Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither were ever mentioned one or two
Brayshaw was.. Roos has been on record a few times saying he was their first choice.

Whether thats him stirring the pot, who knows.. But in fairness he did say this when he was out with concussion and he's come back and finished 3rd in a brownlow.

Paddy's recent concussion issues have put my mind at ease about the selection of him at no.1. Fact is we will never know what he could have been. It's really sad, but we can put the whole thing to bed because realistically, given his bad luck, any player would have been a better selection.

Paddy's recent concussion issues have put my mind at ease about the selection of him at no.1. Fact is we will never know what he could have been. It's really sad, but we can put the whole thing to bed because realistically, given his bad luck, any player would have been a better selection.
I think you are being very generous. You would think a pick one would have at least one elite skill. I know he was injured a bit but I never saw any. It was a mistake and to make matters worse the poor guy never had a proper run at it. To me he just looks like a mid 20 to 30 pick so everyone got it wrong. That’s the danger with taking tall forwards from the tac cup where the forward line rules are different

Brayshaw was.. Roos has been on record a few times saying he was their first choice.

Whether thats him stirring the pot, who knows.. But in fairness he did say this when he was out with concussion and he's come back and finished 3rd in a brownlow.
Brayshaw was mentioned early on as a number 1 pick a few times easy in hind sight and no other club would of taken Paddy at 1

I think you are being very generous. You would think a pick one would have at least one elite skill. I know he was injured a bit but I never saw any. It was a mistake and to make matters worse the poor guy never had a proper run at it. To me he just looks like a mid 20 to 30 pick so everyone got it wrong. That’s the danger with taking tall forwards from the tac cup where the forward line rules are different
His field kicking looked potentially elite to me. Would have been great to get a good look at him this year because be looked in much better shape and had obviously worked hard. One innocuous hit and he's gone for four weeks and still has symptoms which I suppose means headaches. Really sad for him.

According to the club at the time we shortlisted Paddy, Petracca, Brayshaw & Wright at no.1. But that may have just been the message they were sending to other clubs during trade period when in reality I believe it was down to Paddy vs Petracca.

If you were re-doing those four you would go Brayshaw, Wright, Petracca & then Paddy.

De Goey & Heeney look the best two closely followed by Brayshaw. Apart from those three it’s so far a fairly ordinary draft.

Lever looked good early but has ongoing knee issues. Wright, Weller, Marchbank & Duggan look okay without being future A graders. Moore is hard to get a read on. Looks elite in very small patches.

I doubt Petracca ever goes top 10 in his clubs B&F. He will be a bit player that continually frustrates his fans. Paddy the poor bloke probably doesn’t play again so the less said about him the better.

His field kicking looked potentially elite to me. Would have been great to get a good look at him this year because be looked in much better shape and had obviously worked hard. One innocuous hit and he's gone for four weeks and still has symptoms which I suppose means headaches. Really sad for him.

I still can’t believe we didn’t try him in the McGovern role to best use his marking & field kicking. Joey Montagna called it pre season & even had him lining up at CHB in his best Saints 22.

Apart from that mark against the Hawks in Tassie & about 3 marks he took on Rance a few years ago he’s looked like a very limited forward. Obviously there’s a few other smalls things he’s done but those instances are what stand out.

September 2014

"At least four players in this year's draft are worthy of the No.1 pick, says AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.

Sheehan considers midfielders Angus Brayshaw and Christian Petracca and tall forwards Peter Wright and Patrick McCartin all good enough to be No.1, with the choice sure to keep the man with that pick, St Kilda head of recruiting Tony Elshaug, awake at night."

One of the very few drafts without a standout No 1 so its no surprise that needs were a factor.

Right and logical pick at the time - unfortunately hasn't turned out as hoped.

I suspect we may never see Paddy on the field again - the scientific knowledge of long term risks from concussion is building - you're a very long time out of the game.

September 2014

"At least four players in this year's draft are worthy of the No.1 pick, says AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.

Sheehan considers midfielders Angus Brayshaw and Christian Petracca and tall forwards Peter Wright and Patrick McCartin all good enough to be No.1, with the choice sure to keep the man with that pick, St Kilda head of recruiting Tony Elshaug, awake at night."

One of the very few drafts without a standout No 1 so its no surprise that needs were a factor.

Right and logical pick at the time - unfortunately hasn't turned out as hoped.

I suspect we may never see Paddy on the field again - the scientific knowledge of long term risks from concussion is building - you're a very long time out of the game.

Is quoting Kevin Sheehan to support there being no standout No1 pick in the 2014 draft allowed? ;-). Surely you can only use hindsight in emotional (useless) debates like this!

I still come back to this quote often when thinking about Paddy, from Richo when thinking about Paddy's fitness issues and his diabetes:

"That was my concern driving back from his home," said Richardson. "I was thinking, 'He's been asked to step it up this year in a much more serious way than ever before, and the best he's been able to do is low 60s in skinfolds. So is that because of his condition? Because if it is, it's going to be very hard for him to cope'. Obviously he's been doing a lot of work and we need to trust the experts, but he's pick one. He needs to be elite. We need this guy to be a ripper."

Pretty astute stuff from Richo. His worries were on the money.

To me, his fitness and tank has always been his biggest problem, even before the concussions. Adding the concussions in just sealed the deal that he wasn't going to make it as the vast majority of the concussions are self inflicted: he leads with his head and has little awareness of what is around him.

It's sadly ironic that as soon as he looked like he was starting to get his tank sorted this pre-season he goes and gets himself concussed. Some things in life and sport just aren't meant to be.

I still come back to this quote often when thinking about Paddy, from Richo when thinking about Paddy's fitness issues and his diabetes:

"That was my concern driving back from his home," said Richardson. "I was thinking, 'He's been asked to step it up this year in a much more serious way than ever before, and the best he's been able to do is low 60s in skinfolds. So is that because of his condition? Because if it is, it's going to be very hard for him to cope'. Obviously he's been doing a lot of work and we need to trust the experts, but he's pick one. He needs to be elite. We need this guy to be a ripper."

To me, his fitness and tank has always been his biggest problem, even before the concussions. Adding the concussions in just sealed the deal that he wasn't going to make it as the vast majority of the concussions are self inflicted: he leads with his head and has little awareness of what is around him.

It's sadly ironic that as soon as he looked like he was starting to get his tank sorted this pre-season he goes and gets himself concussed. Some things in life and sport just aren't meant to be.

I read through the 2014 draft thread and plenty wanted Petracca and Wright. Paddy had pretty average form over all and I think a lot of projecting went on with him. Most of the issues Paddy had in his senior performances were already on show. It was actually pretty depressing reading with lots of belief in players that are no longer at the club becoming guns. Ahern got plenty of love and since his knees have started to hold up he's shown why.

I see that another former Saint has passed away. Rod Galt has died aged 67. That is not old. Played 77 games for us and then went to Carlton. Was a very talented tall man who could kick goals. Came originally from Beaumaris where I grew up. Sad to hear. Never did know why he went to Carlton. Another one we couldn’t pay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read through the 2014 draft thread and plenty wanted Petracca and Wright. Paddy had pretty average form over all and I think a lot of projecting went on with him. Most of the issues Paddy had in his senior performances were already on show. It was actually pretty depressing reading with lots of belief in players that are no longer at the club becoming guns. Ahern got plenty of love and since his knees have started to hold up he's shown why.
That's why I gave up reading them entirely. In 2014, they represented hope in the midst of failure. Then I realised they were a different manifestation of the same thing.

jesus thats so on the money its not funny

jesus thats so on the money its not funny

If you believe it though, pure luck, as he apparently has NFI about footy and has been stooging us all this time.

Anywho, I can't click that 2014 thread, it's just depressing to see it's been 4 years and we're still treading water as a club.

what i wouldn't give for a members night where the list committee consisting of richo, trout, ameet, pelchen, finnis and libba front up an answer questions on how that one managed to come to fruition.

just beggars belief that in the modern draft era we couldnt even net a GOP

If you believe it though, pure luck, as he apparently has NFI about footy and has been stooging us all this time.

Anywho, I can't click that 2014 thread, it's just depressing to see it's been 4 years and we're still treading water as a club.

heart breaking isn't it

i was so optimistic and bought into the rebuild strategy back then. thought we'd be back as we had turned the corner into a successful club coming off that decade of good footy

in hindsight i remember attending a champs game here at freo oval, thinking, gee we only have two recruiters here. ameet and trout. what the * would ameet know about drafting, where's the rest of them. why does collingwood have a whole team here.

should have realised then we were ****ed.

heart breaking isn't it

i was so optimistic and bought into the rebuild strategy back then. thought we'd be back as we had turned the corner into a successful club coming off that decade of good footy

in hindsight i remember attending a champs game here at freo oval, thinking, gee we only have two recruiters here. ameet and trout. what the **** would ameet know about drafting, where's the rest of them. why does collingwood have a whole team here.

should have realised then we were ******.

I was just happy that we actually had a plan, we knew what we wanted to do, how we wanted to do it and there was actual decisive cohesion instead of dart board half cocked ideas. Not just on the field, but also off the field.

But I'm resigned to us being a minnow club at our heart, we'll never grow to be big, we'll never expand to be big and if we pinch a flag it'll be the grandest of them all, but I've no hope it'll actually happen since something will happen or the AFL will concoct some bullshit to strip it like they've always done and people will lol and forget about it. Then it'll sink in that over the many thousand games played since aussie rules as a game;

There have only been 2 clerical errors of scoring.

Integrity!

At the game, is it as uninspiring on TV than live?

I'm taking a shot per clean I50, at the moment, very sober.

Shocking spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back