Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I've long held the belief that we match up OK on Collingwood, and we only narrowly went down to them (thanks mainly to the umpires) on Anzac day earlier in the year.
The team looked really good against the Dockers - and it would be great to get the win here and have some momentum going into finals.

I'd have just a couple of changes;-

OUT: Margaret, Zakka
IN: Hooker, Laverde

Hooker Hurley Saad
Gleeson Francis McKenna
Merrett Heppell Parish
Langford McKernan Tippa
Stringer Brown Fanta

Z.Clarke Ambrose Shiel

Bench: Redman McGrath Ham Laverde

Comon Bombers!

Feels good having nothing to play for. Collingwood have everything on the line.

IN: Hooker, D Clarke, Laverde
OUT: Francis (inj), Zaharakis (inj), Fantasia (rest)

If Francis is not injured, then BZT makes way unfortunately.

Feels good having nothing to play for. Collingwood have everything on the line.

IN: Hooker, D Clarke, Laverde
OUT: Francis (inj), Zaharakis (inj), Fantasia (rest)

If Francis is not injured, then BZT makes way unfortunately.
Like the changes but IMO Fantasia just needs game time. Was a lot better last night.

It is a tough call though, do we also just rest him for the finals?

Like the changes but IMO Fantasia just needs game time. Was a lot better last night.

It is a tough call though, do we also just rest him for the finals?
He's still not right IMO. I say rest him because it'll give him 2 weeks to get it right. We have nothing to play for so we may as well rest players who need it in time for finals.

Hooker and Fantasia probably need it the most.

We had our chance earlier in the year to beat them and blew it. We won’t get that sort of opportunity again this year and particularly this week.

A typical story though. They (Collingwood) have looked dead average for a couple of months... play the two bottom sides on the ladder in consecutive weeks at the MCG (Gold Coast & Melbourne) and regain confidence and look like possible contenders again as they showed against the Crows. Their small forwards who have meandered through much of the season suddenly find form again too. Always seems to be the way before they play us.

If GWS win today then this game is essentially a dead rubber for us in terms of ladder position. Everyone will have their opinion on this during the week but I’d rather avoid the possible MCG Elimination Final against a Richmond or Collingwood and travel to Sydney to play the Giants. All 3 possible fixtures offer their fair share of obstacles but I think the GWS (out of those 3) are potentially most gettable. But yep a lot would have to go right for us either way which I’m not sure it will.

GWS win today and I would consider ‘resting’ the likes of Heppell, Fantasia, Francis for Friday night. Pies need to win to have a top 4 chance so will have more to play for (I still don’t think they will get there though). I don’t like saying that because it’s them but it’s the reality of this situation.

(And yes I am aware we have a week off after this game so “Why would we rest players for!?” but 20-21 days to get cherry ripe before a final would be beneficial for some of our list)

He's still not right IMO. I say rest him because it'll give him 2 weeks to get it right. We have nothing to play for so we may as well rest players who need it in time for finals.

Hooker and Fantasia probably need it the most.
Fair call.

Rest Hooker, Fantasia and Heppell. No risks going into finals. I'm not saying go full Ross Lyon but anybody with a niggle has a rest.

Out: Heppell (rest), Fantasia (rest), Zaharakis (inj)
In: Clarke, Begley, Mynott

Francis (WHE) - Zerk-Thatcher (Roughead) - Saad (Elliott)
McKenna (Varcoe) - Hurley (Mihocek) - Gleeson (Thomas)
Langford - Clarke (Treloar) - Ham
Begley (Crisp) - Brown (Madgen) - Parish (Greenwood)
Walla (Maynard) - McKernan (Scharenberg) - Stringer (Howe)
Clarke - Ambrose (Pendlebury) - Heppell
Shiel - Redman - McGrath - Merrett

All these people saying mass rests are needed - there is a week off after this game.
I'm far from saying mass rests, but why risk players who've been playing injured for all to see (understandable given it's Heppell, Fantasia) when you can give them two weeks off to make sure they're right for finals?

In:
D.Clarke
Myers
Laverde
Hartley

Out:
Zaharakis (inj)
Heppell (managed)
Fantasia (managed)
Francis (managed)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantasia was better this week, would be inclined to give him another game before the break.

Heppell definitely has a rest.

If Bellchambers doesn’t play, really concerned about him playing a final after 9 weeks out.

With Zaka out, Parish gets far more midfield time and Begley/Lav come in.

This game will be played between the ears for both clubs.

We have made finals, nothing to do this game.

Pies desperate for top 4.

I think Heppell probably does get rested because of the rising soreness factor. Maybe Fantasia too. But that's only because of their ongoing issues and a short break. For most of our players it would be way better preparation for finals if they play.

Bellchambers should play a VFL game if he's fit. Coming straight back from a long injury stint to play Grundy would dent his confidence big time. I'd actually have him play this week and the following week in the VFL and get him cherry ripe for finals but who knows what they will actually do. I sure don't want to go into the finals match with Clarke though.

So my ins and outs as an early guess:
Outs: Zaka (inj), Zerk, Heppell, Fantasia
Ins: Begley, Hooker, Laverde, Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back