Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a bunch of sensitive little flowers - another attack from the big bad lady writer on the tv......how will we ever cope?
Perhaps your way of "coping" with all the negative press (that is becoming so obvious & boring every time we lose) is to mock your own supporters, but that doesn`t change the fact that Carro does have a hard on about putting the boots into Carlton.........there are plenty of other things that she could talk about this season.........like how certain big name players are not being suspended and the overall poor umpiring standards since the new rules have been forced on them for starters........and Hocking blindly justifying everything the AFL does. I wonder how Mr Christian will let Ablett off for his latest brain fade...........third time lucky perhaps??? Carlton supporters are frustrated enough this season without having to put up with the negative stuff Carro said on that Adelaide radio show because it is not constructive at all and is just her having a bitch session at the clubs`expense!!! Carlton are on the bottom, but they are not responsible for personally pissing off journos.......that is their own problem!!!:eek:

HAHAHA. Trust me I am far from a tough guy making an assessment on the intestinal fortitude of our skinny kids whilst sitting behind the keyboard. My point is exactly that we hard a core group of street wise Junkyard dogs at the time, and it is important to have a mix of these likely types in every team. Fact is we haven't. it is important to have blend of these types on our list.

Regardless, after Mumford's low act on Murph there should have been some sort of strong emotion shown.
The AFL were just as bad for letting him get away with it and inviting him to keep on doing that sort of thing..........Gil & Hocking talk the talk but that`s where their toughness ends........no guts!!!

I thought Williams only coached one on one and was paid for that.

But heard he was coaching Cripps and Dow and now that photo with Stocker, wonder if the club has him on some kind of part time role. Would be worth every penny.

Some of his other clients include Tom Mitchell and Neale
no good if he is teaching opposition players...we should put him on a salary....maybe even midfield coach.... imagine that...we'd have all the midfielders wanting to come to the blues

Either do your eyes
He’s finished
The opposition know it and i bet deep down our blokes know it too ...

The young ones have not moved past Murphy yet, my eyes don't lie. Murphy might not have a physical side to his game anymore but neither do our young players yet apart from Cripps and Walsh. Murphy is still a better ball getter than the rest. Who do you think is better than Murphy in our midfield other than Cripps and Walsh?

The young ones have not moved past Murphy yet, my eyes don't lie. Murphy might not have a physical side to his game anymore but neither do our young players yet apart from Cripps and Walsh. Murphy is still a better ball getter than the rest. Who do you think is better than Murphy in our midfield other than Cripps and Walsh?

Putting Murphy in the guts only deprives our babies of valuable experience, and shortens his career. Sure rotate him through as needed, but to have him as a starting mid would be a step backwards. Our youngsters need to feed on their mistakes/successes this year during 2020 preseason and will come out all the better for it

All of them.
Murphy has lost the edge needed to play at the top level.
The opposition know it and i’m sure our blokes do too.
That’s the nicest way i can say it.

All of them.
Murphy has lost the edge needed to play at the top level.
The opposition know it and i’m sure our blokes do too.
That’s the nicest way i can say it.

Not that I see, SPS and Fisher are under Murphy still. Murphy still gets more of the footy. None of them stick tackles all that well. They have potential and you are judging them on potential, they have not got there yet.

Midfielders primary job is to win the footy unless they are tagging. These guys are producing around the same results as Murphy although Murphy is typically getting a bit more of it. None are what I would call a physical presence and all are below average AFL midfielders.

Start winning more of the ball or contribute in another way which is significant such as with tackling or physicality or a few goals then yeah sure they are there yet but end of the day they aren't.

Next year yes probably. We saw on the weekend, Murphy out is a 20-28 possession player out of our side. I didn't think anyone stepped up and got more of the footy than usual to make up for him being out.

We replaced him with Kennedy who didn't get a lot of it and didn't do much else.

Primary role of a mid is to get the footy, gotta tick that box first.

Putting Murphy in the guts only deprives our babies of valuable experience, and shortens his career. Sure rotate him through as needed, but to have him as a starting mid would be a step backwards. Our youngsters need to feed on their mistakes/successes this year during 2020 preseason and will come out all the better for it

Murphy is going ok on a wing and that's fine. I think in a better side we could afford to have him play forward but in our side we don't get any use out of him there.

The good sides still develop their players in the VFL and in peripheral positions and it does not hurt them at all. It would be great if we could do the same but we lack a core of key prime age players to do that.

There is a lot going against a bottom side like ours and this is just one of those things. Murphy is going to have to play wing and hopefully our midfield matures next season and hopefully we recruit a few and we can afford to play him forward. I think in a good side that moves the ball well Murphy could play forward and have an impact but with our side with our ball movement not so much.

I mean, I'm just reading between the lines a bit. But if the only thing Weitering is upset about with that play is missing the target then clearly it's never crossed his mind that he should've kicked down the ground. Then nearly the exact same situation presents itself and we do the same thing. That to me is an indicator that they haven't been told to take the risk and go down the middle to a contest. If that's the case they must've been told to play conservative instead, which fits with the rest of our gameplan.

Well that's depressing...would really show our coaches have no clue.

I'm sure Weitering is a smart guy...one of the reasons he went #1 was his high footy IQ and reading of the play.

I wonder if he has been told to go short to the pocket by the coaches, and played the party line by not wanting to openly question that direction and indicate in any way that he should have done something different ie kick long down the corridor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I see, SPS and Fisher are under Murphy still. Murphy still gets more of the footy. None of them stick tackles all that well. They have potential and you are judging them on potential, they have not got there yet.

Midfielders primary job is to win the footy unless they are tagging. These guys are producing around the same results as Murphy although Murphy is typically getting a bit more of it. None are what I would call a physical presence and all are below average AFL midfielders.

Start winning more of the ball or contribute in another way which is significant such as with tackling or physicality or a few goals then yeah sure they are there yet but end of the day they aren't.

Next year yes probably. We saw on the weekend, Murphy out is a 20-28 possession player out of our side. I didn't think anyone stepped up and got more of the footy than usual to make up for him being out.

We replaced him with Kennedy who didn't get a lot of it and didn't do much else.

Primary role of a mid is to get the footy, gotta tick that box first.

Perhaps you either didn’t read my post or didn’t understand it.
Anyway, i’ll leave it at that.

Nick Reiwoldt hit the nail on the head on SEN this morning.

In exactly the same position as a few weeks ago against the Pies where we need to kick goals in the final minutes, some of the team sets up for the quick ball down the corridor, yet the defense starts chipping around in the backline again.

We aren't learning from our mistakes.

In my view there are two options the coaches aren't being listened to or the players in question aren't coachable.

Article is now up on SEN website https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/26/the-moment-in-carltons-loss-that-frustrated-nick-riewoldt

Marchbank and Plowman, serial offenders with poor decision making under pressure.

I mean, I'm just reading between the lines a bit. But if the only thing Weitering is upset about with that play is missing the target then clearly it's never crossed his mind that he should've kicked down the ground. Then nearly the exact same situation presents itself and we do the same thing. That to me is an indicator that they haven't been told to take the risk and go down the middle to a contest. If that's the case they must've been told to play conservative instead, which fits with the rest of our gameplan.

And Riewolt wonders why we aren't learning from our mistakes.

Marchbank and Plowman, serial offenders with poor decision making under pressure.
nice potting - marchbank had a fine game - plowman is plumb out of confidence - get yourself to a game and try for a seat with vision of the whole ground.....

nice potting - marchbank had a fine game - plowman is plumb out of confidence - get yourself to a game and try for a seat with vision of the whole ground.....

Yep Marchbank played well, does not mean, he doesn't make poor decisions under pressure. Plowman does good things, does not mean he doesn't make stupid decisions that cost the team.

These two aren't kids, have been around a while and should be better.

love all this "should be" s**t - say who? by what standard? every other club, coach, administration? should be what? different? better? faster? seriously, how about real supporters "should be" better at supporting - thick & thin, good & bad, up & down? how's that for a "should be?"

Easily fixed if players up the ground spread to vacant space and presented a target. Both can hit open targets, both get very few chances to do so because their team mates use their intercept marks to take a breather.

If we waited until we had moved the ball out of defensive 50 to take a break, then we would have more options, including going backwards, to get out of trouble once play has slowed. Being caught deep in defence, with no movement or space to aim at up the ground, would be a very lonely place on the field.

We expect disposal miracles from under siege defenders, when the reason for some of their errors lays elsewhere on the field.

Stocker is going to be something special. View attachment 679842
"So basically I would punch the ball right here like this, and I would look straight ahead to where I wanted to handball it, see, see I'm looking ahead? Then, are you watching Luke? Then the only other thing I did was to hit up a teammate in the best possible position."

"Thank you Mr Williams, I really appreciate that insight"

"That's ok young fella, no use this experience going to waste. And you saw my fist was closed didn't you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back