Remove this Banner Ad

B:Tom Lonergan - Matthew Scarlett – Josh Hunt
HB: David Wojcinski - Harry Taylor – Corey Enright
C: Joel Selwood – Jimmy Bartel – Andrew Mackie
HF: Travis Varcoe – Tom Hawkins - Steve Johnson
F: James Kelly – James Podsiadly - Paul Chapman
Foll: Brad Ottens - Joel Corey – Cameron Ling
Int: Trent West, Mathew Stokes, Allen Christensen, Mitch Duncan

Before everyone blames Chris Scott heres the 2011 premiership team Compare it to the team you saw tonight

B:Tom Lonergan - Matthew Scarlett – Josh Hunt
HB: David Wojcinski - Harry Taylor – Corey Enright
C: Joel Selwood – Jimmy Bartel – Andrew Mackie
HF: Travis Varcoe – Tom Hawkins - Steve Johnson
F: James Kelly – James Podsiadly - Paul Chapman
Foll: Brad Ottens - Joel Corey – Cameron Ling
Int: Trent West, Mathew Stokes, Allen Christensen, Mitch Duncan

Before everyone blames Chris Scott heres the 2011 premiership team Compare it to the team you saw tonight

Lucky it didn't forecast rain (and then not rain) or else West and Ottens would have been late outs.

I would have liked one of the reporters last night to have asked Scott: "So... we have seen this performance before haven't we Chris?" just to see what the reaction would be.

I want him to appear on a hard-hitting show like Footy Classified with people who actually ask the tough questions. He gets fed too many softballs. Soon much of the stuff fans bemoan never gets brought up with him.

At least it's not us in s**t with the MRO after last night:

BRILLIANT Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy has been charged for striking Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield in the opening quarter of the Magpies' 10-point qualifying final win on Friday night.

Grundy can accept at $2000 fine with an early guilty plea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but the blame does not sit with the coach
our trades are woeful

people persist with parfitt's value, and to date he has not measured up to caddy
giving up on varcoe for a player with addiction and mental health issues was a joke
first round pick for henderson another
not picking up grundy and getting thurlow another
not trading sj for an early first round pick was a joke
downgrading an early pick for ablett, another joke
and then i can go on

coach prepares them, everyone raves about about scarlo etc
we miss blake c - a genuine decent forward coach
enright is a good bloke, but is he really the forward coach we need, i would be bringing in sj
I'd pay shitload for Carey, even though he is a turd

I agree. I do think we have a team capable of winning a flag currently but the way the team is coached and the culture of mediocrity that Scott has brought back to the club is the real problem. I have never been anti-scott before, but more and more this year I feel his arrogance and stubbornness to stick to something that just isn't working anymore is dragging this team down. Geelong should never have resigned him for such a long extension, it was a silly decision based on the back slapping and bulls**t that surrounds Scott and the board. Scott has said numerous times on AFL360 he thinks the win/loss focus used to judge coaches is wrong, deflecting from his poor finals records no doubt. Scott has created a team capable of making the top 8, God with the talent in this side I could do that. But there it stops.

The finals aren't over yet, and the Cats might take this loss as the kick they need. I'll wait and see how they respond next week but I'm so not confident.

Last nights loss keeps up the win/loss/win/loss record since the bye. Win to Carlton, Loss to Pies... so maybe that means we'll win against the eagles, but loose in the prelim. Sigh.
Spoton agree with all of this. Too much hubris and it comes from the top. I have dealt with Cookie and know a few on the Board. Time for change.

Some more thoughts ...(or Part 2)

If you have recovered from reading my long post from before, I thought of some more things to say. This is about the GFC in general. Now, this doesn't affect us losing, but it is a few things that bug me.

1) Our president is "The Invisible Man". I used to love seeing Frank Costa on TV. He was always there, spruiking our Cats. Unlike Eddie or Jeff, he wasn't making it about him, or his ego. He did this to better the club.

I wouldn't know what our current president, Colin Carter, looks like if he stood up in my cornflakes. We never hear from him, or see him.

You see, the thing with Frank is, he made decisions, and I feel he would have owned decisions if they didn't pay off. For example, if he had kept Bomber, and we still didn't win flags, then I think Costa would have put his hand up and took responsibility, since it was HIS vote that was the deciding one to keep Bomber.

But we don't know if our current president will take responsiblity or not for decisions made. We don't hear him promote the club. If we had Eddie as president, he, not the coach, would have banged on about finals at home. Carter should have pushed the "finals at home" barrow, instead of leaving it to the coach.

Also, Frank Costa seemed more engaged with the running of the club and in the coaching. We saw what he was doing.

I would love if the club offered Frank Costa a spot on the board, as his wisdom and foresight would be invaluable, and he loves the club.

2) Our CEO, Brian Cook.

Now, Brian Cook did a helluva lot right during our golden era. He was great partnered with Costa, and his review turned the club around.

But, these days, Brian Cook seems to have his mind fully focused on GMHBA Stadium. Now, I have pushed the "home finals" barrow. Actually, it annoys me Cook's obsession with the ground.

I live in Melbourne, and can rarely get to games in Geelong (due to work, life etc). I feel that the club's recent tone is that supporters who live outside the city of Geelong don't matter.

I read a few years' ago that 49% of Geelong supporters live outside of Geelong. Yet the club seems to want to play all its home games there, not considering anyone who doesn't live in the area.

Why I banged on about the home finals is to point out Gil's hypocrisy about GWS, and how the rules don't apply to them. I can't wait until the day GWS are to host a final against Richmond or Collingwood, and see if it is moved to the SCG or Homebush. I mean, if capacity is the reason....

I resent having to pay more for my membership than any other club has to, to fund stands that I rarely sit in. Make it "user pays" and add the price to reserved seats at the ground or to ticket prices at the ground. Don't slug me for something I might not use, in a plan to cut people like me out of going to games.

Personally, selfishly, I would prefer every one of our home games at either MCG or Marvel. But for the club to survive, it needs to cater to its area.

But what Cook also doesn't realise is that, all this is futile. We will NEVER get home finals, EVER. It is a waste of time, because it has NOTHING to do with capacity, and everything to do with an AFL agenda and the influence of the bigger clubs and the media on Gil. The reasons we don't get home finals is political, pure and simple.

I would have preferred if the renovation included extending the playing surface, to make it the dimensions of the MCG. Do you want to know why WCE win on the 'G? Because they moved to a ground with the same dimensions, so it is like we are playing the 'G each week.

We should have done that. We should have rejigged the ground to make it like the 'G, so that we get used to playing there. If we want to win finals, we need to learn to play the 'G, so this would have given them an advantage. I would like this, rather than facilites for a Geelong A-League team or a Geelong Big Bash team (why are we giving other sports a leg-up)?

I covered the coach and the players in my previous post.

My final call-out is to our "culture". We have always had a culture problem, where, no matter how bad the loss, players come back to Geelong and are treated like Hollywood stars.

We always had a culture of "near enough is good enough", until 2007, when Paul Chapman pulled his best Peter Finch impression and said "I'm as mad as hell, and I am not going to take it anymore!".

The buy-in of the players wanting to turn things around, to change the culture, took us from also-rans to champs, and it was player-driven.

We need to do that again. There are only four players left on our list from that era, so we need to do it again. Be honest, put the acid on each other, buy-in, decide that close enough in finals isn't good enough anymore. This is on the players to drive. Bomber didn't drive it then, and CS won't drive it now. The players need to get better. These losses need to HURT them. They need to want to be premiership heroes, and do whatever it takes (within reason) to do it. Train harder, work harder, be honest and change those things that need to be changed. Maybe we need Leading Teams again.

The biggest change the club needs is a mindset change. To strive for better. Frank Costa "preached it". We need to do that again. What other choice do we have?
In an earlier post I said that to Cook and Fox it was strongly and logically suggested that they change the size of the ground to match the MCG before the renos started. They did not think it was better value than having a boutique ground so did not even consider it. How do I know? I was there.

I'll admit I was critical at the end of last year and had few expectations for this year. Then when we played so well at the start of the year, I tried to keep it in check but my hopes raised despite memories of recent dismal finals efforts.

The wheels have well and truly fallen off since the Port game. The same fundamental problems remain from previous years.

Those who remained sceptical all year can congratulate themselves. You were right, it seems.
I've got to admit to this as well. I thought we'd come 8th at the beginning of the season. Against my better judgement I got my hopes up and feel like a bloody idiot for doing so. The way we're playing now is about my initial expectation. I'm mostly upset about how ugly our game is now.

I would have preferred if the renovation included extending the playing surface, to make it the dimensions of the MCG. Do you want to know why WCE win on the 'G? Because they moved to a ground with the same dimensions, so it is like we are playing the 'G each week.

We should have done that. We should have rejigged the ground to make it like the 'G, so that we get used to playing there. If we want to win finals, we need to learn to play the 'G, so this would have given them an advantage. I would like this, rather than facilites for a Geelong A-League team or a Geelong Big Bash team (why are we giving other sports a leg-up)?

There's actually still a bit of difference between Optus Oval & the MCG in terms of size - Optus oval is longer & narrower; closer than ours but not the same dimensions.

Field of play dimensions will be 165m along the east-west axis and 130m on the north-south axis. The MCG, is 160m x 141m.

Still not sure how it would have worked reconfiguring KP to same dimensions - would have need to get State & Federal funding to knock the stadium down, start from scratch and do it all in one hit; and how would that have impacted the other ovals & facilities within the precinct?

That is my whole point, ever since we won the 2011 flag. We have not and never will replace the quality we have progressively lost, with only Hawkins, Selwood, GAJ, Taylor- all fading and Duncan- a B grader, left. Simply, we are an ordinary team with a superstar in Danger, and a fading superstar in GAJ. Even our superstar Danger has been known to display ordinary kicking skills. We manage to make the 8 more than we probably should, but the second half year I believe reflects what we are more like.
Maybe but again, finals footy is littered with middling players who perform on the big occasions. I can see no obvious reason why our players can’t perform. It’s not like richmond’s etc bottom 6 are so superior to ours is it? I can’t understand why we consistently underperform. I can’t understand why kolo- who last year, and in the first half of this season was becoming a very reliable, strong defender and now he is making school boy mistakes that are so costly. Why has he gone downhill? And Hawkins? What’s going on? Excuses are not explaining enough of our failings now.
I felt ok about this game all week but as soon as the Stanley rumour emerged, I was concerned because it was so stupid- to take away a strength from our backline for a silly ruck issue. And we had to go with Stanley- bleedingly obvious. It’s like Scott panicked.

Can someone more knowledgeable of the AFLs rules please answer this for me: when Scott mentioned in the pre-game telecast that they'd misjudged the weather and erred in leaving out Stanley, did they still have time to reverse that change and bring Stanley back into the side?
Yes. It was raised on K Rock. We'd have copped a fine.

How good was Ablett ?

A Carlton fan trying to troll Geelong is up there with the saddest things in football.

Hope your team wins 10 games in a season sometime in your lifetime.

This whole home ground debate, it perplexes me. And I’ll tell you why in very simple terms. To win a flag, the AFL should be able to roll out a patch of grass on the moon and stick 8 lamp posts in the ground. The best team will win. To carry on and throw the toys out year on year about not playing at home, seriously something that people need to get over. And by people, this means starting with Chris Scott. Never been a fan of his, and the fact he inherited a premiership team early on his coaching career, and since then, well, I don’t think I need to go on with that one. Grass and post codes don’t win flags. Teams do. There’s a reason Geelong have been cooked for years now, and living in Geelong my whole life being a front seat witness to the mindset of some, it’s moments like last night I remember. Trust me I’m not worried as a Pies fan. If the pies go out, I will still be happy for what we have delivered this year. But for now, I have another prelim to get excited about. I hope the Cats make it to the big dance. The only thing sweeter from this point will be to pants the Cats again when it really matters. 👌 🏆

You need better punctuation, and to break up your sentences and argument with white space.

Are you a NAPLAN zero score kid ?

You need better punctuation, and to break up your sentences and argument with white space.

Are you a NAPLAN zero score kid ?

Most Pies fans have already dropped out of school by the time NAPLAN rolls around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back