Autopsy Swans Vs Don's Rnd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the umpiring was putrid, but that is not why we lost.

Our goal kicking was atrocious. We hit the post three times at the city end.

Haywood's poster was a miracle. The look of dread on his face as he came into kick, meant it was possible he would kick it out on the full. He later missed a snap that he would have snaffled if his head was in a better space.

Will was not on his Pat Malone. Paps disposal was not up snuff. When Ollie and Ronke got rare possies, they butchered it

JPK played a great game on one leg, but he cannot keep up with the play. His footy IQ won him plenty of ball but it did not extend to being a threat with ball in hand.

Thought some of the kids stood up. Blakey contested well but should have finished with 3 goals. Dawson copped repeated physical attention but stood up. Rowbottom was terrific and set up many plays.

Heeney rightfully gets plaudits for a good game, but he possy chased and was not dangerous with ball in hand. Several times he was easily outmarked. He needs to use his body.

I thought Allir was our best. We actually got some taps to advantage and of course he was terrific when the ball hit the ground. Forty years he would have won a Brownlow as a monster ruckrover and second ruck.

Ramps was solid down back as we're Mills and Lloyd. I was pleased with Melicans efforts.

Finally, a word about the coaching. I have long thought Worsfold was one of the worst coaches of this century. He got one Premiership out of a fantastic Weasel list and presided over a drug culture. Yesterday he took the points against Horse.

IMO Norf are welcome to Horse at the absurd price allegedly being offered. I am appalled the Club may be bidding up. IMO they should provide a final offer and if it is not accepted within a fortnight, he should be stood down.

Isaac Heeney, Aliir Aliir, Josh Kennedy, Sir Dane and Sam Reid (never thought I'd say that!), take a bow. Your effort out there was enormous.

Another very impressive showing from young Rowbottom. His hands in tight are sublime.

Parker is just... dunno what to say.

Worst games of the young careers of Dawson and Florent. It's just the nature of this team at the minute and where we're at. Before the bye, Florent was looking electric, today he looked off the boil. Just last week Dawson looked sharp, today he was a liability at times. I back them both to bounce back. Hayward is another who is just in a slump at the minute, nothing that can be done about it except to ride it out. Ditto with all of them. I only single Dawson and Florent out because I actually think when they're up and about they are our two game-makers, and will be two of our very best players in the (hopefully) not too distant future, so their lack of influence is really felt. It's a testament to the impact they've made in such a short time already.

We were dysfunctional around the ground, but again, that's just a byproduct of where this team is at. No Sinclair meant Aliir in the ruck, which meant McCartin was down back, and sometimes even he wasn't down back, which meant you had situations like McKearnan the dud taking uncontested marks 25 metres out. No Sinclair meant Reid in the ruck, which meant Blakey was the only consistent forward, and he's 18. No Sinclair meant Reid and McCartin being out of the forward line for periods, which meant Heeney, our best mid on the ground, not being used in the midfield. The whole team structures were just completely out of whack, and you can't even get mad at Horse for it, because there's changing structures on the fly, and then there's basically having to re-jig the entire set-up of a team that's already young and inexperienced.

Young players means a lack of steady heads (typified by situations like Hayward failing to find Parker alone inside 50, or Dawson failing to get a handball away to Rowbottom in defensive 50 and turning it over, or Florent feeling the need to inexplicably push McDonald-Tipungwuti in the back despite having him beat.) But when you combine that lack of composure with the added challenge of having to pick up new roles on the fly, that's even harder. I think many on here, myself included, were being optimistic pre-game at how well our structures would hold up, and how unaffected the rest of the team would be by it.
Harsh on Dawson. With Aliir in the ruck, Dawson played back all evening and had to be accountable for a forward. He did what he did for the team.

Blame the umpires all we want but how many of our useless donkeys missed absolute sitters? What do they do all week? Practice goal kicking!

Footy is about making fewer skill errors than the opposition.

There are going to be errors, forced and unforced, by both sides in every match.

We made fewer than Essendon by a long way.

If the match had been umpired fairly, we’d have won comfortably.

The last 2 months have been consistently strong for a young team, there was always gonna be a week that they play underwhelming footy. Hell, there will probably be a few more before the year is done. It was a frustrating and disappointing loss but it's too much to expect that a team with as many young players in it will be consistently good each week. They were still in position to win it late despite executing terribly much of the day.

We've played well at the SCG the last few months so I'm confident in a better showing next week.

The last 2 months have been consistently strong for a young team, there was always gonna be a week that they play underwhelming footy. Hell, there will probably be a few more before the year is done. It was a frustrating and disappointing loss but it's too much to expect that a team with as many young players in it will be consistently good each week. They were still in position to win it late despite executing terribly much of the day.

We've played well at the SCG the last few months so I'm confident in a better showing next week.

even with a few mins to go they were still having a crack
in 2016 i felt like we werent allowed to win, had that again yesterday surely the players get a small sense umpires are s**t, especially a young group

but they fought it out

Footy is about making fewer skill errors than the opposition.

There are going to be errors, forced and unforced, by both sides in every match.

We made fewer than Essendon by a long way.

If the match had been umpired fairly, we’d have won comfortably.

Bad kicking is bad football period. You kick badly you lose. Papley missed about 3 easy ones, Hayward missing from 5m...

That’s bad football. End of story.

Bad kicking is bad football period. You kick badly you lose. Papley missed about 3 easy ones, Hayward missing from 5m...

That’s bad football. End of story.

if they paid the frees to us or just heenys mark, blakeys 50 and essendond dont then get the goals we win, let alone essendons dodgy frees

if they paid the frees to us or just heenys mark, blakeys 50 and essendond dont then get the goals we win, let alone essendons dodgy frees

Maybe but the way we kicked they would have missed anyway from the frees.

This game was fine, we lost but positive signs for 2020. Nice the Dogs won too.

Maybe but the way we kicked they would have missed anyway from the frees.

This game was fine, we lost but positive signs for 2020. Nice the Dogs won too.

you like the dogs too now, geez :p

9.12 to 11.10

hardly massive differences In accuracy

you like the dogs too now, geez :p

9.12 to 11.10

hardly massive differences In accuracy

It’s not the final tally in behinds but where they missed from. There were AT LEAST 4 easy shots missed, not taking half difficult ones either but ones any half competent forward kicks.

Yes the umpiring was horrible but we kicked that game away through poor finishing, the umpiring was just the cherry on the cake from a very poor game overall from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not the final tally in behinds but where they missed from. There were AT LEAST 4 easy shots missed, not taking half difficult ones either but ones any half competent forward kicks.

Yes the umpiring was horrible but we kicked that game away through poor finishing, the umpiring was just the cherry on the cake from a very poor game overall from us.

so you said, just have to agree to disagree

100% execution

Won disposals, contested and uncontested
Marks, contested, uncontested and inside 50
Won clearances and inside 50s

Only 43% scoring accuracy and only 39% of inside 50 converter to a shot

Yes the umpiring was putrid and had that been even we probably would have won anyway, but the reality is the players just did not execute effectively. No genius coaching moves available to fix that during a game.

Super impressed with how this young team is building

Happy to take these losses as long as they keep playing this way

Harsh on Dawson. With Aliir in the ruck, Dawson played back all evening and had to be accountable for a forward. He did what he did for the team.
I don’t think the middle of the day is anywhere near the evening. Dawson was average yesterday but people/players are entitled to have down days.

Only 43% scoring accuracy and only 39% of inside 50 converter to a shot

Yes the umpiring was putrid and had that been even we probably would have won anyway, but the reality is the players just did not execute effectively. No genius coaching moves available to fix that during a game.

There were a good 4 decisions paid/not paid that were at crucial times that went against us, maybe a couple that were home town crowd influenced.

Still, the boys had the game to win

Yeah. I've never actually been to an afl game. I want to, but I literally have no one to go with :(. I watch every Swans game on TV religiously though.
Mate, you’ve got to go to at least one this season. Sure it’s great to go with mates but it’s not essential, you can still really enjoy it if you go alone. You’ll get a whole new appreciation for the game, the Swans and the fans. Why not start this Saturday against the Blues? Better yet go to the Cats game on the 28th that should be a great game and a good sized crowd.

Mate, you’ve got to go to at least one this season. Sure it’s great to go with mates but it’s not essential, you can still really enjoy it if you go alone. You’ll get a whole new appreciation for the game, the Swans and the fans. Why not start this Saturday against the Blues? Better yet go to the Cats game on the 28th that should be a great game and a good sized crowd.

Agreed. I’ve been to a few games by myself including a miserable loss to Essendon in the rain on a Friday night after work circa 2001.

Made some friends in the crowd (who helped me sneak into some better seats he he). Clearly plenty of like minded souls nearby!

Not even close. The only umpiring you guys complained about was when your player couldn’t make the distance with his kick and wanted a win on a technicality. Jog off and enjoy your gifted games being a VIC club.

Agree but they are a Melbourne club. It is a Melbourne controlled comp.

Essendon spent 3 quarters playing some of the worst footy you will see and instead of beating them we matched them.

Cant win any big games without Buddy.

Blame umps all you want, team was shithouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back