Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point. However you can only beat whoever's there, and apart from Richmond we did. Probably should have rolled them too.
It was an improvement on our mid-season form which is more the point I was making. Norf were finals-bound too until we beat them.

True it was definitely an improvement, and i think the take away most of us had was that a bit more speed and class in the side was worth its weight in gold, which i certainly agree with. Unfortunately the players with those attributes have been either injured or out of form.

One other observation, whilst i'd definitely prefer Wallis forward if he's in the side, the way footy is played everyone pushes up into one third of the ground when defending and Wallis will still often be receiving the ball in the defensive areas of the ground. Also poor turn overs on F50 entries will also frequently result in opposition goals and he's been guilty of those often.

Basically a long winded way of saying you can't hide poor foot skills, and i'd say Wallis is skating on very thin ice, as really it's poor turnovers that are losing us games atm.

So we're all in agreement then are we? It's pitchforks out and march to VUWO demanding answers, right?

View attachment 655858

I’m here, where the hell are you guys? Second time I’ve been stood up for a lynching at VUWO, last time King Harold said he at least was on his way, but I spent the night sleeping in the driver’s seat of my farm Ute, with pitchfork beside me. Bloody mankini wasn’t made for sleeping sitting upright in either...

I've not watched a heap of the Dogs this season, but I don't think Smith is playing a heap of midfield time at the moment? Thought he was more forward of center?

Nah he's getting a fair bit of pure mid time, more than I expected. Will be in there for more than a handful of centre bounces and around the ground stoppages.

Nah he's getting a fair bit of pure mid time, more than I expected. Will be in there for more than a handful of centre bounces and around the ground stoppages.
Just goes to show how little of the Doggies I've seen this year.

That is good to see, I always liked his strength in the contest and marking in the forward half.

Just goes to show how little of the Doggies I've seen this year.

That is good to see, I always liked his strength in the contest and marking in the forward half.

I think you’re getting your Smiths confused. Easily done. One has retired so we got another.

Nervous about this game. Carlton are under a lot of pressure to produce a win, given their recent, close but no cigar results. They have improved slightly on last season, as in wont be easy beats as much as some on here might think. Couldn't pick a worse time to take on a team with their backs against the wall. That being said the heat is also on us, and no doubt the players will be hungry to prove a point and kick a few goals.

Last edited:
Not so worried about the emotive “team needing a win stuff” as going in against a forward line with literally one trick (it’s tall) that plays to our biggest weakness.

I don’t mind (presumably) Wood doing a shutdown role on Curnow, but I can see Cordy and his floppy Dad-bod getting exposed I50 by McKay or, even worse, Casboult, and the overpaid one-trick pony McGovern taking a few frustrating marks inside 50 because he has Duryea or Caleb playing on him all day.

This is the sort of game I’d like to see our MC avoid dancing with the devil and change our defensive structure slightly to include one more tall in the back line.

The good news is that Carlton has a meandering, low skilled, midfield and defence that shouldn’t catch us out with quick movement on turnovers like the Suns did. If we apply pressure the same way we did last week, and keep Simpson in check, we should force a lot of turnovers in the back half. It’ll be on the forwards and mids to actually capitalize on the scoreboard and not let Carlton off the hook.

We don’t want this game being dragged down into a dour battle of whichever misfiring forward line can actually convert for a period, because the lower the score the more valuable the rubbish bail out marks we’re likely to concede to Curnow, McKay, Casboult and McGovern will be and the more risk there is of an upset.

Our midfield should absolutely pants theirs. It’s not remotely close. It should be a compete slaughter in there. BUT that was the case against the Suns too - we killed them in the midfield contest. If all we turn that into is dinky kicks up and down the wing and more blown chances and poor conversion, while allowing Carlton to play to its one strength, we’ll make this game a lot more stressful than it needs to be.

Not so worried about the emotive “team needing a win stuff” as going in against a forward line with literally one trick (it’s tall) that plays to our biggest weakness.

I don’t mind (presumably) Wood doing a shutdown role on Curnow, but I can see Cordy and his floppy Dad-bod getting exposed I50 by McKay or, even worse, Casboult, and the overpaid one-trick pony McGovern taking a few frustrating marks inside 50 because he has Duryea or Caleb playing on him all day.

This is the sort of game I’d like to see our MC avoid dancing with the devil and change our defensive structure slightly to include one more tall in the back line.

The good news is that Carlton has a meandering, low skilled, midfield and defence that shouldn’t catch us out with quick movement on turnovers like the Suns did. If we apply pressure the same way we did last week, and keep Simpson in check, we should force a lot of turnovers in the back half. It’ll be on the forwards and mids to actually capitalize on the scoreboard and not let Carlton off the hook.

We don’t want this game being dragged down into a dour battle of whichever misfiring forward line can actually convert for a period, because the lower the score the more valuable the rubbish bail out marks we’re likely to concede to Curnow, McKay, Casboult and McGovern will be and the more risk there is of an upset.

Our midfield should absolutely pants theirs. It’s not remotely close. It should be a compete slaughter in there. BUT that was the case against the Suns too - we killed them in the midfield contest. If all we turn that into is dinky kicks up and down the wing and more blown chances and poor conversion, while allowing Carlton to play to its one strength, we’ll make this game a lot more stressful than it needs to be.

Cordy has a "floppy Dad-bod"? He's at 12% body fat you absolute weird unit. Stop projecting your own physique onto others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very confident Casboult gets dropped.

Opportunity for some blokes to play themselves back into form, but I'm also nervous about this game.

Need a repeat of the round 11, 1991 game, but this time with no Arceri free kick to redeem the scoreboard.

one of my favourite days at the footy, ever

gr8 post

1 of dunks or Wallis has to go. I’d boot Wallis because Dunkley can play a stronger negating role on Cripps and is generally the better midfielder. Would definitely bring Lipinski in for Wallis. Far better user and has added inside game over his first month of the VFL where he’s been the standout player.

I’d also swap Lynch in for Richards. Lynch has been dynamic in his last few games playing half forward for Footscray and Richards needs some time to build confidence in his wing / HF role.

1 of dunks or Wallis has to go. I’d boot Wallis because Dunkley can play a stronger negating role on Cripps and is generally the better midfielder. Would definitely bring Lipinski in for Wallis. Far better user and has added inside game over his first month of the VFL where he’s been the standout player.

I’d also swap Lynch in for Richards. Lynch has been dynamic in his last few games playing half forward for Footscray and Richards needs some time to build confidence in his wing / HF role.

I'd send Libba to Cripps 100%

I reckon Dunkley is on as thin ice as Wallis, because they're pretty much the only two players in the team this year that Bevo hasn't quite worked out the role he wants them to play - both on paper within our best 22, both having weak starts to the year, both having played the most diverse roles across the 4 games v the other players who have played the majority of games.

As silly as it sounds, I reckon there's a chance we drop both and go with two completely dissimilar players - maybe someone like Young and Williams coming both back into the team as defenders, and releasing Johannisen and Richards up the ground a bit more (as a different style of quick player to what Dunkley and Wallis were playing through midfield and up forward).

As per Mofra's reply, the Wallis/Dunkley swap is a simple solution. The McLean one is a bit harder going on your point, but McLean's strengths are now as a midfielder, he's no more a genuine forward than the others you mention. Maybe Bont initially spends a 50/50 split mid and forward, I know his goal-kicking has been ordinary but he makes things happen and gets involved more resting forward than Macrae and McLean. Libba can kick a goal, as can Smith (small sample size). Maybe the splits are Dunkley 75/25, Macrae 75/25, Bont 50/50, McLean 75/25, Smith 25/75 (obviously bench time rotations taken into account as well).

well, its not all about how to get the best out of each player, but how to get the best out of the team. And there are forwards and deep forwards and high forwards..which is mclean? I can see his skillset being handy as a high forward - good hands, sharp mover and good kick. Can also kick goals from a set shot or snap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back