Preview Changes: R15 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We keep losing to the Cats playing the same style, I would love to see Pyke try something different.

We should go small in our forward line with just Tex as a tall with the help of Lynch and play Betts, Murphy, Stengle and a resting mid. Try and change it up, we may get beaten in the air but if they don’t mark it, we should be in.

I would like em to play Fog but I think if he does, his man will take a lot of intercept marks.

We just can’t play the same as we do every year and get the same result.

We should give it a go and if it works to an extent, we can save it for them if we play them in the finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree completely - do something different; don't select the same team and play the same style that generally fails.

This is a good opportunity to implement a selection and game plan based upon the opponent - instead of operating in a vacuum.

Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified pointed out how poor the Ryder/Lycett combo has been. That both would be better off as the No 1 ruck.

Doesn't think Ryder has ever been great as a forward whereas as No 1 ruck has thrived.

O'Brien/Jacobs... don't do it, Don

The funniest thing about it is that this is the EXACT mistake that they made when they first recruited him- played him as a forward, he sucked, they put him in ruck he was really good.

Who pays out big dollars in free agency to actively replicate a past mistake?

Ahh Port, never change.

The funniest thing about it is that this is the EXACT mistake that they made when they first recruited him- played him as a forward, he sucked, they put him in ruck he was really good.

Ahh Port, never change.
Listening to Voss today, “we don’t know if we can play the two big guys plus Dixon”

Really? You go out and get another ruckman and you don’t know if you can play him, Ryder and Dixon at the first opportunity to play all 3 together?

You couldn’t make this s**t up.

Ahh Port, never change.
And that was the end of their vice captain in Lobbe was it?

Ahh Port, never change.

Nah, drawing the big name free agent/trades are crucial to their self identity as a "destination club" and spin which is primary to fielding a competitive football team.

Same reason they went out and got Rockliff, only to put their best mid in Boak to the Half Forward line.

Putting out a competitive Football side is somewhere down the list of priorities at Alberton, well behind marketing and China.

Jenkins nigh on snapped his leg off. No way he’ll be back before round 19/20 at best.
No leg-snapping involved at all. It was a 'hyperextension' ie his lower leg bent at the knee in a direction and angle that it's not supposed to do :eek:; still bloody painful.
Whenever he returns, he won't be as potent as he was last Saturday when he was both match-fit and stinging from his time in the SANFL, with a point to prove.

No leg-snapping involved at all. It was a 'hyperextension' ie his lower leg bent at the knee in a direction and angle that it's not supposed to do :eek:; still bloody painful.
Whenever he returns, he won't be as potent as he was last Saturday when he was both match-fit and stinging from his time in the SANFL, with a point to prove.
Saw Jenkins on afl 360 last night. May be back for showdown or gold coast I feel. He said he is recovering much quicker than the diagnosis.

Don't want to stick the boots into Jenkins because he's just had three really good games but...

We should not bring him back until he is absolutely 100% cherry ripe and can't even remember which knee it happened to.

Some players can play through injury but JJ is utterly useless at even 99% fitness.

Remember the Sydney final with his ankle? And his performances coming back from the ribs? And his recent SANFL efforts when his ankle wasn't quite right?

Even after a one week layoff for hayfever he's one who should always come back through the SANFL

We keep losing to the Cats playing the same style, I would love to see Pyke try something different.

We should go small in our forward line with just Tex as a tall with the help of Lynch and play Betts, Murphy, Stengle and a resting mid. Try and change it up, we may get beaten in the air but if they don’t mark it, we should be in.

I would like em to play Fog but I think if he does, his man will take a lot of intercept marks.

We just can’t play the same as we do every year and get the same result.

We should give it a go and if it works to an extent, we can save it for them if we play them in the finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like your thinking, but the Cattery is one of those places you need solid marking options across the park. As it's even skinnier than AO, you're often forced to kick down the line, so we need marking power to at least nullify their aerial ability. I think Lynch comes in for Dougie, and gut feel is EH for JJ. I'd also like to see Stengle come in for Murphy if he's still not quite right, as I think we cannot play too small against the Cats - and having Betts and Murphy allows them to mark almost uncontested far too often. If it's a horrible Geelong day, weather-wise, then your plan has more merit of course.

Don't want to stick the boots into Jenkins because he's just had three really good games but...

We should not bring him back until he is absolutely 100% cherry ripe and can't even remember which knee it happened to.

Some players can play through injury but JJ is utterly useless at even 99% fitness.

Remember the Sydney final with his ankle? And his performances coming back from the ribs? And his recent SANFL efforts when his ankle wasn't quite right?

Even after a one week layoff for hayfever he's one who should always come back through the SANFL

For this to happen, we really need Berg to perform like the way he did when he first came into the team.

That pressure will force JJ to perform in his return SANFL game. If Berg is struggling, JJ will walk straight back into senior team.

Time to unleash the Fog!

Out: Jenkins, Douglas
In: Fogarty, Lynch

Robocop to ruck the whole game, with CEY to give him a chop out if needed.

B: Brown - Hartigan - Keath
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
C: Seedsman - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Gallucci
F: Betts - Fogarty - Murphy
R: ROB - Crouch - Crouch
I: Greenwood - CEY - Milera - Kelly

There was an article on the AFC website yesterday which I will paste below about Kieran Strachan being trialed as a forward in the SANFL. We know he can ruck as that is what he was recruited as, and he is fast and very tall as well. If they are looking for a tall forward who can clunk a big markor bring hte ball to ground and who is quick and can maintain pressure as well as being a good back up ruck to ROB, it may just be that they go for Strachan in place of Jenkins in order to further his development and have a good look at him. Here is the article: https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-06-18/rookie-embracing-forward-role

There was an article on the AFC website yesterday which I will paste below about Kieran Strachan being trialed as a forward in the SANFL. We know he can ruck as that is what he was recruited as, and he is fast and very tall as well. If they are looking for a tall forward who can clunk a big markor bring hte ball to ground and who is quick and can maintain pressure as well as being a good back up ruck to ROB, it may just be that they go for Strachan in place of Jenkins in order to further his development and have a good look at him. Here is the article: https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-06-18/rookie-embracing-forward-role
He coming back from an Injury did not have a full preseason and just starting to move freely and comfortably in games, still a way to go in being that Ruck Forward option in the AFL, but could push hard after a full preseason, Currently, I doubt if he could cover the ground we expect from our Forwards in the AFL. At this time. May surprise as I have yet to see him cover a lot of ground in a match Due to Hunter/Jacobs and Himmelberg/JJ doing all the ruck work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JJ is not a good recoverer from injury unfortunately. That little rib issue a few years ago took ages to rebcover mentally from even though he was back after a month or so.
My over the top description was in answer to him returning to face Geelong next weekend.

JJ is not a good recoverer from injury unfortunately. That little rib issue a few years ago took ages to rebcover mentally from even though he was back after a month or so.
My over the top description was in answer to him returning to face Geelong next weekend.
Can understand struggling to get over badly bruised ribs, The Problem I have is his slower recovery to form from Leg injuries, He almost refuses to hit the packs and put his body on the line at times after some injuries.
However, maybe we will see how the Saunders input and the dropping affect his comeback this time.

There has been some discussion about playing 2 rucks, for those thinking it might be a good option should consider our neighbours.

2 decent rucks, Ryder forced to spend more time up forward and his form has deteriorated to the point he might be dropped.

Lycett started well but as he has to share more ruck duties his form as dropped.

The end result? 2 decent rucks not playing anywhere near their best level.

The funny thing it was so obvious it was never going to work, surely AFL coaches should have foreseen it too?

Any thought of Jacobs to replace Jenkins should see Red Cards and coaches sacked if it happens.
They also had 3 descent up and coming rucks playing SANFL waiting to take over from Ryder who now have no chance to get a game unless Lycett is injured or they drop Ryder.

Such a knee jerk reaction to go after Lycett after Ryder got injured last year, they should have backed in their young guys to step up like we have done with ROB.

Time to unleash the Fog!

Out: Jenkins, Douglas
In: Fogarty, Lynch

Robocop to ruck the whole game, with CEY to give him a chop out if needed.

B: Brown - Hartigan - Keath
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
C: Seedsman - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Gallucci
F: Betts - Fogarty - Murphy
R: ROB - Crouch - Crouch
I: Greenwood - CEY - Milera - Kelly

I actually like that set-up. I would have Greenwood in JJ's position. His mobility plus rotation with Fog would make us better. We do need to find a spot for Gibbs, maybe Murphy.

I like your thinking, but the Cattery is one of those places you need solid marking options across the park. As it's even skinnier than AO, you're often forced to kick down the line, so we need marking power to at least nullify their aerial ability. I think Lynch comes in for Dougie, and gut feel is EH for JJ. I'd also like to see Stengle come in for Murphy if he's still not quite right, as I think we cannot play too small against the Cats - and having Betts and Murphy allows them to mark almost uncontested far too often. If it's a horrible Geelong day, weather-wise, then your plan has more merit of course.
And, it's shaped like Pykey's head.

His goal kicking set-shot technique is like RoB......

For this to happen, we really need Berg to perform like the way he did when he first came into the team.

That pressure will force JJ to perform in his return SANFL game. If Berg is struggling, JJ will walk straight back into senior team.
I feel he will walk straight back in regardless. Berg showed he has some potential but is a fair way off becoming a 22 game a year afl player. Needs to build the tank and put some size on his frame. Also needs to work on his kicking for goal.

JJ admitted he came back to early from his ribs injury & was dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back