Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it's the next available pick that is affected & slides - so would be the 1st.

Not sure if this then means that a club has/hasn't used a 1st Round Pick in accordance with the AFL's rotating-rules policy of using 2 per 4yr period or whatever it is.

So, in this situation (where you owe points from previous draft) it would be smart to trade a 1st round pick (for a player or multiple later picks) rather than letting it slide.

Finn rated in the top 20 of the draft by Cal Twomey.

Pick 23 by the blokes at AFL Draft Central.

And if a club tries to take him about there we should get him. Only risk is if one club thinks he is a top 10 or close to it.

And if a club tries to take him about there we should get him. Only risk is if one club thinks he is a top 10 or close to it.

I have my fingers crossed that clubs will have at least some respect for each other in this regard.

Patrick Naish for the Tigers was similarly rated back in 2017, but fell to a pick in the 30s which would be more than ideal.

Very excited with the prospect of Finn. I'm liking the look of Ash and Young for the Hawks if they are still available. Ash for his speed and leadership and Young for his classy left foot. Both also seem flexible position wise.
I do hope we go to the draft with our first this year and not sure we should go in to deficit or trade up just to get Anderson or Rowell even though reports are they are standouts. Others might be just as good in the big time and cost less.
Ash, Finn and Cogs with some other role players is a big off season.
Not enamored with the idea of Patton unless he comes dirt cheap. I doubt his ability to stay on the park or actually excel in the current game. I also don't see he and Lewis in the same team balance wise. Don't forget Nash - he will be a very good player in time. That may not be until 2021, but i really rate his potential.

I have my fingers crossed that clubs will have at least some respect for each other in this regard.

Yep the scum have a terrific track record when it comes to respect.......But I take your point

AFL.com.au's draft guru ranks the best young footy talent in the land http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-08/cal-twomeys-2019-phantom-form-guide-august-update

Finn McGuiness is ranked 17 atm

23/2/01
187cm/80kg
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder

The hard-working and big-bodied midfielder should land at Hawthorn as a father-son pick, following in the steps of his dad Scott, who won two flags for the Hawks. Maginness showed his ability as a clearance-winner and ball-getter in the final game for Vic Metro, having also been a standout earlier in the season for the Sandringham Dragons. Has size and good game sense, and has also shown at different levels he can push forward to hit the scoreboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take him no matter what. I think the only ones in front of him are Rowel and Anderson and Green. We can always trade our first pick and accumulate points from other picks can’t we ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread name needs an update....its 2019

Anyway, maybe we should think about getting enough points to match bids on Connor Downiest in 2020.....kid could go top 5
We currently hold a full suite of 2020 Picks.

How much do you think he might cost?

Thread name needs an update....its 2019

Anyway, maybe we should think about getting enough points to match bids on Connor Downiest in 2020.....kid could go top 5

We can match him already, we just wouldn't get a pick for a long time afterwards.

We currently hold a full suite of 2020 Picks.

How much do you think he might cost?
On current trajectory, he's going top 10, but lots to play out in his draft year.

If he does go top 10 and we play deep in September, our first pick wouldn't be enough to match. We'd bite into our 2nd.

I'm sure the club is all over this, but keep this in mind during trade period this year. We won't be dishing out future picks so easily

On current trajectory, he's going top 10, but lots to play out in his draft year.

If he does go top 10 and we play deep in September, our first pick wouldn't be enough to match. We'd bite into our 2nd.

I'm sure the club is all over this, but keep this in mind during trade period this year. We won't be dishing out future picks so easily
I recall someone saying on here that this year's draft is the one to hit and so next year's picks may not be as important, as long as we can still gather enough (perhaps including 2021 picks) to secure Downie.

Actually this is the perfect opportunity to do it if you think about it...so what if we bit into or use all of our later picks. If we can get two bites at a cherry here (trade in established quality) and then get draft quality as well without having to use an early pick this puts us in a great position. I don't even care if we have to go into some sort of points deficit if we can achieve something like this.

Actually this is the perfect opportunity to do it if you think about it...so what if we bit into or use all of our later picks. If we can get two bites at a cherry here (trade in established quality) and then get draft quality as well without having to use an early pick this puts us in a great position. I don't even care if we have to go into some sort of points deficit if we can achieve something like this.
Think you're underestimating the point deficiency and how clubs want to avoid it. Don't think its been done.

Directly effects your first pick,...

I recall someone saying on here that this year's draft is the one to hit and so next year's picks may not be as important, as long as we can still gather enough (perhaps including 2021 picks) to secure Downie.

This year's draft isn't necessarily one to hit. It has two real stand out prospects (arguably 3, if you include Green who is a GWS academy lad), then there's a pack of similar level footballers for about 20 picks afterwards.

This year's draft isn't necessarily one to hit. It has two real stand out prospects (arguably 3, if you include Green who is a GWS academy lad), then there's a pack of similar level footballers for about 20 picks afterwards.
Just repeating what I remember reading. You may be right. I wouldn't know. Doesn't really matter much. Whatever we get is fine with me, whether that includes Mcguiness or not.

It includes Finn.

1. 25% discount
2. Matching where other clubs bid on him (likely a tiny bit later then his actual value)
3. Matching with later picks. (Early picks are really worth more then their ‘points value’, and later picks less)
4. Being able to use a pick to get ANOTHER player as good or better then Finn.

It makes too much sense if you have a high end F/S or academy player, to match bids for them.

Someone’s probably done the math, but you’d have to have a drastically different perception of a player’s value to not match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you 100% sure? I haven't seen anything that explains how it works.
Typical AFL to be vague so they can then change the rules on the run.

All i could find was this article

deficit will effect the pick where the bid came from. Not ideal for us with Downie touted as a first rounder pick and Finn could be there too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back