Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

Very strange. Would be silly to drop Dunkley, he is best 22 just getting played out of position. He is purely an inside mid.
He seems the best choice to run with Cripps.
Lats year his run with roles played him into form, this could be his best opportunity.

One of Wallis, Dunkley and McLean is surplus to our needs. One needs to come out, and I don't think that's McLean. We are running too many midfielders that cameo in the forward line instead of genuine forwards that can push to the middle when required. How many midfielders rested in West Coast's forward line last year?
Wallis needs to play forward which hasn't happened enough, Dunkley needs to play in the middle which hasn't happened enough, and McLean needs to rotate through the middle which hasn't happened enough.

It's not completely about changing the players, just using them better.

Duryea does what he does well, but rarely does he do it. Out.
Duryea is best 22 and shuts down his opponents and often sweeps back which stops the 'over the back' goals we leaked far too often last year. He's a huge upgrade on Roarke Smith and nowhere near the chopping block for mine.

Sadly it doesn't sound like Trengove is a chance which is a shame because Schache for Trengove is the first change I'd make.

How many midfielders rested in West Coast's forward line last year?
West Coast don't play like us they are a kicking team with a strong anchor at the back consisting of
multiple avenues of attack and defence. We handball more which suits our one paced shuffling
band of midfield superstars although they don't sound like superstars when you phrase it like
that. I am sure we should be able to shuffle and accumulate our way past Carlton in yet another
candidate for game of the year status.

Duryea is best 22 and shuts down his opponents and often sweeps back which stops the 'over the back' goals we leaked far too often last year. He's a huge upgrade on Roarke Smith and nowhere near the chopping block for mine.

Sadly it doesn't sound like Trengove is a chance which is a shame because Schache for Trengove is the first change I'd make.

Mofra, though Schache is of KPP height and has been the second ruck I don't believe this is his position. He plays more like a mid forward like Gowers or a Dickson. I would look at dropping one of them, play Trengrove until Boyd is fit and see how Schache goes as the third tall. Obviously he will need to massively step up the defensive side of his game to play this role

Mofra, though Schache is of KPP height and has been the second ruck I don't believe this is his position. He plays more like a mid forward like Gowers or a Dickson. I would look at dropping one of them, play Trengrove until Boyd is fit and see how Schache goes as the third tall. Obviously he will need to massively step up the defensive side of his game to play this role

Schache is the smallest 197cm bloke I’ve seen since Jade Rawlings.

We do pick them

I don't see the need for McLean in the middle. Bont, Libba, Macrae (the big three), Smith and Dunkley (replacing Wallis) would be plenty. Any more than that and you're diluting the gametime of our best midfielders, plus forcing them to rotate forward which dilutes the quality of the forward line as well.

McLean is the only small forward right now, can't have it just be two KPF and mediums. Without him the next fastest player is Dickson who is getting slower by the day. Wouldn't mind seeing Lynch brought in for some extra speed.

Wallis needs to play forward which hasn't happened enough, Dunkley needs to play in the middle which hasn't happened enough, and McLean needs to rotate through the middle which hasn't happened enough.

It's not completely about changing the players, just using them better.
It's not enough to say someone needs to play more middle though. If we put Dunkley and McLean into the middle more often, it just means one of Macrae, Bont, Libba and Smith are resting forward in the meantime. We still have the problem of way too many midfielders in the team and nowhere near enough actual forwards (hence our scoring problems)

It's not enough to say someone needs to play more middle though. If we put Dunkley and McLean into the middle more often, it just means one of Macrae, Bont, Libba and Smith are resting forward in the meantime. We still have the problem of way too many midfielders in the team and nowhere near enough actual forwards (hence our scoring problems)
Wallis is spending too much time in the middle, Dunkley too little. That's an easy swap.

I don't see the need for McLean in the middle. Bont, Libba, Macrae (the big three), Smith and Dunkley (replacing Wallis) would be plenty. Any more than that and you're diluting the gametime of our best midfielders, plus forcing them to rotate forward which dilutes the quality of the forward line as well.

McLean is the only small forward right now, can't have it just be two KPF and mediums. Without him the next fastest player is Dickson who is getting slower by the day. Wouldn't mind seeing Lynch brought in for some extra speed.

The problem is McLean is not a small forward, he's a midfielder being played in the forward line. Last year he played his best footy on ball. Even in 2016 when played predominantly as a forward, he only kicked 14 goals in 15 games, 2017 - 13 goals in 19 games and 2018 11 goals from 22 games. But in 2018 he returned career high totals in most categories. This year, played predominantly forward, averages are all down. Also watching him in two games up close this year when ball is not in our forward line, he doesn't seem to be enjoying his footy quite as much, but that's a purely personal subjective view.

As per Mofra's reply, the Wallis/Dunkley swap is a simple solution. The McLean one is a bit harder going on your point, but McLean's strengths are now as a midfielder, he's no more a genuine forward than the others you mention. Maybe Bont initially spends a 50/50 split mid and forward, I know his goal-kicking has been ordinary but he makes things happen and gets involved more resting forward than Macrae and McLean. Libba can kick a goal, as can Smith (small sample size). Maybe the splits are Dunkley 75/25, Macrae 75/25, Bont 50/50, McLean 75/25, Smith 25/75 (obviously bench time rotations taken into account as well).

The problem is McLean is not a small forward, he's a midfielder being played in the forward line. Last year he played his best footy on ball. Even in 2016 when played predominantly as a forward, he only kicked 14 goals in 15 games, 2017 - 13 goals in 19 games and 2018 11 goals from 22 games. But in 2018 he returned career high totals in most categories. This year, played predominantly forward, averages are all down. Also watching him in two games up close this year when ball is not in our forward line, he doesn't seem to be enjoying his footy quite as much, but that's a purely personal subjective view.

I disagree, I'm actually pretty happy with how he's looking as a forward right now - 4 goals and 3 goal assists is a good start, just behind Dickson (5 and 3). Stats pro says he's currently elite in tackles in forward 50, 1%, intercept possessions, and marks inside 50. Never saw what others did as a midfielder, great tackle numbers but not sure what else he adds that others couldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'm wondering is why Bevo has changed a successful formula. It took us most of last year to hit the right formula but by the August we had Wallis playing 80% forward and Dunkley and McLean mainly on the ball. We finished the season in form that was challenging all comers including the top side on the ladder.

So now he's gone back to some other system which plays to those players' weaknesses rather than their strengths.

I'm sure he has some damned good reason but I'm too much of a mere mortal to be able to see it. Can someone enlighten me please?

What I'm wondering is why Bevo has changed a successful formula. It took us most of last year to hit the right formula but by the August we had Wallis playing 80% forward and Dunkley and McLean mainly on the ball. We finished the season in form that was challenging all comers including the top side on the ladder.

So now he's gone back to some other system which plays to those players' weaknesses rather than their strengths.

I'm sure he has some damned good reason but I'm too much of a mere mortal to be able to see it. Can someone enlighten me please?
It’s like we have promised Wallis a main midfield role. I wonder if that’s what it took to get his signature.

It’s like we have promised Wallis a main midfield role. I wonder if that’s what it took to get his signature.
I really hope not. That's putting individuals ahead of team needs.

I was happy enough to keep him and of course there's the family link to the club. However if he had left we'd have quickly covered him and it would have been an opportunity for someone like Lipinski, Webb or Cavarra to show us what they can do.

Wallis is spending too much time in the middle, Dunkley too little. That's an easy swap.
Completely agree there. It's really unintuitive to have Dunkley (a s**t forward) playing so much forward time, then to have Wallis (a s**t mid) playing so much midfield time. Really don't understand the logic in not swapping them around. McLean just needs more midfield rotations. Just don't let Wallis touch the middle of the ground is basically the point I'm trying to get across haha

More of a mystery than the Mary Celeste

FYI...

All players were available today for the kids clinic at Whitten Oval.

Tom Boyd and Hunter the only two players not there.
Take it for what you will but my boy (whose favourite player is Lachie) was told he was home sick.

Fingers crossed its hasnt spread.
Fingers crossed none of the 100 or so kids werent crook as there were alot of high players between players and germy kids !

If that's what it required, we should have let him walk to Brisbane/Essendon. I love Wallis and see him as an outside candidate for captaincy the last few years, but he really is surplus to our needs, considering even Jong is more useful in the middle. Either Wallis plays up forward, or he's detrimental to our side. We easily have Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean and Dunkley as more capable players in the midfield

If that's what it required, we should have let him walk to Brisbane/Essendon. I love Wallis and see him as an outside candidate for captaincy the last few years, but he really is surplus to our needs, considering even Jong is more useful in the middle. Either Wallis plays up forward, or he's detrimental to our side. We easily have Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean and Dunkley as more capable players in the midfield
I agree and it was half said in jest, but like most of us it doesn’t make sense to continue with Dunkley and Wallis in their current roles.

He was one of our top forwards last year and we're already an incredibly young list by AFL standards, I wanted to keep him but not as a 100% mid as he seems to be playing this year.

First off i agree with the need to swap Wallis and Dunkley's roles.

However i wanted to challenge the idea a few people have on this board that our late season form last year was great. Last 4 rounds we beat a hapless Saints side, a good win over the Kangas, limped over the line against Carlton in what was a very dour affair and then lost to Richmond in a game played at pre season intensity pretty sure the average quarter length in that game was 25 minutes as no one wanted to lay a hand on the opposition. (Remember our final round losses against Brisbane and Freo in 15/16, teams don't try when their positions are locked up).
The four weeks prior to this we were beaten by 44, 54, 50 and 63 against finals bound teams, which was a clear reflection of where we were at for the season, there was improvement in the final few rounds and the Roos game was encouraging but we were hardly going to challenge any team in the comp at that stage in a competitive fixture.

First off i agree with the need to swap Wallis and Dunkley's roles.

However i wanted to challenge the idea a few people have on this board that our late season form last year was great. Last 4 rounds we beat a hapless Saints side, a good win over the Kangas, limped over the line against Carlton in what was a very dour affair and then lost to Richmond in a game played at pre season intensity pretty sure the average quarter length in that game was 25 minutes as no one wanted to lay a hand on the opposition. (Remember our final round losses against Brisbane and Freo in 15/16, teams don't try when their positions are locked up).
The four weeks prior to this we were beaten by 44, 54, 50 and 63 against finals bound teams, which was a clear reflection of where we were at for the season, there was improvement in the final few rounds and the Roos game was encouraging but we were hardly going to challenge any team in the comp at that stage in a competitive fixture.
Fair point. However you can only beat whoever's there, and apart from Richmond we did. Probably should have rolled them too.
It was an improvement on our mid-season form which is more the point I was making. Norf were finals-bound too until we beat them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back