Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We gave it a good shake but

Hawkins
SDK
Stewart
Stengle

all injured in game and you just cant cover that.

WE did good for 3/4 and the run just wasnt there.

Credit to the Pies for getting it done.

Sav - even with a few clangers, has been the discovery that will seem to bare fruit.

Hopefully its only a few weeks for the injured players but im being very optimistic.

Given also the teams in the GF are usually underdone start of the next year we were true to form there.

Long year to go...

GO CAtters

Don't have the legs at this stage of this season, the signs were there with the fair few red time goals in each quarter we gave up before finally hitting the wall. That'll improve over the course of the season like last year I think.

Ratugolea's game as a whole was promising, more so considering of our premiership backline we were without Henry, Kolo & Stewart, and De Koning was hobbled early too. Definitely worth persisting with.

Essentially lost our 3 most important structural players to injuries, sure SDK and Hawkins ran out the game but you're kidding yourself if you think they weren't severely hampered.
Injuries, came into the game with some keys missing and against a team with a mission to win (like it changes the Finals....) and we did ok.
Clearance work was terrible all night, let their midfielders get first use time after time without any desire to change it up.
Ollie was good, aside from a boneheaded goal line brain fade, Sav was good outside a few questionable decisions early and I thought Bruhn cracked in constantly throughout the night.
We looked clinical at times with the ball, but lacked the run and injuries compounded it.
I'm not concerned that's for sure.

As good a time as any to drop a game to the Pies, they’ll be ecstatic but we were underdone and a few guys need to probably be looked at in terms of where the improvement is coming from in the coming weeks. Certainly not throwing the baby out with the bath water on this effort.

Really fun game with a lot of interesting storylines. Sucks losing to the pies but it's round 1 and the infirmary was full.

Fingers crossed we can have a team near full strength when we come up against Sydney in a month.

Danger was definitely the right choice as captain.

... Right?

Last edited:
Just bank it in the memory bank and get them back later in the year , everything went wrong tonight and we still nearly won it

Lost a lot of respect for the pies tonight I forgotten how bad they are , they just focused on hurting the players instead of playing the game

w***ers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see that the Pies saw a glaring problem (clearances and contested ball) and got Mitchell for minimum chips, he’s a big difference makers, we’ve lost our captain courageous, there is something we need to find to try and get that level of intensity back.

Credit to Collingwood. They were the better team tonight. I felt like they performed at their very best, yet we were a fair way off. Injuries played a significant impact… we were cooked by 3/4 time and faded badly. It’s only round 1 but we need to be prepared for teams hunting us down. The only real positive was Sav.

Main concern going in was conditioning, injuries made it worse.

Dangerfield 62% game time, Bruhn 64% game time. Still weren't able to get Parfitt onto the ground.

Going to go back to possession football would help. It works better with the players we have not the once we want.

Not too worried about the loss in isolation. It was going to be a tough assignment and with the injuries we just ran out of legs.

We just need to grit our teeth and get through the first month about even. It’s going to mean winning ugly at least a couple of times in games like tonight’s. That will mean some unconventional positional moves and making a better go of it. To be four goals up a couple of times and let them back in late in quarters was pretty poor. Let’s hope it was early season malaise.

Injuries killed us, as did letting them have a spare at the stoppage. And what has happened to Close? Looks a shell of the player he was last year.
Yes that will be in the headlines, nothing about the fact we were way ahead when they were actually getting more of the play = better system. We ran out of gas and a few were down but we will improve. I think our best still beats the Pies

Just bank it in the memory bank and get them back later in the year , everything went wrong tonight and we still nearly won it

Lost a lot of respect for the pies tonight I forgotten how bad they are , they just focused on hurting the players instead of playing the game

w***ers
Every thing went wrong....16.1 at one stage....wow

Cataholic my point about Parfitt is that while we are depleted we may still rely on him. And he didn't give us anything. But it's hard to pick a winning midfielder from the side tonight and the way they got that onslaught of goals reflects that.

Pies got a huge amount from their new inclusions and sub (5 goals for starters). O.Henry had his moments and Bruhn's first quarter was good. But those two with Parfitt collectively didn't have too much influence. However the more concerning part was what the more experienced batch gave us. after Tuohy's hot start he didn't have a good game. Dangerfield, Blicavs and C.Guthrie struggled big time. Not many stood up especially late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back