Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If I hear another “he’s just kicked a goal Richo, why is he running off the ground! Surely the coach keeps him on!” I will vomit.
Or....He just needs to aim it inside the right hand post....
Most of the population watching football now didnt see you play you washed up nuffy.
Does the guy realise he is now a joke?

Umpiring is more less always the same and never really costs you the game. What's killing the game is people bitching about umpiring. The statistics that get floated around with teams with a high % of frees over the last decade is a basic correlation of teams that have been successful and morons site this as evidence that these teams win because of frees. No they win because they are better and they get more frees because they are better with possession. But it wont matter we'll just keep having the constant crisis around umps and general foaming about it when your team loses.

Not true - the morons are the people who can't see that the WCE receive an above average number of free kicks for compared to against no matter where they finish on the ladder.

Extremely unpopular with one group of supporters...that Chris Scott is a whiner of the highest order.

The more he keeps going on about it, the greater the chance it will affect the psyche of the team.

Extremely unpopular with one group of supporters...that Chris Scott is a whiner of the highest order.

The more he keeps going on about it, the greater the chance it will affect the psyche of the team.
That you David King?

Umpiring is more less always the same and never really costs you the game. What's killing the game is people bitching about umpiring. The statistics that get floated around with teams with a high % of frees over the last decade is a basic correlation of teams that have been successful and morons site this as evidence that these teams win because of frees. No they win because they are better and they get more frees because they are better with possession. But it wont matter we'll just keep having the constant crisis around umps and general foaming about it when your team loses.

That is a bizarre assertion.

If the decisions of umpires do not advantage the receiver of a kick / disadvantage the other side... then what is the purpose of their application in making good the wrong caused by an infringement?

The point of a free kick is to disadvantage one side and advantage the other in order to discourage certain behaviours and ensure than unfair advantage does not prejudice a result. Every little bit of advantage or disadvantage accrued has an effect of making it more or less likely that you would win.

Close games can be won or lost by tiny alterations in effort, technique, strategy, fitness, size and ... some umpiring decisions. If free kicks don't alter the likelihood of winning or losing then they should be abolished entirely.

Where can I find the post that is your sig? I feel the need to give it a like.

Nah, the Gen Y still look like kids to me, Bartel, Dal Santo, Cooney, Riewoldt etc

These blokes are approaching their mid-30s, and actually played the modern game. I have no idea why we have this idea that people that played the game decades ago, in a completely different level of professionalism, are the people that should be analysing and commentating.

Most of them are well past it.

Where can I find the post that is your sig? I feel the need to give it a like.

A quote of it is here but the original is now deleted. :(

I prefer the evenness of this season over the years where 1 or 2 teams just dominated the entire competition. People point to the exhilarating football Geelong and Collingwood played in 2011 as to why current footy sucks by comparison, but a wobbly minor premier contains so much more intrigue.
Makes for a far more compelling finals series come September.

Also, I don't mind the bye week before finals starts. Despite there being a few fizzers here and there, I am WAY more geared up for the first final after having to wait almost 2 weeks for it.

This is a very fresh one, but a cap on how many players from each team can make the All Australian squad would be welcomed after 7 Eagles were named today. This isn't a swipe at West Coast or those players individually, but it it absolutely overkill when half of them will most likely be competing for the same position anyway.

I prefer the evenness of this season over the years where 1 or 2 teams just dominated the entire competition. People point to the exhilarating football Geelong and Collingwood played in 2011 as to why current footy sucks by comparison, but a wobbly minor premier contains so much more intrigue.
Makes for a far more compelling finals series come September.

Also, I don't mind the bye week before finals starts. Despite there being a few fizzers here and there, I am WAY more geared up for the first final after having to wait almost 2 weeks for it.

This is a very fresh one, but a cap on how many players from each team can make the All Australian squad would be welcomed after 7 Eagles were named today. This isn't a swipe at West Coast or those players individually, but it it absolutely overkill when half of them will most likely be competing for the same position anyway.
You could make a case for any of the top 7 sides to take it out this year, going to be an intriguing finals series.

Not true - the morons are the people who can't see that the WCE receive an above average number of free kicks for compared to against no matter where they finish on the ladder.

It's not a popular opinion. But this conspiracy theory stuff is just a total endless circle. There so many variables that go into winning a game and you want to focus on one and bang on about it endlessly. Get over it. West Coast have been a good team for a long time, so was Hawthorn - they get more frees because they are better at Football. If your team wants more frees they need to get better at that. With umpires we have a stupid confirmation bias - I personally hate sitting in the members area for Collingwood games because literally with the first free against us people start foaming rabidly - surely there is no other sport in the world 50% of the supporters energy goes into screaming about umpires and then moaning about endlessly afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was there in the 80s/90s and i can't recall any "the game has gone to s**t"whingers.
"the game has gone to s**t" is a 21st century opinion.

That's because we didn't have the internet back then.

For all it's advantages, the internet has created a massive culture of whinging and negativity.

Above average doesnt mean much. You do know that there is always going to be a team that has the best free kick differential in the AFL right? And there will always be a team that has had the best free kick differential over the last 5 years, or 10 or any number you like. Its a bit like saying someone who won lotto must be a cheat, because winning lotto is so unlikely it can only be explained by conspiracy.

It also might mean the Eagles train better than anyone else at avoiding frees, where some other teams are deliberately trying to push the boundaries as hard as possible, knowing that the trade off is, they give away a few more frees.

It's not a popular opinion. But this conspiracy theory stuff is just a total endless circle. There so many variables that go into winning a game and you want to focus on one and bang on about it endlessly. Get over it. West Coast have been a good team for a long time, so was Hawthorn - they get more frees because they are better at Football. If your team wants more frees they need to get better at that. With umpires we have a stupid confirmation bias - I personally hate sitting in the members area for Collingwood games because literally with the first free against us people start foaming rabidly - surely there is no other sport in the world 50% of the supporters energy goes into screaming about umpires and then moaning about endlessly afterwards.

Completely incorrect if you even bothered to go and take a brief look at the historical data.

Above average doesnt mean much. You do know that there is always going to be a team that has the best free kick differential in the AFL right? And there will always be a team that has had the best free kick differential over the last 5 years, or 10 or any number you like. Its a bit like saying someone who won lotto must be a cheat, because winning lotto is so unlikely it can only be explained by conspiracy.

It also might mean the Eagles train better than anyone else at avoiding frees, where some other teams are deliberately trying to push the boundaries as hard as possible, knowing that the trade off is, they give away a few more frees.

Yes there has to be someone - but no one with a basic knowledge of statistics that looks at the data could conclude that it is just random that West Coast tend to get a HUGE free kick advantage at home every year DESPITE there ladder positioning.

And what are the chances the Eagles are the only team that trains for free kicks - if that tactic was successful do you think not a single other team would have picked up on it?

Isn’t eagles free kick disparity a home game phenomenon attributable to umpires being intimidated by crowd? Not sure whether they enjoy a free kick advantage away
We like to put it down to a dominant ruck, dominant forwards and a non tackling, coralling game plan. We therefore don't give too many away and get a few more due to defenders panicking and oppo rucks getting creative in ruck contests. And this year where we've lost plenty of home free kick counts our rucks are just average and JK has been poor

I hate the bye before the finals.
That is because Geelong suck off the bye... lol nah just kidding I don't like it either because finishing top 4 and winning a qualifying final & having the week off used to be a lot bigger advantage, now with the pre-finals bye you are almost at disadvantage because you are so underdone you lose a lot of momentum.

If the Dogs, Giants or West Coast win the flag this year, I will go nuts on this topic about the AFL scraping pre-finals bye.

We like to put it down to a dominant ruck, dominant forwards and a non tackling, coralling game plan. We therefore don't give too many away and get a few more due to defenders panicking and oppo rucks getting creative in ruck contests. And this year where we've lost plenty of home free kick counts our rucks are just average and JK has been poor

So you have had that strategy for the last 15 years but ONLY when you play at home?

#seemslegit

That is because Geelong suck off the bye... lol nah just kidding I don't like it either because finishing top 4 and winning a qualifying final & having the week off used to be a lot bigger advantage, now with the pre-finals bye you are almost at disadvantage because you are so underdone you lose a lot of momentum.

If the Dogs, Giants or West Coast win the flag this year, I will go nuts on this topic about the AFL scraping pre-finals bye.

This is such a myth - if teams are worried about it why don't they just tank their qualifying final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back