Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Remove this Banner Ad

A good test tonight against a quality club - albeit one not quite at full strength - on their hallowed home deck.

Strange scoreboard; we racked up close to 100 points in the middle parts of the game, but couldn’t crack double figures in the 1st and 4th.

It’s a distant memory now, but that 1st quarter was a horror show, with the Tigers giving us a lesson on how to play under greasy conditions.

We continually refused to take the first (which is usually the safest and best) option; I’ve noted a couple of times now in 2019 that this iteration of the GFC play their best when they are taking that first clear option. We got away from that in the 1st quarter.

The team struggled to run and link up early on, but some individual moments of brilliance gave heart - Esava’s catch and conversion for our opening goal, Stewart’s phenomenally unlikely smother up on the wing.
Throughout this early period of the match Mighty Gryan Miers stood tall, metaphorically. Clever and clean around the packs, dangerous in open play, and deadly around goal, he was at the forefront of the turnaround.

Duncan turned it over more in 1 quarter than he had during the previous month, but by the end of the game he’d got enough of the ball that he managed to play himself back into form.

Dangerfield can get a little lax by hand and foot at times, and the opening stanza was a sharp reminder (to him) that he can’t afford to take liberties despite his surplus of talent. I didn’t like seeing Dangerfield all goofy guffaws with a clearly nonplussed Martin before the ball was bounced - give me the focussed, almost subdued Danger of last week please.

Tom Hawkins dropped a regulation chest mark up on the wing early doors, but he got better and better as the game wore on and ended with his obligatory 4 snags.

Esava’s run in the ruck during the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter was some of the best footy he’s played, hustling it up in the ruck contests and muscling it up with contested marks around the ground. A shame that he finished the game in a dressing gown, but very encouraging signs nonetheless.

The umpires briefly rallied in the 3rd to try to rouse the Tigers, but Ablett led the Cats through troubled whistles and Hawkins, then Miers kicked their respective 3rds to extend an already healthy lead. Suck s**t Richmond Umpires.

As the 3rd quarter wore on it and Richmond listlessly ran through the motions, that shabby 1st quarter became a but a memory - this was the closest to ‘Showtime’ I’d seen from Geelong for quite some time.
We were dobbing blink-n-ya-miss-‘em goals; Duncan then Ablett for his 2nd in the space of what seemed like seconds.

By the time the world’s least convincing tough guy, f-wit Townsend, managed to give away 2 weak free kicks against the youngest player on the field - leading to a Rhys Stanley goal - it was party time.

The celebrations were well-deserved and it was great to watch the team get around Clark and generally show staunchness and solidarity.

Last quarter was a training drill; congrats to Richmond on being the most woeful opponents we've faced thus far in 2019.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skill level down first quarter then an exceptional performance after that.
Hawkins, Gaz, Danger, Stewart, Kelly all fantastic again.
Special mentions though must go to Miers who is showing more and more of his class and skill, didn't mind he got a bit goal hungry i reckon one game he will pile on a bag.
Ratugolea was really priming for a breakout game, shame about the injury lets hope it's only precautionary.
Really impressed again by the toughness and smarts of Atkins and i also thought Clark worked his way into the game too and showed some good dash.

Very balanced team effort

For the Tugger lurkers...

You put you 67 point win in.
You put your 67 point win out
You put your 67 point win in
and you shake it all about.

you do the Gary Ablett and still smash Richmond...
And thats what its all about.

Go Catters

I'm galavanting around a foreign country at the moment. Watched the first quarter and left in a huff.

Saw the half time score and was surprised.

Saw the full time score and couldn't believe it.

Richmond scoring 3 goals in 3/4s of footy (4 if you count that "score review" I see people talking about) is incredibly good.

To pile on goals at our end is even better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back