Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Western Bulldogs > 30 pts

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving all these Chemical Ali types on here.

“Umpires didn’t impact the game, Hawks just choked, everything is good”

It’s these types in society that corrupt people understand can be used like puppets and be taken full advantage of for their own gain.

For those taking shots at Siciliy, without him we'd have lost by a lot more. When dogs were killing us in the second quarter, Sicily had a lot to do with why we were not 6 or 7 goals down going into half time. Probably didn't legitimately cost us goals either. The first downfield decision one was just wrong IMO, and the 50 was likely going to be a goal anyway (didn't have a huge problem with the free before the 50).

We did very very well to eventually be 30 points up after the second quarter Bulldogs had. I think we saw the answer today to how much we are going to miss Mitchell this year. Sicily can't repel every attack after losing the centre clearance, which we did the vast majority of the time. Mitchell was the number 1 total centre clearance winner in the competition last year (home and away - Dusty edged ahead during finals). 6-6-6 with Mitchell is a win for us. Without him, its a big disadvantage. Worpel and Cousins will need to learn quickly if we are to be any chance of making the 8. Howe will probably come in for Shiels which is a net loss for us.

Losing Shiels and Burgoyne had way more impact than the umpiring. Hawthorn players had hands on knees at every pause in the game the entire last quarter, clearly got done by the reduced rotations (and doggies intensity lift when they started to smell blood). Unlucky that we get two in-game injuries to players that go through our midfield on the day we bring Scully back in knowing we'd have to give him reduced game time. A game hardened Scully would have got 95% game time instead of 75% and taken up some of the rotation slack we were missing.

Dogs looked a lot like 2016 today so no disgrace to lose, despite a bitterly disappointing last term fadeout. We'll get pantsed again in the midfield next week if Shiels and Burgoyne don't play, which seems very likely. Hopefully we can bring Wingard in, and he'll be up for some midfield minutes.

Last edited:
For those taking shots at Siciliy, without him we'd have lost by a lot more. When dogs were killing us in the second quarter, Sicily had a lot to do with why we were not 6 or 7 goals down going into half time. Probably didn't legitimately cost us goals either. The first downfield decision one was just wrong IMO, and the 50 was likely going to be a goal anyway (didn't have a huge problem with the free before the 50).

We did very very well to eventually be 30 points up after the second quarter Bulldogs had. I think we saw the answer today to how much we are going to miss Mitchell this year. Sicily can't repel every attack after losing the centre clearance, which we did the vast majority of the time. Mitchell was the number 1 total centre clearance winner in the competition last year (home and away - Dusty edged ahead during finals). 6-6-6 with Mitchell is a win for us. Without him, its a big disadvantage. Worpel and Cousins will need to learn quickly if we are to be any chance of making the 8. Howe will probably come in for Shiels which is a net loss for us.

Losing Shiels and Burgoyne had way more impact than the umpiring. Hawthorn players had hands on knees at every pause in the game the entire last quarter, clearly got done by the reduced rotations (and doggies intensity lift when they started to smell blood). Unlucky that we get two in-game injuries to players that go through our midfield on the day we bring Scully back in knowing we'd have to give him reduced game time. A game hardened Scully wouldn't have got 95% game time instead of 75% and taken up some of the rotation slack we were missing.

Dogs looked a lot like 2016 today so no disgrace to lose, despite a bitterly disappointing last term fadeout. We'll get pantsed again in the midfield next week if Shiels and Burgoyne don't play, which seems very likely. Hopefully we can bring Wingard in, and he'll be up for some midfield minutes.
Fair assessment

Midfield is the weakness

Burgoyne and shiel out for 2+?

They don't have to be even, but they should be consistent. Hawks got an unsocial rep for a game that really isn't dirty (it's not the 1980s) and now they still seem to have to work a **** tonne harder than the opposition to win a free kick for exactly the same thing. I've lost count of the times I've seen us out tackle the opposition and yet concede more free kicks because we can't buy a holding the ball but get paid against as soon as our bloke gets touched.
What? Dogs didn't one holding the ball call for them all game, Hawks got a few. It's not like Hawks players weren't caught constantly with the ball either

Just got back from the game. Usually wouldn't mind a loss as we were outplayed for long stretches but seriously it was down right cheating towards the end. The umpires should just kick the goals for the dogs themselves.

Fair assessment

Midfield is the weakness

Yup, and now weaker still. Will be very tempting to run a lot more midfield minutes through Wingard now. O'Meara will be more worried about his shoulders than his knee by the end of this year after the load he's going to have to carry. I'm not that worried about the loss in isolation. Doggies were good. I'm more worried about the consequences for our shallow midfield and what it will mean over the next few weeks. After beating Adelaide, I thought 5-1 was very possible, 1-5 now looks more likely. Wingard had some good midfield games last year, but he's trained with the forward group all summer and will now be slightly underdone from a midfield point of view given he's basically done his calf twice over pre-season.

Burgoyne and shiel out for 2+?

Haven't heard any details but you'd think so. Burgoyne in particular will need to be given extra time given this sounds like an injury he did last year (twice maybe?) so will need to be extra cautious on rehab time.

At least Scully came out ok, not a huge impact, but everyone knows his impact comes from his two way running which will need some weeks to get rolling again. Scrimshaw was the other positive. In a back line that was under siege for large parts of the game, he was pretty composed for a kid in his 6th game. Only one mistake I noticed all game. Can see why he was a top 10 pick. Sicily will be very good this year if he doesn't belt an umpire. Amazing disposal when you consider how many of his kicks are pulling the trigger on a 50-60m pass. Worpel and Cousins doing ok, but can't expect either of those to be able to take the role of our second best mid with 13 and 9 games for each - but that seems to be the situation we find ourselves in after the injuries today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh. Two rotations down, a young midfield, some underdone players. It's going to happen some days. Bulldogs were better for most of the game so that's the way it goes. Good win to them.

However, being live at the game I fully understand the frustration around the umpiring. Not so much the decisions but the fact, I had no idea what they were for. What I saw was the umpire take the ball of Roughead after he marked it and give it to his opponent, the ball given to McEvoy's opponent in the ruck and the final one against Sicily, there was no signal to indicate what the free was for. When it's a head high tackle, the umpire taps their shoulder, when it's deliberate they do the underarm thing, when it's holding the ball they do the arms wide thing. When there's no signal for the free kick, the crowd has no idea why the free was paid and that's what happened today. The frees may well have been there but unless you can indicate why the free kick was paid, the crowd will get angry.

Just got back from the game. Usually wouldn't mind a loss as we were outplayed for long stretches but seriously it was down right cheating towards the end. The umpires should just kick the goals for the dogs themselves.
Ok, if you are talking about the late goals, apart from the Schache - Sicily, which was soft, which other ones that lead to goals were wrong ? Worpel ran into the circle, correct decision, Sicily made frontal contact with Gowers correct decision. Your midfield lacks depth and was shown up for most of the game. Stupid turnovers in the third gave Hawthorn gift goals.

All in all scoreboard flattered Hawthorn.

Got lucky with injuries and umpires no doubt.

That being said, based off last year and our age/exp profile, I consider the Dogs a bottom 4 team.

The fact we were even competitive let alone won the game is a bonus.

Hawthorn still a champion side.

Ok, if you are talking about the late goals, apart from the Schache - Sicily, which was soft, which other ones that lead to goals were wrong ? Worpel ran into the circle, correct decision, Sicily made frontal contact with Gowers correct decision. Your midfield lacks depth and was shown up for most of the game. Stupid turnovers in the third gave Hawthorn gift goals.

All in all scoreboard flattered Hawthorn.

You'd clearly been outplayed in the 1st (scoreboard flattered Dogs) and 3rd and dominated the second. In the last you guys were pressing with our lack of rotations but were making very little impact for most of the quarter until the few minutes of madness turned the game on it's head and gave you boys the spring in the legs to really run out those final few minutes.

To suggest the scoreboard flattered the Hawks is simply wrong.

You'd clearly been outplayed in the 1st (scoreboard flattered Dogs) and 3rd and dominated the second. In the last you guys were pressing with our lack of rotations but were making very little impact for most of the quarter until the few minutes of madness turned the game on it's head and gave you boys the spring in the legs to really run out those final few minutes.

To suggest the scoreboard flattered the Hawks is simply wrong.
2nd half of the first quarter the Dogs dominated it. At 3/4 time both teams had dominated a quarter and a half and we were somehow 5 goals up. On balance of play the Bulldogs deserved to win

I'm watching the highlights now, the siren went before Jack Gunston kicked a goal right on 3QT. He clearly played on too.

I guess it's only bad when it goes against Hawthorn eh?
On TV you normally hear it first. At the ground i heard the siren after he kicked it

Back