Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Geelong & Changes for Adelaide

Best Players vs Geelong

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still undecided about Lynch.

I had seriously hoped for more from him thinking that he'd eat up lots of those wasted inside 50s we were talking about last year, but that hasn't happened.

I'd be really dark on the bloke if not for three things:

1) I don't think our delivery inside 50 suits him -- our problem last year (I think) was that so many of our inside 50s were just bombed in. Great for our small forwards if the ball came to ground, but not for a tall marking forward. I don't think we've changed our approach to take greatest benefit of Lynch's marking ability. That said, I don't think there's any intention to change. Dimma himself said in his presser that this isn't the role that Lynch was brought in to play but, rather, to bring the ball to ground.

2) The fact that you can't expect a bloke returning from a PLC injury (and still on restricted training) to provide an instant impact at a new club. The longer things go on, the less this applies, of course.

3) Our entire forward structure is unsettled in a big way. With Jack out, there's no doubt that Lynch will draw the oppositions #1 defender -- and probably get double or triple teamed (including the presence of the oppo ruck) quite a bit. Without that second tall, and with precious little consistency from week to week, he's doing it tough.

Personally, I find it hard to get clarity on whether or not things are tracking well with Lynch or not.

I do not understand how we are not taking options other than Lynch to break up the opposition defence so when we do go to Lynch he has more space,

We seem too one dimensional and predictable and he is not Richo when it comes to marking and athleticism.

The difference between our forward line and Geelong forward line with Miers in particular and Ablett with Rohan is stark. Note I am not even talking about the bigs.

Talk about Miers v Baker but even Miers versus Butler in how he gets marks up the ground hunting the ball and providing a link between the midfield and other forwards is telling. Miers is a first year player and he leaves some of our smalls for dead in terms of contribution and forward craft not even counting the goals he kicks!!! Too many of our smaller types rely largely on the crumb and tackle to get the ball and use it effectively!!

Last edited:
I'm still undecided about Lynch.

I had seriously hoped for more from him thinking that he'd eat up lots of those wasted inside 50s we were talking about last year, but that hasn't happened.

I'd be really dark on the bloke if not for three things:

1) I don't think our delivery inside 50 suits him -- our problem last year (I think) was that so many of our inside 50s were just bombed in. Great for our small forwards if the ball came to ground, but not for a tall marking forward. I don't think we've changed our approach to take greatest benefit of Lynch's marking ability. That said, I don't think there's any intention to change. Dimma himself said in his presser that this isn't the role that Lynch was brought in to play but, rather, to bring the ball to ground.

2) The fact that you can't expect a bloke returning from a PLC injury (and still on restricted training) to provide an instant impact at a new club. The longer things go on, the less this applies, of course.

3) Our entire forward structure is unsettled in a big way. With Jack out, there's no doubt that Lynch will draw the oppositions #1 defender -- and probably get double or triple teamed (including the presence of the oppo ruck) quite a bit. Without that second tall, and with precious little consistency from week to week, he's doing it tough.

Personally, I find it hard to get clarity on whether or not things are tracking well with Lynch or not.

Agree. Time will tell. Personally I think he will be fine. I really do. He is way to good a player. Next year will really tell the story if he is has been a good recruit.

Watching the game last night I thought on more than one occasion how good it would be to have Jack on the field. He is a genius at making the defence nervous with his running and leading patterns.

Probably more important, we are really missing his leadership.

I do not understand how we are not taking options other than Lynch to break up the opposition defence so when we do go to Lynch he has more space,

We seem too one dimensional and predictable and he is not Richo when it comes to marking and athleticism.

The difference between our forward line and Geelong forward line with Miers in particular and Ablett with Rohan is stark and note I am not even talking about the bigs

When you say this, do you mean at the selection table, or with our delivery inside 50?

I'm not sure we have selection options, but I don't think that's what you mean.

If you mean why aren't we hitting up blokes other than Lynch my response is to ask whether we even try to hit up Lynch let alone anybody else.

Here I just go back to what I said about bombing it in. Our entries inside 50 might be described as "aspirational" rather than purposeful. Apart from maybe Dusty and Cotch at their best, we just don't seem to target the big guy (or anybody really, even our field kicking involves putting it out in front of a foot chase). If we're trying to, we're not pulling it off. So my question: if we're not willing (or not able) to target Lynch, why would we even talk about trying to target other forward line options?

Frankly, looking at our disposal efficiency from last night and thinking about the amount of opposition intercept marks inside our forward 50, I just don't think we go inside 50 with purpose or precision. We bomb and hope (or so it seems to me).

That makes debates about giving Lynch a chance by targeting other forward options moot.

Here I'm very impressed by Geelong's ability to hit targets by foot (and not just Geelong), but it just doesn't seem to be something we can do, assuming it's something we even want to do.

Agree. Time will tell. Personally I think he will be fine. I really do. He is way to good a player. Next year will really tell the story if he is has been a good recruit.

Watching the game last night I thought on more than one occasion how good it would be to have Jack on the field. He is a genius at making the defence nervous with his running and leading patterns.

Probably more important, we are really missing his leadership.

I think this has been undersold when talking about our injuries. Rance and Riewoldt are the general for backs and forwards. When you actually go to the game instead of watching on tv, you see just how much these guys do off the ball with their direction and leadership to less experienced guys.

The good thing is without them it fast-tracks other players (i.e. Grimes has been instrumental in marshaling our defense this year).

When you say this, do you mean at the selection table, or with our delivery inside 50?

I'm not sure we have selection options, but I don't think that's what you mean.

If you mean why aren't we hitting up blokes other than Lynch my response is to ask whether we even try to hit up Lynch let alone anybody else.

Here I just go back to what I said about bombing it in. Our entries inside 50 might be described as "aspirational" rather than purposeful. Apart from maybe Dusty and Cotch at their best, we just don't seem to target the big guy (or anybody really, even our field kicking involves putting it out in front of a foot chase). If we're trying to, we're not pulling it off. So my question: if we're not willing (or not able) to target Lynch, why would we even talk about trying to target other forward line options?

Frankly, looking at our disposal efficiency from last night and thinking about the amount of opposition intercept marks inside our forward 50, I just don't think we go inside 50 with purpose or precision. We bomb and hope (or so it seems to me).

That makes debates about giving Lynch a chance by targeting other forward options moot.

Here I'm very impressed by Geelong's ability to hit targets by foot (and not just Geelong), but it just doesn't seem to be something we can do, assuming it's something we even want to do.

Delivery inside 50.

I think part of it is we have that many smalls that rely on handball use and are not strong marking targets they get ignored and we go to Lynch too often and too often in packs and the smalls kicking is not that penetrating when they are up the ground and going forward as well. So our mix I think increases our inefficiency.

The smalls get caught up in this handball run and carry link play that throws our spread out of whack and marking options going forward on spread so more often than not when we kick forward Lynch is competing against a number of defenders, but we still kick to Lynch with our smalls drawn up the ground and not providing other marking targets!!!

For example in the last quarter Houli was on the boundary with a Geelong play in front and Naish a bit further along the line. Houli ignores Naish and kicks the ball long to Lynch in a forming pack near the boundary in forward 50 that was defused. What Houli should have done was handball to Naish, Naish runs on and looks for other options more central in our forward fifty and at least draw some of Geelong's defenders out as well as the Geelong player between Houli and Naish and Naish hopefully could find one of our players more one out in space. Even if Naish went to Lynch after that Lynch probably more likely to be successful than a long pack scenario near the boundary, Even if Lynch gets it its hard for him to kick it from the boundary!!!

Last edited:
No pre season ,training 1 day a week new game plan and playing one out KPP he has done a pretty good job .
Should have kicked 4 last night .
The club had planned to rest him before now .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All true, hence why I'm not remotely ready to jump on the "Lynch is a flop" bandwagon.

He was supposed to slot into the premiership team that made top of the table in 2018, not a depleted forward line being fed by a depleted centre line trying furiously to stop the ball going in against a depleted back-line. He was meant to be icing, not cake.

Good summation plus we have a further number with less than 50 games
Also Towner isn’t up to it
Butler is very ordinary
Rioli been poor all year
All the Lynch bashing is strange he could have kicked 4-6 last night delivery is crap but he is competing and getting ball to ground problem is our smalls this year are poor
People need a scapegoat and the fact of the matter is our smalls have our loyalty while Lynch still has to work for it.

I think the Lynch bashing is bullshit, our position this year isn’t his fault but it is what it is.

Until he kicks a few bags in a row and he plays a winning grand final for us, which unfortunately won’t be this year, people will still scapegoat him.

Is there a more disingenuous, fake, phoney piece of *** than this bloke ?

He’s all diplomatic and such when he wins, but when he loses he’s a total campaigner throwing the toys out of the cot. A sore loser.

If an incorrect call on the goal line went against his team, and his team lost, then you could guarantee this ahole would be going berserk.

Can’t **** stand him. Dislike him more than any other coach - or even player- in the league. And I’m not just saying that coz we lost tonight. I can’t have him at any time ....after any game ....his club plays.
Being groomed for life after Coach of geelol for head honcho at the AFL....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game proves the mantra about “one soldier out one soldier” in is a load of crap. It works if you lose one soldier or the outs are barely in your best 22, but when it’s the best on your list you can only paper over the cracks so Long
LOL you can't do it down to soldier 8 out soldier 8 in, looking bit ordinary by 8 then... tenor.gif

Chris Scott having a sook about booing. Ablett and Danger deserve it for being absolute flogs and he makes no noise about booing when it is his own feral supporters booing at Kitty Litter Park. Typical Geelong wankstain. A walking billboard for contraception.
Gets away with that rubbish cos he knows his back is covered down at AFL kitty litter house...

Sucky suck suck laying in the ground work for their first final...
They should get two home finals this year .
It's looking like only two vic sides will play finals this year .So no reason the AFL shouldn't give them a home game against a interstate team .
It's going to be a very quiet finals series at the G this year .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who is the guy on bigfooty that posts the stats of the players that start in the center square and wings at every centre bounce?

And where can I find this info.

What the **** did we change in the pre season to have so many injuries ? what a utensil up by the club
You’re taking the piss.
It’s footy you can’t avoid the injuries these blokes have had

Back