2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think you ever feel totally comfortable unless your defending 400+ but I can’t see this deck getting too much better to bat on , in fact if anything Lyon will come right into the game tomorrow .
England have a thin lineup with out of form players against an attack right on top of their game .

300 minimum push to 320 plus and I think that’s plenty

The highest run chase at Headingly is 324. Post another 30-40 runs and I reckon we'll be fine. England would have to pull off a miracle to chase anything more than 310 down with their batting line-up and our bowling.
Those historic highest run chases are always potentially bad comparisons though when the chase starts halfway through day three rather than day four/five

The highest run chase at Headingly is 324. Post another 30-40 runs and I reckon we'll be fine. England would have to pull off a miracle to chase anything more than 310 down with their batting line-up and our bowling.

Would you trust this England team to chase anything more than 150? Australia in a rock solid position.

I’m Scottish and living in Australia so the capitulation is doubly sweet, but I’d be irate if I was an England fan. Selecting one day cricketers with poor decision making and even worse technique at test level is inexcusable, but even then the batting line up has plumbed new depths - Roy is an embarrassment. Root has over bowled his best bowler into an injury, and they’re getting smashed in all areas. Good times.

Great day , I got Labuschagne wrong big time he has been great

This bowling attack was brilliant

Thought paines captaincy was good shame his batting looks done
Still a long way to go for Lab, it’s just three innings, but he looks rock solid. Hopefully I’m as wrong about him as I was about Hayden and Smith.

Still another 70 runs for us to get us close to 350 would be invaluable.

Absolutely. I'd be as annoyed as the rest of you if we were to get bowled out cheaply the next day. :D

Having said that... as the English say, looks like It's coming home. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don’t give out 100s for a reason but if ever anyone deserves one he does .
Been courageous, resilient and everything we have been crying out for in our lineup .

Hopefully the tail can hang tough with him for a bit longer
The guy has guts. He'll never score a run a ball century, but he's the anchor our middle order needed.

Paine is a walking wicket. Can't carry the captain - especially an accidental captain who didn't earn it through his performances.
So who could be captain? I dont like a bowler as captain. Smith? Better off without it. Head? No certainty to be in the team long. Labuschange? Too new. Warner? ;)

Obligatory 'prove that the team batting 4th won't chase 300+' post

Someone raised a good point about chases starting day 3 vs day 4; so having a look through to see if that has made a difference.

Statsguru link

Chases over 400 - 4 in total, 1 which started day 3

Chases 300-350 - 6 in total, 0 which started day 3

Chases 300-350 - 21 in total, 4 started day 3, 4 started day 5, 1 started day 6!

So it may be slightly more likely if a chase starts earlier, but not really once the lead is 350.

Having said that, only once has a team that has chased down 300 scored less than 100 in the first innings - that was Australia (in South Africa in 1950) who managed just 75 but rolled RSA for 99 in the second dig. Otherwise, the lowest first inning score is 171 for NZ against Bangladesh.

Many scored 300+, some even 400+ in the first inning.

Don't underestimate his role as Captain.
Exactly .. its about the bottom line which is the team as a machine.. as much as Paine is struggling with the bat the team is better with him there than without atm .. likewise the net effectiveness of our bowling unit as a pack would be lessened with Starc in, despite his mercurial attributes..

Back