List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He is a ball magnet, his main strength is his consistency, even when tagged he still gets a fair bit of the ball. He has only had 6 games for the year he has had fewer than 30 disposals and those games were 27, 28, 28, 29, 29 and 29.

If we are going to be critical of Ziebell's hacking the ball forward then we have to take into consideration Gaff isn't a whole lot better in that regard, he also doesn't do much scoreboard damage himself. He was good in the SF but he kicked 3.1 this year. Not sure I would want to be stuck with a huge expensive contract for a mid who wasn't damaging on the scoreboard because we don't have the damaging players around us like we used to with Boomer and Wells to justify it.
I think he would complement Polec nicely. Both have class, but Polec will do more scoreboard damage while Gaff would get more ball. But we may well be wasting our time, as there is no indication this is likely to happen.

Little hypothetical question here.

If North acquired Toby Greene for a reasonable trade, how would you feel?

Personally, I think he is a superstar player, with a real hot head, hence the interesting tribunal history. Would North be able to clean up his attitude, and get him to focus on his game? One player who springs to mind is Jarrad Waite, who previously had a terrible suspension history, however for the most part, we got the best out of him. I know people are gonna mock this concept, but I figured it would be a fun hypothetical scenario.
He wouldn't need to change. Keep the mongrel and arrogance. He's the type of player everyone hates but wants at their club.

We don't need wingman. We need centre square midfielders who run both ways.
Absolutely agree with that sentiment. However... If we can recruit all Australian calibre players then you do it and make room for them - I'm sure frog could spend more time in the middle if need be. Gaff is a perfect link, allows us another exit strategy rather than the old long bomb down the line.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely agree with that sentiment. However... If we can recruit all Australian calibre players then you do it and make room for them - I'm sure frog could spend more time in the middle if need be. Gaff is a perfect link, allows us another exit strategy rather than the old long bomb down the line.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If those supposed rumors are true I'd happily have him on our list for pick 7.

It just won't fix our biggest issue at the moment.

We don't need wingman. We need centre square midfielders who run both ways.

40% Center bounce attendance this year and without knowing I'd guess more than 50% of his possessions in the back half.
He runs both ways, doesn't get into defensive situations but always provides an outlet pass or handball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he would complement Polec nicely. Both have class, but Polec will do more scoreboard damage while Gaff would get more ball. But we may well be wasting our time, as there is no indication this is likely to happen.

I think we have different definitions of class, he is definitely a decent footballer but I think he is overrated somewhat in that he goes long way too much and doesn't hit up forwards on the lead as much as he should. He had 86 inside 50s this year for 8 goal assists which puts it at 10.75 inside 50s per goal, the worst Sam Gibson went in his career in terms of a full season was 10.0 I50s per goal and in his last year with us he went I50 48 times for 12 goal assists (4.0 I50 per goal) and I don't think he would have been classified as a classy player.

Players who bang it long inside 50 do not hit targets and we don't derive the same value as a player who is able to launch attacks from a closer range and hit up a forward in a good position. It took some time for Gibson to learn that or be instructed to do it. Statistically speaking, Gibson 2017 vs Polec 2019 are around on par, he played a more defensive role in 2017 so kicked fewer goals himself, but there was a big difference between 2016 Gibson vs 2017 Gibson, the 2017 version of Gibson was a far superior player because he played much smarter. I am not sure if people realise we went for a similar player to the old Gibson or Anthony who got a fair bit of the ball, gained a lot of meters but didn't give us that consistent level of improvement because when you hack it forward it is unpredictable, sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't.

I do not think it is something you can build a premiership around, you need to have a consistent functional system where we actively try to retain the ball while moving it quickly and looking for the best option up forward, we commit to the long kick well before even determining if it's to our advantage to do so or not, quite often it isn't. We need smarter players and we need to be better drilled, Gibson had a lot of fantastic attributes we didn't take advantage of until too late.

We moved the footy quickly vs Port but we weren't hacking it long every kick, it was moved quickly via workrate and we were able to put it to the advantage of forwards due to that speed of movement. We played smarter that game and it shouldn't be lost on us that Port didn't see it coming, they were expecting us to hack the ball long up the boundary.

Last edited:
I think we have different definitions of class, he is definitely a decent footballer but I think he is overrated somewhat in that he goes long way too much and doesn't hit up forwards on the lead as much as he should. He had 86 inside 50s this year for 8 goal assists which puts it at 10.75 inside 50s per goal, the worst Sam Gibson went in his career in terms of a full season was 10.0 I50s per goal and in his last year with us he went I50 48 times for 12 goal assists (4.0 I50 per goal) and I don't think he would have been classified as a classy player.

Players who bang it long inside 50 do not hit targets and we don't derive the same value as a player who is able to launch attacks from a closer range and hit up a forward in a good position. It took some time for Gibson to learn that or be instructed to do it. Statistically speaking, Gibson 2017 vs Polec 2019 are around on par, he played a more defensive role in 2017 so kicked fewer goals himself, but there was a big difference between 2016 Gibson vs 2017 Gibson, the 2017 version of Gibson was a far superior player because he played much smarter. I am not sure if people realise we went for a similar player to the old Gibson or Anthony who got a fair bit of the ball, gained a lot of meters but didn't give us that consistent level of improvement because when you hack it forward it is unpredictable, sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't.

I do not think it is something you can build a premiership around, you need to have a consistent functional system where we actively try to retain the ball while moving it quickly and looking for the best option up forward, we commit to the long kick well before even determining if it's too our advantage to do so or not, quite often it isn't. We need smarter players and we need to be better drilled, Gibson had a lot of fantastic attributes we didn't take advantage of until too late.
Sam Gibson had rubbish disposal. Polec not so much, Polly racks up his turnovers by trying longer more difficult targets, doesnt miss the bread and butter ones whilst gibbo would miss 20m short passes. Polec is a massive upgrade on Gibson, no doubt whatsoever. Literally chalk and cheese

Last edited:
Personally have no interest in either Howard or Frost. If it was not for all the media talk of them linked to the NMFC half of the posters would not even know what clubs they played for but believe they would be a good get for us. Obviously if either come to us i hope i am proven completely wrong and i will be the first to put up my hand and say i got it wrong.

Sam Gibson had rubbish disposal. Polec not so much, Polly racks up his turnovers by trying longer more difficult targets, doesnt miss the bread and butter ones whilst gibbo would miss 20m short passes. Polec is a massive upgrade on Gibson, no doubt whatsoever. Literally chalk and cheese

Polec had a disposal efficiency of 68% and he has a higher uncontested possession ratio, Gibson's DE wasn't that low and got marginally more contested ball.

I think people had a neurotically low opinion of Gibson based on how he played earlier on in his career. Everyone at the NMFC misses 20m disposals, even our best users of the ball.

I'm not bagging Polec, he is what he is. People realised Port were only asking for a 2nd round pick equivalent for him, he is a good solid player and he excelled at the metrics we valued in him at Port. He is capable of doing better but doesn't actively play in a manner that gets the most out of his ability, we saw him hit some amazing passes to forwards around the 30m range of kick but the vast majority of his kicking inside 50 is from a long way out and it is why we get an inconsistent outcome from his efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back