Opinion Pendles and Steele are Past Their Prime

Remove this Banner Ad

April. Unless we lose a couple of early season games.

Well definitely no positive hopeful threads coming from the draft.
(Unless we heaven forbid lose Grundy to Radelaide but that comes with a whole host of negatives.)

So until we start getting Jordan Degoey is training the house down and posting pb's on the running track and in the gym. We may be licking our wounds for a while.

Like De boer, he's playing a negating role. Thus should be judged on his defensive impact, which waa solid.
Who or what did he negate? It looked like the giants mids were allowed to do what they please for the whole game.

Pendlebury's prime was 2011-13 when he was the third best player in the league

It's amazing that people have an issue with suggesting we find players capable of taking the pressure off him.

They seem to think he's 26 or 28 yo. Not 31 going on 32 next year.

Having a beast impact mid come into our mid rotations has a massive flow on effect to all the other mids.

I think the club really misread the list post season. Bringing in an ageing player like Beams (who isn’t quick) and losing our 2019 1st round pick.
It was evident last year that we needed to improve our midfield, as it was the area we lost the GF.

A fit Beams was exactly what we needed today, a big body with great hands who could win the contest and get us going.

Oh well s**t happens.

Not sure they are past there prime. Pendles did go AA this year after all.

But Sidey had a poor year compared to last, and just like in the GF last year, he went missing yet again when it mattered.

Pendles again went missing yesterday until the 4th quarter, and failed during the GF last year.

But if we want to take digs at them, I'd look around the ground. Phillips has been generally poor this year and was horrible yesterday. Treloar is one of the most overrated, downhill skiers in the comp.

Beams was a bust. Maybe next year he turns it around, but seems unlikely.

Adams missed a fair chunk of footy this year, but was passable.

All in all, our super awesome midfield group as a whole has been pretty ordinary this year to be honest.

I am not saying they will Retire but I am saying we can no longer Rely on them as there not Consistently Good like they use to be.

They still have Moments of Brilliance but they can go missing at Times.

Like tonight Steele had little Impact and Pendles had a Few Flashes.

We have to find some new Dominant Mids to be our Best Mid.

De Goey has that Potential but Struggling to think who else can get to that Level?

Then Pendles and Steele can have Cameos with those new Top Mids
Probably about time others stepped up.

It was evident last year that we needed to improve our midfield, as it was the area we lost the GF.

A fit Beams was exactly what we needed today, a big body with great hands who could win the contest and get us going.

Oh well s**t happens.

Midfield and forward line were both issues. I don't agree that Beams adressed the midfield weakness in fact he adds a lot of what our mids already provide.

Imo we should of made a play for the more explosive Dylan Shiel.

Not sure they are past there prime. Pendles did go AA this year after all.

But Sidey had a poor year compared to last, and just like in the GF last year, he went missing yet again when it mattered.

Pendles again went missing yesterday until the 4th quarter, and failed during the GF last year.

But if we want to take digs at them, I'd look around the ground. Phillips has been generally poor this year and was horrible yesterday. Treloar is one of the most overrated, downhill skiers in the comp.

Beams was a bust. Maybe next year he turns it around, but seems unlikely.

Adams missed a fair chunk of footy this year, but was passable.

All in all, our super awesome midfield group as a whole has been pretty ordinary this year to be honest.

Imo Pendles AA was questionable and was largely off the back of his late season form.

His start and mid season were not of AA quality and were up and down week to week.

Had a lot of low 20s games mixed in with his 30s games. Definitely reduced impact in many of them too.

We can't expect him to continue to carry this mid grp. Yes he is still capable of playing excellent footy but the time is right for younger mids to step up and take over the mantle. Free Pendles up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sier and Tyler Brown are the two guys I hope break through next year.

I like Tyler Brown think he has a Huge Future but I am not Sold Sier has the WANT to make it

But he doesn't shut down players they still rack it up vs him. He's completely different from deboer who does genuine tag jobs.

Deboer is also cleaner when he does get it.
It's a different kind of defensive role. It's the midfield equivalent of Maxwell's general contest killing, versus Tooveys tight checking. He's not much chop, but I'm convinced his addition made us better. Before he came into the team we were getting physically pushed around on the inside and he helped address that.

It's a different kind of defensive role. It's the midfield equivalent of Maxwell's general contest killing, versus Tooveys tight checking. He's not much chop, but I'm convinced his addition made us better. Before he came into the team we were getting physically pushed around on the inside and he helped address that.

Yeah he helped address that but too many other parts of his game falls down under scrutiny.

Imo we have other players who could do a better overall job.

Another thing people need to realise is you can be physical in a contest without being an uber defensive type.
Like a Degoey who can run through the pack get first hands or split the traffic opening space as he draws the opposition mids and contact with them often skitling them.

If we were Hawthorn (ruthless/successful) - Steele Sidebottom would be on the trade table.

He could hold the key to us securing a decent pick/forward in the next 12-18 months.
No way

Yeah he helped address that but too many other parts of his game falls down under scrutiny.

Imo we have other players who could do a better overall job.

Another thing people need to realise is you can be physical in a contest without being an uber defensive type.
Like a Degoey who can run through the pack get first hands or split the traffic opening space as he draws the opposition mids and contact with them often skitling them.
Agree with that. But Degoey was imjured. Sier needs to learn to not be so flat footed and actually use his size and strength and they weren't willing to rob the defence and give Maynard a chance. He was the best we had and did ok.

Agree with that. But Degoey was imjured. Sier needs to learn to not be so flat footed and actually use his size and strength and they weren't willing to rob the defence and give Maynard a chance. He was the best we had and did ok.

Sier needs to learn to take Footy More Seriously

To be fair Wills still did his job today - 16 disposals (7 contested), 12 tackles, 5 clearances, 83% DE in what the AFL website claims is 54% TOG.

3 kicks only...all his touches were virtually garbage.

He spends 54% TOG which means he has no other strings to his bow to be able to play elsewhere which pretty much renders him useless.

He also spends more time on the ground when his opponents were keeping their feet yesterday.
Not on the move enough through traffic either—-feet stuck in concrete.

Very interesting observation. I have noticed the same thing. When Saad gets it, a player can be breathing down his neck and he simply switches on the back burners and leaves them clutching at thin air. Stevo doesn't do that. There was a moment in the last term when Sidey floated a handpass to him in front of the members stand and Stevo ran onto it but was immediately tackled and wrapped up. Ricky Barham is another who used to take off and leave blokes behind him. I have observed the same with Stevo's chasing. He rarely runs down players from behind in the way Cyril Rioli and many others have done.

His top end speed is good but he does not yet have the power in his legs and core to accelerate to that top speed quickly.

This is also the reason who he gets pushed off his line so easily in a race to the ball - doesn'r currently have the ability to absorb contact or juke an opponent off balance.

This will all come with time (and a few preseasons)...

I think we need to make some hard decisions.

Grundy wants to go home. He showed yesterday his dominance is pretty much meaningless if our midfield is not able to handle finals pressure.

I think we should trade Grundy and look to trade 2 others who cant stand final pressure - Sidebottom and Treloar. They will not win us a flag.

We have to bite the bullet and start the rebuild now. The current midfield cant handle pressure. - down hill skiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back