Thought it was good leadership.

Others have covered most of the other things and I would only add that Quaynor good skills and speed but may not play early, a couple of times tried to do too much?

One thing that does annoy me is our forward setup, still very stagnant, not much giving the player with the ball an option so ball is just banged in.

Just one game might be me going early but not sure if Thomas and even Mihocek are walk up starters.
I thought Quaynor lacked a bit of strength against the bigger bodies. Will need time despite being touted as an early inclusion. Agreed about Thomas and Mihochek and our stagnant forward line entry.

Think our forward line becomes a lot more mobile when you add Stephenson, DeGoey and Varcoe. But you are correct was very stagnant. Todays set up had Wills and Crocker who I dont think will play much this season

Edit: Think we had all of Wills, Reid, Mihocek, Cox and Crocker play up forward today, bit top heavy

Think our forward line becomes a lot more mobile when you add Stephenson, DeGoey and Varcoe. But you are correct was very stagnant. Todays set up had Wills and Crocker who I dont think will play much this season

By the sounds of it: Wills, Crocker, Reid, Mihocek and Cox all up forward together? If true, the ball should have pinged out at breakneck speed.

Nice little scratch match to blow the cobwebs out, plenty of positives and so many seniors players to come in to this side. Scoreboard irrelevant

In all honesty I didnt see much of Crocker today, can anyone confirm he played forward?

I didn't notice him either.......did he really play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: Think we had all of Wills, Reid, Mihocek, Cox and Crocker play up forward today, bit top heavy

Add those bolded above instantly fix a glaring problem today...…..crumbers.

Add those bolded above instantly fix a glaring problem today...…..crumbers.
Elliott was the only smaller effective player we had up there.

Didn't think either of the Browns or Daicos impressed today. I think we took the game less seriously than Melbourne and I am sure the boys were fairly eager to avoid injury, as evidenced by a piece of play where Phillips failed to put his body on the line.

Got down to the ground and watched pretty much the whole game. Cracking weather and a great crowd turnout. Possibly a bigger crowd than the final training session before the granny.

Things I noticed:

Score was indicative of the way both teams played. Dees looked sharper but also had nearly a complete best 22 lineup. We were missing at least 6 of our best 10. They were better in the air and cleaner in disposal, our pressure was better.

Sier is gonna slay this year. Standout in an undermanned Pies midfield

Mayne was our best on from my vantage point (and I’m usually a harsh judge on his output). Was in everything with his head over the ball and v good disposal. Had a q3 purple patch.

Wills didn’t do too much but has lost so much weight he looks like a different person! Laid one trademark Wills bodyslam tackle.

AT looks back to full fitness and TA looks like a beast.

Gawn toweled up Lynch.

IQ had all his little brothers and his mum looked after by the club in their own private tent sitting w Tarks. He didn’t come on til H2 and did two plays that got the faithful gasping. Can see he’s still biting off a bit more than he can chew but he’s gonna be a steal.

Reid tried hard but isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Hopefully insurance and not best 22 this year.

Daics and Cal Brown looked fitter and were decent.

Moore made a few errors but took a couple of nice contested grabs.

Langdon picked up where last season left off. Contested marking beast and our best defender today for mine (though with a couple of iffy Langers pressure disposals).

Checkers extremely quiet.

Maynard looking as fit as I’ve seen him and was good 1v1 today.

And finally.... Beammmmssooo!!!
Soo good to have him back. Has lost absolutely nothing and kicked two lovely clutch goals on the run from 50 as is his forte. He’s gonna be unbelievable for us and worth every trade penny.

Enjoy the weekend dudes/ettes!

Poor signs for his contract if the club chose not to play Crocker in my view. Atu I understand
Long bow unless we know reasoning.

My understanding is this practice game and the following two pre-season games is being used as a block of three games with the intent for most players to get two games in (injuries and fitness levels obviously will have their say).

We don’t know if Crocker is slated for the two pre-season games eg not flying Elliott for the freo game.

Maybe Crocker is not quite right and not risked?

We just don’t know.

Separately all that aside, I’d think this season will be his swan song all the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back