Preview Changes/preview v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely get a go at the Doggies now with their backline injuries. I read in an article, not sure where, might have been a trashy Herald Sun piece but it mentioned 1 player from each side that could use a fresh start. Tomlinson was the Melbourne player and this was before recent form. Wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade at the end of the year.
2024 is the last year of Tomo’s 5 year deal reportedly on 500k. Turning 30
in August.

I’d reckon if Tomo was willing to take a pay cut there would be some interest from other clubs. I wouldn’t be surprised if his salary was the stumbling block last trade period.

Anyway, back to this game. I still don’t know where they will play Petty.

If Cameron roams way up the ground and/or they put someone like Rivers on him, then two tall defenders may be enough to simulate the normal three tall setup as Hawkins would be the only true tall forward.

Maybe Petty will be a genuine swing man. See how the game is panning out to work out where he’s of most value?

Interesting sub options.
Ben Brown seems a pointless emergency.

He’s as one dimensional as a player can be so unless JvR is under an injury cloud I couldn’t think what circumstance would result in Brown coming in.

It’s a pretty bad sign for Schache. Playing OK-ish in the VFL, is far more versatile than Brown, but bung knee Brown who hasn’t played for three weeks leap frogs him in the pecking order. And off mediocre VFL form when he was playing.

Everyone had a crack at the Salem inclusion a few weeks back and he hasn't skipped a beat.

Salem didn't come in at the expense of dropping someone who just played their best game for the club.

The point isn't Petty being back, the point is Petty replacing Tommo in the context of:

• Tommo's performance last week
  • Petty being out for 6 weeks
  • Petty's form being sketchy this year
  • Petty being put in the backline after seemingly being settled forward

This is completely different to Salem's return.

Salem didn't come in at the expense of dropping someone who just played their best game for the club.

The point isn't Petty being back, the point is Petty replacing Tommo in the context of:

Nah Salem came off 0 VFL and had very average form last year which was why people got pissed. But obviously he did everything right in rehab and at training which was why he was picked.

I agree Tommo is stiff off last week but May is a better match up for Hawkins and there is no way Tommo can go with Cameron where Petty actually has proven form.

We can also move Petty forward if needed. Don't think it's as big a mystery as you're making it out to be.

Nah Salem came off 0 VFL and had very average form last year which was why people got pissed. But obviously he did everything right in rehab and at training which was why he was picked.

I agree Tommo is stiff off last week but May is a better match up for Hawkins and there is no way Tommo can go with Cameron where Petty actually has proven form.

We can also move Petty forward if needed. Don't think it's as big a mystery as you're making it out to be.

Salem played poorly in '22 BECAUSE they mismanaged his injury, and as already mentioned no one was dropped for Salem, let alone someone who was in form. It's not even remotely similar.

Petty, who hasn't played for 6 weeks, isn't quick, doesn't have a noteable tank and has mostly played forward can "go with Cameron"? Not buying that, and again, Petty doesn't have proven form this year, at all.

If we move Petty forward, when you're saying Cameron is his match up, then who moves on to Cameron?

Not buying this, this is a very very strange decision in every way and I'm suss on it.

2024 is the last year of Tomo’s 5 year deal reportedly on 500k. Turning 30
in August.

I’d reckon if Tomo was willing to take a pay cut there would be some interest from other clubs. I wouldn’t be surprised if his salary was the stumbling block last trade period.

Anyway, back to this game. I still don’t know where they will play Petty.

If Cameron roams way up the ground and/or they put someone like Rivers on him, then two tall defenders may be enough to simulate the normal three tall setup as Hawkins would be the only true tall forward.

Maybe Petty will be a genuine swing man. See how the game is panning out to work out where he’s of most value?
I haven't heard anything from Goodwin indicating Petty playing back in defence. Goodwin seems pretty persistent with Petty forward, this was something I recall him saying but that would have been pre injury .

Agree with this, Tomlinson played his best game for 2 years but we are rushing Petty back who has no recent match fitness. I'd understand if Smith or Tomo had a poor game last week and they are happy enough with Petty's training fitness, but I'd like to see us reward form which then gives optimism and opportunity for the guys playing at Casey. There's certain players in most teams who are an automatic inclusion once fit, on this years form Petty isn't one of them.

I haven't heard anything from Goodwin indicating Petty playing back in defence. Goodwin seems pretty persistent with Petty forward, this was something I recall him saying but that would have been pre injury .
Could be were playing Hibbo or Rivers on Cameron and Petty/Smith as a defensive forward on Stewart.

You keep bringing up Petty being out for a month and a half when that's the most obvious point of comparison with Salem.

And yeah we don't know if Petty is even going back, but id prefer him on Cameron if that's the way we go. Could be he starts forward and swings back if a shorter match up doesn't work. Either way there's no match up for Tomlinson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You keep bringing up Petty being out for a month and a half when that's the most obvious point of comparison with Salem.

And yeah we don't know if Petty is even going back, but id prefer him on Cameron if that's the way we go. Could be he starts forward and swings back if a shorter match up doesn't work. Either way there's no match up for Tomlinson

Last time I'll back over this mate.

Salem came back in without anyone being dropped, let alone someone in form.
Petty's coming back in with longer out, sketchy form, and with the dropping of someone in form.

They aren't close to the same thing.

Pretty crap for culture. Thanks for helping us win our best game for a couple years now get stuffed for a bloke who's been mostly crap all year. No way that's not chipping away at the teams overall togetherness when only a handful of players get games regardless of form

Petty been shite all season, look forward to the dropped marks and his invisible man routine in the forward line. Tomlinson was fantastic last week, backline looks so much stronger with him in it, frees up Lever who's been great since. Poor call.

People also seem to forget Tomo was in career best form, did his ACL and missed our flag.
Now after being mostly in the wilderness for 2 years, he fights his way back into the team, performs well, then gets turfed out at the earliest convenience for a bloke who has been out of form, out of position, and injured.
That is a slap in the face in anyone's book.

I dont mind it, just reckon its very harsh.

Imagine if both Petty and Smith and play forward. :eek::eek: I reserve the right to melt at the first bounce if that happens.

I dont mind it, just reckon its very harsh.

Imagine if both Petty and Smith and play forward. :eek::eek: I reserve the right to melt at the first bounce if that happens.
I'd be fine with it if Petty was as good as May but he hasn't played a game as well as Tommo did for ages. One or two in the VFL would have been for him

Hawkins is the Tomo matchup.

People also seem to forget Tomo was in career best form, did his ACL and missed our flag.
Now after being mostly in the wilderness for 2 years, he fights his way back into the team, performs well, then gets turfed out at the earliest convenience for a bloke who has been out of form, out of position, and injured.
That is a slap in the face in anyone's book.

I get the outrage, but Tomo is a horrible matchup this week for Hawkins (think what Harry McKay did to him) and Cameron. Petty not exactly a great matchup for Cameron either but better than Tomo is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back