News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he allowed to train at the club?
Think he will blow up if left on his own.
I mean he got fat during the short time he was injured this year.
So 18mths on the sidelines could mean another 12 mths getting back into shape.

Is he allowed to train at the club?
Think he will blow up if left on his own.
I mean he got fat during the short time he was injured this year.
So 18mths on the sidelines could mean another 12 mths getting back into shape.

He is allowed to train with the club while provisionally suspend. Would expect that the club asks him to attend pre season training and will probably put something in place for him to help him stay in shape.

Lots of sand running on Tiwi Islands might do the trick.

Was this after that horrible interview where nisbett made up the golf thing? Because in fairness, that was kinda weak
We went on to win a flag in less than 2 months after that headline, with the club receiving wide praise from all quarters on how strong the culture is.

That headline is tabloid trash that should be enough to ruin a journo's career. Journos bemoan the effect of social media on the standards of their industry, yet fail to accept that they were the ones who lowered their standards to the point that punters dont differentiate between the two mediums.

Duffield needs to pull his socks up, big time.

18 months is high side.

Whitfield ran away. I don't think he had his blood tested either. ASADA could never be sure he wasn't a PED cheat but accepted his version he was a meth user (i believe this was confirmed through txt messages on his phone).

Willie didn't use a fake peen or even try to be dishonest about it. And he did have a blood test that shows he's not a drug cheat. In hindsight, the Club should have had someone there for him (although that doesn't excuse his actions).

There's a precedent with Whitfield who only got 6 months for arguably a worse offence. On top of that there's some extra mitigating factors.

6 months is just and in line with previous cases
12 months is at the high side of fair (or 18 months, allowed to train at club in 12)
18 months is getting slammed
Anything over that and you'd think he'd have to lodge an appeal.

An appeal against an ASADA/WADA sanction (a sanction which the AFL would be required to implement), would I think ultimately have to be lodged at the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS), which is nowadays nominally separate from the International Olympic Committee, although quite happily still based in the same small Swiss city of Lausanne:) The CAS is basically a private arbitration system, which does not properly respect the rights of athletes. The CAS has in the past decided to sanction athletes on flimsy grounds, effectively on the basis that the occasional dodgy conviction of an athlete is acceptable because the 'integrity' of the WADA system overrides athletes' basic rights. Appeals against a CAS decision are decided by the Swiss Supreme Court (Bundesgericht), which has shown extreme reticence to overturn WADA/CAS decisions.
Sadly, "The law is an ass". The onus is ultimately on the AFL to ensure justice for an athlete who is innocent of doping on current information.
Anti-doping is obviously crucial to the world of sport, but if the people who run that system impose an unreasonable sanction on an innocent athlete, then I hope their balls turn into bicycles and backpedal up their arseholes, as a minimum.

We went on to win a flag in less than 2 months after that headline, with the club receiving wide praise from all quarters on how strong the culture is.

That headline is tabloid trash that should be enough to ruin a journo's career. Journos bemoan the effect of social media on the standards of their industry, yet fail to accept that they were the ones who lowered their standards to the point that punters dont differentiate between the two mediums.

Duffield needs to pull his socks up, big time.
I don't remember the content of the article, but the editor creates the headline not Duffield

I worry about a scenario where he gets 3-6 months and misses very little football. The goodwill from Melbourne media and opposition clubs could dry up if they feel he got off too lightly and we could end up with another Goodes situation on our hands :(

I think you mean Jobe Watson who got a fair bit of anger from the crowd..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Journos bemoan the effect of social media on the standards of their industry, yet fail to accept that they were the ones who lowered their standards to the point that punters dont differentiate between the two media.

And in the next instant the main page on their website runs ‘stories’ about last nights edition of reality TV.

An issue particularly relevant to The West and Sunday Times.

Guys, 18 months would be a blessing at this point.

Those eggs at ASADA don’t muck around. Even if he got less they won’t even hear the case until most of the way through next year, meaning he almost certainly won’t play next season.

The club would jump at 18 months I’m sure.
The AFL set the penalties, ASADA would only get involved if they thought the penalty wasn't sufficient as in the Essendon case.

His work with WA U 18’s is very good and he has them playing a good brand of footy at high intensity..
But the media side needs work for Suma ..

I see a vague diffenence between bein an AFL head coach with the wide responsibilities it entails and coaching a select group of kids over a short period who are highly motivated to do whatever they are told.

Sumich stated it was a pathway to understand modern generational needs better. he has clealy failed.

I see a vague diffenence between bein an AFL head coach with the wide responsibilities it entails and coaching a select group of kids over a short period who are highly motivated to do whatever they are told.

Sumich stated it was a pathway to understand modern generational needs better. he has clealy failed.

He hasn’t failed because of one rash comment and he did say he was misquoted and taken out of context ..

I find it hard to believe that the information that Willy's ban will be 4 years or two years.
Now if a proven cocaine user's in a match day test (Sam Murray) legal team can negotiate a test from 4 years to 18 months, the information that ASADA doesn't have in its code to reduce the bans is flawed.
Also, Lachie Whitlfield was shown and admitted to being a regular user of meth, hense why he avoided a test and hid away from his regular place of residence.
He was still investigated by ASADA and it seems to me that the AFL has the ability, to hand down significantly reduced bans, with aggreence from ASADA.

Not being allowed to train with the club over next year's off-season would not be a great start to 2021.

I guess that's the benefit of having a drawn out investigation & trial - excruciating for us not knowing - but means he gets to train with the team, get a routine, get himself in a better mental place, and keeps him fit for as long as possible.

Gives us time to prepare & set him up with an independent training regime that will work for however long he's officially banned for.

He hasn’t failed because of one rash comment and he did say he was misquoted and taken out of context ..

I question your numeracy and study of history.

Recall his juvenial comments as far back as when he lost out to Simmo as the eagles coach. He is a clown of the highest order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back