Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be good if people explained why they would pick who they would.

My pick: teague
Has been from after the first week.12 years of experience in various forms. Has coached own team to success. Good presence and makes the sensible moves. Maintains long lasting positive relationships. Was ridiculously courageous and got everything he could out of himself.

I like the idea of Teague with Leigh Matthews as Yoda. I am all for the Yoda role but we need a good Yoda. Not a selfish, expensive and not actually that successful Yoda like Roos.

Matthews has no illusions that he is old and doesn’t try and say he is a guru but let’s face it, Matthews is a gruesomely natural leader and when he speaks, he means it. He demands respect.

TA

Last edited:
Can't help think david noble might be in the frame, thinking about judds comments on FC last night

Just wondering what the logic behind this is? Also, now that Lions are starting to really hit their straps, why would he want to leave?

Fagan has come from a similar background. List manager, director of coaching then general manager of football but that was with the threepeat Hawks. Part of the reason he got the gig was the thought he would help with player retention, which was a major problem.

I like the idea of Teague with Leigh Matthews as Yoda. I am all for the Yoda role but we need a good Yoda. Not a selfish, expensive and not actually that successful Yoda like Roos.

Matthews has no illusions that he is old and doesn’t try and say he is a guru but let’s face it, Matthews is a gruesomely natural leader and when he speaks, he means it. He demands respect.

TA

The negative being that he overrides/ overbears the Coach.

I'm definitely leaning strongly towards Teague + experienced Director of Coaching (+ Yoda) for 3 years (till end 2022; when Clarkson comes out of contract should things go pear shaped).

When Bolts was sacked, like the clubs commentary I wanted a proven, experienced coach with significant runs on the board (pretty much Clarkson or Lyon).

I still don’t mind those options but the landscape has now changed. Teague looks to have drastically improved performance, standards, culture and confidence of the whole club. He looks to have the full support and commitment from the players. An outstanding achievement after 5 games which has far exceeded my expectations and I would assume those of anyone connected to the club.

We now have a great opportunity to see how he performs over the next 6 weeks to make a call on the future. The real test will come as we see whether we can compete with (and beat) some of the best teams in the league and see how we deal with the challenge of being the favourites against GC and maybe the saints. We just can’t get caught in the trap of being satisfied with the last 6 weeks and limp towards the end of the season. It’s the perfect dress rehearsal.
Good luck Teaguey!

PS: Please stay away from Brad Scott and the Voss/Roos combo.

Last edited:
And how many senior coaching positions and flags has Ratten won since then?

Some coaches are just better at being assistant coaches.
Well he's been an assistant so with his capacity, 3 at the Hawks...

As far as being a Senior Coach. I think we're about to find out if he can do the impossible and get the Saints a flag.

When Bolts was sacked, like the clubs commentary I wanted a proven, experienced coach with significant runs on the board (pretty much Clarkson or Lyon).

I still don’t mind those options but the landscape has now changed. Teague looks to drastically improved performance, standards, culture and confidence of the whole club. He looks to have the full support and commitment from the players. An outstanding achievement after 5 games which has far exceeded my expectations and I would assume those of anyone connected to the club.

We now have a great opportunity to see how he performs over the next 6 weeks to make a call on the future. The real test will come as we see whether we can compete with (and beat) some of the best teams in the league and see how we deal with the challenge of being the favourites against GC and maybe the saints. We just can’t get caught in the trap of being satisfied with the last 6 weeks and limp towards the end of the season. It’s the perfect dress rehearsal.
Good luck Teaguey!

Can't help but think we're relying on Teague to avoid your PS, either would make me very sad in the short term and either delighted or very angry in the long term.

I’ve swung again. Am now on the Teague bandwagon; my third coaching preference swing in just over a week.

You seem to be in a very flukey wind. For me it started to blow from the Teague quarter after the Freo game and has just got stronger since.

Hoping it develops into a trade wind by decision time.

I still don’t mind those options but the landscape has now changed. Teague looks to drastically improved performance, standards, culture and confidence of the whole club. He looks to have the full support and commitment from the players. An outstanding achievement after 5 games which has far exceeded my expectations and I would assume those of anyone connected to the club.

Good luck Teaguey!

Continue as is for the rest of the season, win another 3 games Teague would have to get the full time gig.

If both those things happen, the top 8 would be a realistic goal for 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me its Teague.
Teague knows the players and they want him.
He is a John Nicholls Medal winner - a Carlton man.
No need to rush, see how the team goes over the next few weeks. If the same effort is there week in week out with wins against Gold Coast and St Kilda and no thrashings against the other teams, then appoint him.

Ratten is an unknown to most of the playing group and with some possible friction with some of the decision makers at the club. Be interesting to see how he goes with the Saints. I wish him well.

To me the biggest difference between Teague and Bolton is that Teague appears calm in the box and he makes mostly the right moves. Bolton hardly made a move, except for putting his hand over his mouth. Leaving Ed and Murf out of the middle was crazy. Sure, see if the youngsters can cut it, but when it is so obvious that it wasn't working you put them back. The players and supporters want to win games.
Playing them out of position, look at the difference with Murphy and Curnow, they are rejuvinated. They have been amongst the best players under Teague. Other players too. JSOS, Gibbons, and now Fisher showing some of his previous form.

Record membership numbers now, but if the losses and a spoon continued under Bolts then most likely they would drop off dramatically next season. Now, with a sustained playing effort and player development, they will continue to grow.

Possibly Bolts would have been shown the door at the end of 2018, but the extended injury list justified his retention.

TA
if there needs to be a yoda role, and I personally dont think there needs to be, I think Matthews is probably the only one that springs to my mind as a suitable candidate. And the reason being, even though he has been out of the game for a whle now, is he is still focused on the basics and the simple things. There is no overcomplication with Matthews.

Imagine if they appoint Lyon over Teague...the supporter / member backlash :oops:

Agree ESKIE. What I don't get is the media keep saying Carlton members want an experienced coach. Supporters I have spoken to just want the best coach and have been impressed by Teague.

My impression is most would be happy with Clarkson but consider it unlikely and then want Teague with support. Personally, I am open to whoever but it's so important that we put in place the right "coaching group"

If we keep winning games unless you appointed Clarko the decision makers at the club couldnt take the risk. Imagine we win another 3 games and then appoint a coach other than Clarko and have a sh%t season next year. All those people not appointing Teague would be immediately in the gun. The smart play here is Clarko or Teague, even if you just give Teague a 2 year contract.

Crazy theory on Brad Scott.
2 years ago, according to the media, he was “wanted” by another club. NM buckled and gave him an extension. We have seen Longmire do the same this year with Sydney over the North job.

Scott has been “favourite” for the Carlton or St Kilda job at multiple stages. What if he is “favourite” because his people are saying he is and the media is lapping it up, in an attempt to get one of the two clubs to blink, thinking that they have to take him so he doesn’t come off the market and go to another one.

When has a sacked coach ever been favourite for another head coach position the same year he was sacked? Let’s be honest 10 years at 1 club no premierships, it’s not like he won one in the first few years to have that tick against him. It’s all a PR exercise in the background

Theres two ways to look at it.
Either Bolton was hopeless and Teague is just doing what the list was always capable of....
Or Bolts was pretty good and very close to succeeding but Teague is a step above and brilliant.
I would put my house on it being the second.

Its an unfair comparison really because Bolton was asked to develop and just stick with the plan regardless. Let the players learn the hard way. Trouble is the young players werent ready for that and got belted around.

Teague on the other hand with a bit more freedom (on the back of an oh well thats this year done with, nothing to lose attitude from most of CFC) immediately sees something isn't working in a match and then tries something else. With instant positive effect. If a player is down move him. If one of the opposition is starring, move someone to him and shut that down. Which is pretty much what all the great coaches have always done up until the recent decade and a bit of over tactical congested rugby football.

So who would coach Carlton better than Teague is right now.
Probably nobody.

Last edited:
Imagine if they appoint Lyon over Teague...the supporter / member backlash :oops:

There may well be backlash, but as taken we are with Teague right now, how would we feel should we lose to Adelaide, West Coast, Geelong, Richmond and even St.Kilda by 50+ points? How would we feel about Teague then?

There's still some way to go and the club would be doing the right thing by still talking to all potential candidates and that should also include some names we may not like.

I love what Teague has achieved to date.
If we win another 3 games, I think he is 70% home.
If we win 4 or more, then he is 90% there.
We also need to think of the affect on the players. They are becoming increasingly emotionally connected with Teague. To rip 2 of their loved coaches in a year could be damaging to morale.
I know about professionalism, but they are also human with feelings.
My only concern with Teague, is whether the Football dept, believe he may not help us attract the top end talent as an inexperienced coach. I hope I'm wrong.
The other thing I love about Teague and this is not a knock on Bolton, but he looks so measured in the coaching box, so cool. Compared to Bolton who looked so tormented and under pressure.
Love Bolton, but love Teague more.
I have written in a previous thread. I think he is our Messiah and will bring us to the treasured land.
Please win 4 games Teague and make it so f*&#king hard for them to NOT pick you.

There may well be backlash, but as taken we are with Teague right now, how would we feel should we lose to Adelaide, West Coast, Geelong, Richmond and even St.Kilda by 50+ points? How would we feel about Teague then?

There's still some way to go and the club would be doing the right thing by still talking to all potential candidates and that should also include some names we may not like.
Completely agree with you Harker. That could be one scenario to play out and they would need to assess accordingly.
But the contrast scenario, ie. some upset wins against top 8 sides looking to play finals.
Now that would be sweet. I am daring to believe.
As a young side, we can only keep improving with every week. Who knows where we end up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back