Teams 2019 Fantasy - Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that mean he has more room to roam free With players like treloar and sidey getting more attention from opposition ? He went nuts towards the end of the year and wouldn't be surprised to see 110 + from him
I was a very happy Beams owner last year. He just gets the job done each week

Does that mean he has more room to roam free With players like treloar and sidey getting more attention from opposition ? He went nuts towards the end of the year and wouldn't be surprised to see 110 + from him

I completely agree with you. I can see him with a 110 average for the year. I am thinking there are one or two others at his price range that offer marginally better value, but thats just me. I don't think you can go wrong selecting Beams, but i'm happy to wait and see.

This is a bit different to others posted but I'm keen to hear what people think about it.

Lloyd Smith Williams Ridley Clark Duursma (170k's)
Coniglio Cripps Oliver Treloar Yeo B. Crouch Walsh rookies
Witts Lobb 170kx2
Danger Heeney T. Kelly Worpel Setterfield Drew (Parker, Petreucelle)

Rookies depend on whoever gets named on Thursday night. Lobb feels awful to pick but he'll become Mumford in round 3 or 4. Like having unique mids in Oliver, Treloar and Yeo who could give me an edge.

This is a bit different to others posted but I'm keen to hear what people think about it.

Lloyd Smith Williams Ridley Clark Duursma (170k's)
Coniglio Cripps Oliver Treloar Yeo B. Crouch Walsh rookies
Witts Lobb 170kx2
Danger Heeney T. Kelly Worpel Setterfield Drew (Parker, Petreucelle)

Rookies depend on whoever gets named on Thursday night. Lobb feels awful to pick but he'll become Mumford in round 3 or 4. Like having unique mids in Oliver, Treloar and Yeo who could give me an edge.

Not so keen on Lobb, particularly if Darcy is playing, but I get the idea that you can have an excellent midfield which you do.
Could you get one of your big gun mids to Zerrett and get Lobb -> Jacobs?

DEF: Lloyd, Simpson, Smith, Williams, Duursma, Clark (Hore, Burgess)
MID: Cogs, Brayshaw, M Crouch, Rocky, B Crouch, Libba, Walsh, Scott (Constable, Gibbons)
RUC: Grundy, Goldy (Fort, Cameron)
FWD: Danger, Boak, Kelly, Elliott, Drew, Balta (Parker, Petrucelle)

70k leftover.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Not so keen on Lobb, particularly if Darcy is playing, but I get the idea that you can have an excellent midfield which you do.
Could you get one of your big gun mids to Zerrett and get Lobb -> Jacobs?
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sold on Lobb either, but I think the role moving between forward and ruck will work for him and he did get 97 and 70 in the JLT, DPP too. So he's in consideration. But for now I thought about what you said and moved Yeo down to Sheed to get Lobb to Nankervis (not a huge fan of Jacobs) and bring Collins in as I think he's probably got too solid JS to leave out.

Haven't thought about this much but put a team together and am pretty happy with it.

DEF: Laird, Lloyd, Smith, Williams, Clark, Duursma (Hore, Scrimshaw)
MID: Macrae, Cripps, Oliver, Merrett, Walsh, Scott, Constable, Gibbons (Drew, Bewley)
RUC: Grundy, Gawn (Fort, Cameron)
FWD: Smith, Dangerfield, Dunkley, Setterfield, Petruccelle, Burgess (Balta, Parker)

36k spare.

Had both Libba and Elliott in there originally but have replaced them with Scrimshaw and Merrett.

Leaves me short on cash to start the year but does give me the extra gun mid that I wanted.

Haven't thought about this much but put a team together and am pretty happy with it.

MID: Macrae, Cripps, Oliver, Merrett, Walsh, Scott, Constable, Gibbons (Drew, Bewley)
FWD: Smith, Dangerfield, Dunkley, Setterfield, Petruccelle, Burgess (Balta, Parker)

36k spare.

Had both Libba and Elliott in there originally but have replaced them with Scrimshaw and Merrett.

Leaves me short on cash to start the year but does give me the extra gun mid that I wanted.
No Brad Crouch and 3 forward rookies would be my concerns

36k spare.

The problem is the forward line.

I don't want any of those rookies on my field. you will need 2 of them for your bench, just not on field.

Edited to add: Of course you choose Setterfield, my brain forgot he is rookie priced.

36k spare.

I like this mix.
11 keepers by today's AVG (+ Smith, Williams & Walsh can hang in there for quite some time on expected point averages)

If you've got Newman at D4 you're batting deep in DEF! Not that its a bad thing, but it may unbalance the rest of your side?

For what it's worth, I was keen on Newman pre-JLT and his JLT1 confirmed it for me. I'm treating JLT2 as an anomaly...
My team is actually quite balanced I find! My forward would probably be my weakest but I’m still super happy with it!
Thanks for the reply mate - might just take the risk 😬

Well here it is, for tonight anyway haha. I've gone with the strategy that held me quite well last season in looking for some premo value as quite a few are doing in here. It does look like a lot of midprice madness in the backline but currently im confident with it... Currently... :think:

DEFENCE: Jake Lloyd, Jack Crisp, Wayne Milera Brodie Smith, Zac Williams, Xavier Dursma (Marty Hore, Chris Burgess)

MIDFIELD: Stephen Conliglio, Angus Brayshaw (C), Tim Taranto, Dom Sheed, Brad Crouch, Sam Walsh, Bailey Scott, Charlie Constable (Tom Atkins, Michael Gibbons)

RUCK: Brodie Grundy (VC), Todd Goldstein (Jordan Sweet, Darcy Fort)

FORWARDS: Patrick Dangerfield, Josh Dunkley, Tim Kelly, Jack Higgins, Will Setterfield, Willem Drew (Matthew Parker, Noah Balta)

Let me know your thoughts, Taranto, Sheed and Crouch are almost unmissable value in my eyes. Only having the nine keepers at this stage worries me slightly but if the midpricers/underpriced premo's do their job its an easy upgrade to a keeper. I look forward to hearing thoughts and good luck to everyone on the year ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the season just days away I don't know If I'll change up a lot of things from here... I'll try not to at least ahah. In all seriousness I'm starting to feel happy with my team and it's structures. I'd really love any creative criticism, thoughts, feedback and opinions. Here she is:

Defense:
1552909504254.png

The position I'm most confident with, going in with a genuine two/two/two. Two premos in Lloyd and Whitfield, both players I feel very confident in calling them top six defenders, pending injury I don't see any reason why they shouldn't still be in my side come the end of the season. I don't normally go with two genuine midpricers in the one position but there's a reason why they both have massive ownership percentages. I'd like to hope both Smith and Williams are both safe for an 80 points every game and still have plenty of room to grow and make money. I round out the back line two of the more expensive rookies in Clark, Duursma (and even Scrimshaw) but they're all first round picks and have shown some positive signs throughout the JLT and I currently feel secure with their job securities. Unless I run into some money and swap Whitfield for Laird or a rookie doesn't get picked, I don't think I'll change this up at all.

1552910105424.png

Admittedly I have quite a few of the speculative picks throughout the midfield and without Macrae in there it may not look as solid as a lot of midfields from other sides. However there's a reason why each of them are in there. Coniglio shown last year he is now an "uber premo" he looks as fit as ever and will turn 26yo this year so he's coming into his peak. Brayshaw is another one who is coming into the season in unbelievable form and had a really good 2018, he's not as safe as Conigilo or blokes like Cripps, Kelly, Crouch and Oliver who are around that price bracket. I'd argue he has an upside just as high as any of them. As a Tiger man I feel I should be all over Dusty Martin and I don't know if we'll see him get back to that 2017 from, seasons like he had (from an AFL perspective) because of his price I do feel much better about the selection and it does eliminate a lot of the risk. It wouldn't take a lot to upgrade him into an uber premo if it doesn't work out, you could put forward a case to use him as a loophole option for round one and two and then come back to reassess going into round three. On the topic of under priced players Taranto and Crouch are both under priced for totally different reasons and the risks connected with them both are also very different however with their preseason form, the shape Brad Crouch has shown his body is in and with the role Taranto has been playing they're both justifying their selections. As for the rookies, Sam Walsh doesn't need any introduction and I cannot see many sides in the top 10,000 teams who won't have started with him. With the other rookies I'm still not exactly sure on who will get on the field a coin or two will probably need to be flipped. Even then there's no certainties my current rookies will be named round one and start.

1552912800188.png

I really don't need to explain the reason behind picking Grundy, almost half of the Fantasy sides have him in their sides for a reason, as for Witts as my R2 this only just happened this afternoon. I'd had Goldy for most of the preseason, I couldn't help but to compare him and Witts'. One of the the things I couldn't help but look at the Suns fixture for the opening month they have StKilda, Fremantle, Bulldogs & Carlton most of whom who aren't known for their ruck stocks. I don't want to be to short-mined but because of the uncertainty that surrounds so many of the R2 options getting off to a good start could be massive. It also give me a chance to check out Gawn & Mummy, moving him into Gawn wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of cash either. Even if Witts doesn't dominate he's a pretty consistent and safe option, across the whole 2018 season he only had two games below 80.

1552913631610.png

I feel this is the weakest element of my side, Danger is as safe as houses but it really falls away fast after that. Josh Dunkley is another one I've introduced today, with just the three players over 400k I wanted to have a player with a high ceiling at F2, I still have fears on him regularly playing in the midfield every week but if he does he's a fantastic option and it's that which I just cannot ignore. Kelly an Worpel are in very similar places and oddly enough are both second year players which I normally try and ignore due to potential second year woes but with both appearing to have a good amount of midfield minutes coming their way there is a lot of upside. However because of these structures I only have one forward rookie on the field after Setterfield which is very important to me because of that lack of good forward rookie options.

- In an overview I'm feeling the most confident I have all preseason, I feel I probably have to many of the speculative picks which can be potential to be quite dangerous so I could try and shuffle around my premium players a little but I don't think the amount of rookies I have in each position will now change at all. Dusty, Dunkley, Brayshaw and Dunkley are probably the four I will most likely move around. As I stated earlier feedback is always highly sort after, I hope you've found the insight into my side somewhat interesting.

screenie.JPG
If rookie selections go my way this is the team I'll hopefully take in to round 1.

Defence: Going a bit riskier here with just the 1 genuine premo and 3 rookies but assuming they get games I'm confident all three can get over that 60/65 mark pretty regularly which is something I can't say for any of the forward rooks. The two mid-pricers should go 85+ which'll hopefully make it look better once the season starts than it might now. Scrimshaw -> Clark is on the cards if the Hawks don't name him.

Midfield: I see 4 genuine top 8 mids here with 1 borderline. Skipped on Macrae as I feel Cogs/Cripps can bridge the gap somewhat with 115+ each. Brayshaw has been a lock all pre-season but Zerret (because of JLT) has come in and out. I'm still a little worried about a slow start to the year from him so if I find the cash I'd like to get to M.Crouch but I ultimately still think Zerret will be top 8 so I'm okay picking him now. If all the rooks here play their scoring potential looks decent but I've got worries on Constable and Scott. If one of the two is out I'll be forced to either shift Drew up and cop a Parker on-field or re-shuffle the rucks for cash to get in Libba.

Rucks: The 2 big guns. Played around with others all pre-season but I've got doubts on all of em. Grundy will go 120 again and I can see Gawn going 110. Gawn might play less in the ruck with Preuss but I can see him making up for it by playing in defence and hoovering up those +6 from intercepts.

Forwards: Really big fan of this line (obviously). Basically come about because I want only the 2 rooks on field but I don't trust Worpel/Newnes. Gives me 4 guys I see as top 6 and with Setterfield as F5 gives me a ton of security. In previous seasons I've always struggled with poor scores from forward rooks so having this set-up has been a priority this time around. Still a bit unsure on Dunkley but the upside is massive and he's priced higher than a ton of other forwards (Billings/Boak for example) so it's relatively easy to shift him out if he doesn't get the role.

Mostly ignoring the mid-pricers and going fairly guns n rooks with the 8 rooks on field. I see 11 keepers with a chance that Williams or Smith and Crouch do enough to get by at D6/M8. Little worried that this year might finally be the year of the mid-pricers but I just don't feel comfortable adding more of the riskier types on top of Smith/Crouch who I'm already feeling a bit shaky on.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, first post here. This is the first time I've been happy with my team this year. What does everyone think?
View attachment 637420

Very similar to mine actually.. I really like it. Will be interesting to see who wins out of Macrae + Taranto vs Cripps + Zerret/M.Crouch. Just watch rookie selections. I've got big worries myself on Bailey/Constable.

What do you see Collins averaging?

Alright here we go I guess
Get ready for the odd hybrid of a team!
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.41.57 am.png
For me Sic, Lloyd, Smith and Scrimshaw are locks, they showed it in the JLT and I'm happy to lock them in. Hombsch has a low break even which he should get, Williams coming back from injury should also be good. Very open to potential replacements though, especially for the bench. Not very happy with it at all.
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.42.02 am.png
Macrae, Kelly, Libba and Walsh all loo to be locks for me. Horlin-Smith I feel has a lot of potential with this new move and a relatively low breakeven is appealing, Bench needs a lot of work, obviously Gibbons stays cheap as chips with a very low break even. I originally had Cadwell and Merret (And Witherden) in but changed em out for Worpel/O'Meara/Sheed(Sheed's pick was purely on those massive JLT scores) and Hombsch. Very very open to completely revamping my midfield although looking to keep Sheed for sure.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.42.08 am.png
Pretty happy with my rucks tbh not much to say Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.42.11 am.png
Now here I feel is my make or break, Danger Menegola, McLean and Heeny all show soooooo much potentail but are often patchy. So I really hope they find a new level of form. Seterfield looks good as does Petuccelle bench wise I'm a bit iffy, looking to move on Moore if I can for another cheapish forward but I'm not that fussed.
Edit: Moore out for Drew

I know it's patchy but I think it's a very good start and that with a bit of tweaking after the lineups are announced I can easily win my league!
Just looking too see who you lot think are hot.
Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 637434
For me Sic, Lloyd, Smith and Scrimshaw are locks, they showed it in the JLT and I'm happy to lock them in. Hombsch has a low break even which he should get, Williams coming back from injury should also be good. Very open to potential replacements though, especially for the bench. Not very happy with it at all.
View attachment 637435
Macrae, Kelly, Libba and Walsh all loo to be locks for me. Horlin-Smith I feel has a lot of potential with this new move and a relatively low breakeven is appealing, Bench needs a lot of work, obviously Gibbons stays cheap as chips with a very low break even. I originally had Cadwell and Merret (And Witherden) in but changed em out for Worpel/O'Meara/Sheed(Sheed's pick was purely on those massive JLT scores) and Hombsch. Very very open to completely revamping my midfield although looking to keep Sheed for sure.

View attachment 637436
Pretty happy with my rucks tbh not much to sayView attachment 637437
Now here I feel is my make or break, Danger Menegola, McLean and Heeny all show soooooo much potentail but are often patchy. So I really hope they find a new level of form. Seterfield looks good as does Petuccelle bench wise I'm a bit iffy, looking to move on Moore if I can for another cheapish forward but I'm not that fussed.

I know it's patchy but I think it's a very good start and that with a bit of tweaking after the lineups are announced I can easily win my league!
Thanks in advance!!!

Wrong format mate, this is afl fantasy, not real dream team.

But if I were you I'd swing worpel forward, ditch McLean (due for lots of time up forward) and find a replacement for English (especially in rdt with limited trades) 👍

Wr
View attachment 637434
View attachment 637435

View attachment 637436
Pretty happy with my rucks tbh not much to sayView attachment 637437

Thanks in advance!!!
wrong thread champ

With the season just days away I don't know If I'll change up a lot of things from here... I'll try not to at least ahah. In all seriousness I'm starting to feel happy with my team and it's structures. I'd really love any creative criticism, thoughts, feedback and opinions. Here she is:

Defense:
View attachment 637257

The position I'm most confident with, going in with a genuine two/two/two. Two premos in Lloyd and Whitfield, both players I feel very confident in calling them top six defenders, pending injury I don't see any reason why they shouldn't still be in my side come the end of the season. I don't normally go with two genuine midpricers in the one position but there's a reason why they both have massive ownership percentages. I'd like to hope both Smith and Williams are both safe for an 80 points every game and still have plenty of room to grow and make money. I round out the back line two of the more expensive rookies in Clark, Duursma (and even Scrimshaw) but they're all first round picks and have shown some positive signs throughout the JLT and I currently feel secure with their job securities. Unless I run into some money and swap Whitfield for Laird or a rookie doesn't get picked, I don't think I'll change this up at all.

View attachment 637261

Admittedly I have quite a few of the speculative picks throughout the midfield and without Macrae in there it may not look as solid as a lot of midfields from other sides. However there's a reason why each of them are in there. Coniglio shown last year he is now an "uber premo" he looks as fit as ever and will turn 26yo this year so he's coming into his peak. Brayshaw is another one who is coming into the season in unbelievable form and had a really good 2018, he's not as safe as Conigilo or blokes like Cripps, Kelly, Crouch and Oliver who are around that price bracket. I'd argue he has an upside just as high as any of them. As a Tiger man I feel I should be all over Dusty Martin and I don't know if we'll see him get back to that 2017 from, seasons like he had (from an AFL perspective) because of his price I do feel much better about the selection and it does eliminate a lot of the risk. It wouldn't take a lot to upgrade him into an uber premo if it doesn't work out, you could put forward a case to use him as a loophole option for round one and two and then come back to reassess going into round three. On the topic of under priced players Taranto and Crouch are both under priced for totally different reasons and the risks connected with them both are also very different however with their preseason form, the shape Brad Crouch has shown his body is in and with the role Taranto has been playing they're both justifying their selections. As for the rookies, Sam Walsh doesn't need any introduction and I cannot see many sides in the top 10,000 teams who won't have started with him. With the other rookies I'm still not exactly sure on who will get on the field a coin or two will probably need to be flipped. Even then there's no certainties my current rookies will be named round one and start.

View attachment 637278

I really don't need to explain the reason behind picking Grundy, almost half of the Fantasy sides have him in their sides for a reason, as for Witts as my R2 this only just happened this afternoon. I'd had Goldy for most of the preseason, I couldn't help but to compare him and Witts'. One of the the things I couldn't help but look at the Suns fixture for the opening month they have StKilda, Fremantle, Bulldogs & Carlton most of whom who aren't known for their ruck stocks. I don't want to be to short-mined but because of the uncertainty that surrounds so many of the R2 options getting off to a good start could be massive. It also give me a chance to check out Gawn & Mummy, moving him into Gawn wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of cash either. Even if Witts doesn't dominate he's a pretty consistent and safe option, across the whole 2018 season he only had two games below 80.

View attachment 637284

I feel this is the weakest element of my side, Danger is as safe as houses but it really falls away fast after that. Josh Dunkley is another one I've introduced today, with just the three players over 400k I wanted to have a player with a high ceiling at F2, I still have fears on him regularly playing in the midfield every week but if he does he's a fantastic option and it's that which I just cannot ignore. Kelly an Worpel are in very similar places and oddly enough are both second year players which I normally try and ignore due to potential second year woes but with both appearing to have a good amount of midfield minutes coming their way there is a lot of upside. However because of these structures I only have one forward rookie on the field after Setterfield which is very important to me because of that lack of good forward rookie options.

- In an overview I'm feeling the most confident I have all preseason, I feel I probably have to many of the speculative picks which can be potential to be quite dangerous so I could try and shuffle around my premium players a little but I don't think the amount of rookies I have in each position will now change at all. Dusty, Dunkley, Brayshaw and Dunkley are probably the four I will most likely move around. As I stated earlier feedback is always highly sort after, I hope you've found the insight into my side somewhat interesting.
Any reason why Burgess is on field and Drew is on the bench, or just a freudian slip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back