Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiorini and Jarrod Witts for us.
Witts is a beast of a ruckman and never given any recognition
Great thread.

Witts has had more hit outs than anyone else in the competition this season.

Though he's unfashionable to some, I have always gone into paroxysms of pure pleasure at watching Kade Simpson play. Has he ever made a mistake?

What a pleasant surprise to see posters mentioning players from other teams, as well as their own.

My candidate is Stef Martin. Though he's not seven feet tall like some, he is rarely thrashed by the opposing ruckman, even if he doesn't win the overall contest in a game. He consistently gets a surprising number of possessions for a big man. If only he could eliminate a tendency to kick the ball indiscriminately. I suppose there is some advantage in having the ball go towards our goal though. So pleased to find out that he signed yesterday to go around for another year. I know for a fact that Max Gawn was very pleased Stef moved to Brisbane.

Are there any Lions players who haven't been mentioned yet
That's what happens when Brisbane only appear on Melbourne FTA TV once in a season, as happened last year. Not sure about this year, but I think they've appeared no more than three times.

Mitch Robbo has always been a bit of a cult hero with his passion and recklessness but he is a pretty decent player as well. A good kick at goal, great mark, impressive breakaway speed and a penetrating kick to go along with his fearless attack on ball and opposition. Played a fantastic season a couple of years ago but was still pigeonholed as a battler. Last year wasn't quite as good but this year with the Lions on the charge he is getting quite a bit of love from the call team on game day. Just signed a two year deal at 30 after being on a one year deal this year.
He's an accurate barometer of how the team's going. His occasional ill-disciplined act which results in a 50 are really annoying. He makes up for it though, with his utterly fearless attack on the ball. A top team needs one of his type.

Anyone said a Brisbane player yet? They seem to be really underrepresented in this thread......
Excuse me sir, do you have time to speak about the lord and saviour <insert random Brisbane, Richmond or Hawks player here>?

Harry Himmelberg comes immediately to mind. Don’t understand why he doesn’t get more attention.

Mark Blicsavs
Mark oconner
Dom Sheed
Nick Haynes
Robbie Tarant
Alex Saxton
Caleb Daniel

A lot of defenders really.
Blicsavs is an absolute gun. Can play anywhere with distinction. You'd have to be dead not to know that though.

I can't believe not many people have mentioned Kane Lambert. His inside, outside work is exceptional. An elite runner and was in the 40 man AA squad 2018. His run and pace is perfect for the Tigers
As has been recently mentioned by another poster, your avatar is pure footy pr0n. In this there exists a probably unwarranted assumption that pr0n can be pure. Depends on your taste, so-to-speak.

Kane Lambert rarely gets mentioned when talking about the Tigers, it’s always Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance etc but he has been a gun for a couple of seasons now and ire regularly among the best players each game. He is better than Shane Edwards who got an AA nod.

Another one I think is underrated is Jack Steele. He is a machine, doesn’t get elite midfielder disposal numbers but regular matches up on the best midfielder from the other team and although doesn’t tag them to limited stats like De Boer for example he limits their impact on the game. Never gets a mention but is the best tackler in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone agrees with you in this thread does that mean they don’t in terms of the question?

If everyone tells you you’re wrong does that mean you’re right?

I'll start with David Astbury and Dylan Grimes.

Astbury: Solid defender who can really lock down. Not AA material but a very good role player.

Grimes: He has stepped up big time this year without Rance. Its beyond me why he is not talked about as an AA Back Pocket.
Automatically wrong. You can't pick players from your own team you utter mad man.

Spot on though. Those two blokes have done more than their fair share to keep us afloat this year.

Kane Lambert rarely gets mentioned when talking about the Tigers, it’s always Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance etc but he has been a gun for a couple of seasons now and ire regularly among the best players each game. He is better than Shane Edwards who got an AA nod.

Another one I think is underrated is Jack Steele. He is a machine, doesn’t get elite midfielder disposal numbers but regular matches up on the best midfielder from the other team and although doesn’t tag them to limited stats like De Boer for example he limits their impact on the game. Never gets a mention but is the best tackler in the comp.
Everyone mentions Lambert. It's mainly in regards to how no one mentions him but I hear every single bloody commentator and expert say that so why don't we just shift out vernacular and start calling him what he is.

I don't think people appreciate Pendlebury as much as they should. I always thought he was better than Swan and hurts you more than Dangerfield. Fyfe might be the only midfielder other than Ablett I'd consider better since Pendles started.

Dan Houston

Easily been our most reliable and consistently good player the last 2-3 seasons.

Rarely has a bad game or is beaten in any position.

He’s the best ball user in our team and an elite decision maker.

Has shown so much versatility. From shutting down small forwards week to week, he can push off and provide great rebound from the half back blank.

Then moving to the midfield and tagging and shutting down the Brownlow favourite in Tim Kelly and getting 26 disposals himself.

To then pushing forward where he started his career and into the midfield and kicking some goals and collecting more possessions.

Kicks 63% of the time when disposing of it to get use of his great kicking, he’s one of the most underrated in the league across the last couple of years.

Only 22 years old too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back