Preview Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying it wouldn't have 'some' impact. But go watch the replay. Gawn was battered from pillar to post. It was a targeted attempt from Port - a team effort where even unknowns were bumping Gawn at every opportunity. Did Gawn's hospital visit prior to the game hinder his performance? Perhaps a little. Did it affect his performance as much as Port's targeted attempt to bang him up? I doubt it. Port really did a number on Max Gawn. Ken Hinkley even came out and said as much, and praised Gawn's durability under the circumstance.
I think you're seriously under valuing the impact of a considerable sickness would have of someones ability to play sport at an elite level. There is no way of saying what had the bigger impact either way, but the combination of the two would destroy anyones game.

It has to be instruction. If I an probably a bunch of you guys can notice it during the game then the coaches can. It has to be the plan to swarm the man with the ball an not let it get on the outside.
It is. Goody is open about it.

He wants to attack the player with ball/contest (drawing the oppo in), then explode away from the contest like a shot gun cartridge cutting the defenders open in transition.

It works fine when Max dominates and we can get first use. If they get on top of him, and teams are, then it doesn’t work as we’ve collapsed in and get destroyed on the spread. That’s why we went and got another big strong ruckman to not loose that assendency at the contest.

As a backup ruckman, I would have thought. The only way he should get a regular gig is if Gawn gets injured.

Issue I have with bringing Preuss in is he doesn't have a tank, he's not the modern archetypal mobile big man and is at best an OK ruck option. He doesn't really do anything else other than lumber around and try and ragdoll the odd bloke. Why bring someone in who'll be doing what they do best for 20% of the game at most, and their best is relatively poor compared to others. We're crying out for players who can run, spread and link up play so why select a slow lumbering bloke who'll at best be semi-useful in the ruck for a third of the game?
How long did we sign him for? 4 year contract for a bloke will play nearly every game at Casey! Great!

Does anyone know our record at the G for the past decade or so? We must have the worst home ground record in the comp? Maybe besides GC? It's a little concerning we don't have that advantage over teams.

Does anyone know our record at the G for the past decade or so? We must have the worst home ground record in the comp? Maybe besides GC? It's a little concerning we don't have that advantage over teams.

Reckon we'd have the worst record in the comp over the past 10 years at all grounds overall mate

Reckon we'd have the worst record in the comp over the past 10 years at all grounds overall mate
I think Carlton and GC would be worse. I'm just curious as to our win/loss ratio for home games. Under Goodwin in particular it's been very noticeable the struggle at the G. I'm figuring a smaller ground would more suit our style.

I think Carlton and GC would be worse. I'm just curious as to our win/loss ratio for home games. Under Goodwin in particular it's been very noticeable the struggle at the G. I'm figuring a smaller ground would more suit our style.
Think it's actually been worse under Goodwin, when we were shite (07-14 etc), the only games we were winning were at the G, our interstate records were awful (obviously because we were too). We're in a much better spot now, but we're noticeably weaker on the big MCG ground, it's a concern.

Won 3 games in a row at the MCG last year against top 8 oppo. Agree smaller grounds probably suit us a touch better (We could beat anyone in the comp at docklands) but I think there are bigger factor than the grounds.

Preuss to play another week in the VFL. Don’t think we’ll need him v Geelong. He maybe required v Essendon to help work Bellchambers over. May in for Frost, Stretch for Spargo and KK for Hore. Hopefully we’ll see a more committed Demon side this week.

Carlton is a curious case depends what ground you consider their home ground. Officially they're a docklands stadium team but they play a lot of home games at the g as well. Carlton supporters tend to hate docklands as they feel they play better at the g. To memory I reckon they're right. As a Melbourne supporter I hate docklands but our record their recently is better I think we play the smaller grounds better but the team is better to. While I'm on the topic it the whole geelong are a force at kp they always played dud sides there, never any good teams from that period came down to kp. Having said that geelong 07-11 were still great wherever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn was in hospital for a skin rash. It would affect you a bit mentally in terms of preparation but no way it explains his poor game lol that was a direct result from Port's excellent tactics.

Surely you need a back up plan if you're game plan revolves entirely around 1 player playing well that just seems froughtwith danger.

Buckle up Gawny gonna be a long season!

Think it's actually been worse under Goodwin, when we were shite (07-14 etc), the only games we were winning were at the G, our interstate records were awful (obviously because we were too). We're in a much better spot now, but we're noticeably weaker on the big MCG ground, it's a concern.

P W L D
2010 14 7 6 1
2011 13 6 6 1
2012 13 3 10 0
2013 13 2 11 0
2014 12 3 9 0
2015 13 5 8 0
2016 12 7 5 0
2017 12 6 6 0
2018 13 7 6 0
2019 1 0 1 0

Would be interested in losing margin at the 'G v losing margin away. Feel like we usually go close at the 'G even if we lose (except Richmond/Hawthorn last year), but if we don't win away we tend to get spanked.

Would be interested in losing margin at the 'G v losing margin away. Feel like we usually go close at the 'G even if we lose (except Richmond/Hawthorn last year), but if we don't win away we tend to get spanked.

The trend i noticed over the last few years with the G is that we tend to fall over the line against s**t teams and get belted by good ones, baring one or two exceptions like Carlton last year.

Posted about it on reddit a while back:

P W L D
2010 14 7 6 1
2011 13 6 6 1
2012 13 3 10 0
2013 13 2 11 0
2014 12 3 9 0
2015 13 5 8 0
2016 12 7 5 0
2017 12 6 6 0
2018 13 7 6 0
2019 1 0 1 0

so most of our losses coming at home, I know we play other Vic sides at the G, but that record still isn't strong, and some our losses have been significant margins too.

Really need to make the MCG a fortress if we want to make a strong case for a flag, but we're often getting killed on the spread on the bigger ground.

so most of our losses coming at home, I know we play other Vic sides at the G, but that record still isn't strong, and some our losses have been significant margins too.

Really need to make the MCG a fortress if we want to make a strong case for a flag, but we're often getting killed on the spread on the bigger ground.
Have won five out of our last seven games there, one being an 8 point loss to Sydney where we just couldn't kick straight but they hardly spread us. No need to overcorrect a problem which doesn't necessarily exist. If we can be instructed to play an inside/outside balance on smaller grounds there's no reason we can't do the same at the 'G.

P W L D
2010 14 7 6 1
2011 13 6 6 1
2012 13 3 10 0
2013 13 2 11 0
2014 12 3 9 0
2015 13 5 8 0
2016 12 7 5 0
2017 12 6 6 0
2018 13 7 6 0
2019 1 0 1 0

Interesting. It really highlights how ordinary we have been at home. So not including this season obviously, in the last 9 seasons, we have only 3 times had a winning record at home. And all three of those have only been just (7-6 twice, and a 7-5). And so far off to a bad start for 2019. If we are going to be premiership contenders and match it with the big boys, this trend has to start going the other way. If we are barely breaking even at home, surely we can't consider ourselves a premiership threat? When you consider Geelong and most other interstate teams have a huge advantage by dominating their home grounds, this makes it difficult for teams like us who can't make their home ground an intimidating place to play. Maybe it's because the G doesn't hold fears for any side anymore? Maybe it's because we play a style now where smaller grounds suit us better? Maybe because a half empty stadium isn't as intimidating as it is full? So then the next question would be if we play the majority of our games at the G, and are finding it difficult to win there, why aren't we working on a gameplan where it does suit the G better? If we play 12-14 games there a season, we should be playing a style that suits that place.

Have won five out of our last seven games there, one being an 8 point loss to Sydney where we just couldn't kick straight but they hardly spread us. No need to overcorrect a problem which doesn't necessarily exist. If we can be instructed to play an inside/outside balance on smaller grounds there's no reason we can't do the same at the 'G.

Why do you stop it randomly at 7?
Because we lost to St Kilda at the G at number 8?

Does Frost keep his spot as the 3rd tall down back? Pruess doesn't get the recall, Weids to pinch hit

Ins- May
Outs- Hore

B- Jetta, May, Oscar
HB- Hibberd, Frost, Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back