Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah did them a favor taking the best player in the comp off there hands so nice of you
Go educate yourself on the deal.

If we didn’t trade for him then Adelaide would’ve got worse compensation through the FA system. He was leaving regardless, we could’ve got him without giving up anything.

So yes, we did them a favour.

West Coasters note that you are his preference, but his desire is to get to WA for family reasons. If you can't do a deal he will go to Freo. He will NOT go into the draft so don't waste our time on that one either. So its simple, (I think you are short in relation to picks), lets talk pick 14 and an A grade player then, or I think you will miss the boat (dragging out trying to trade for a lower pick when we could just cut a deal with Freo after a 'reasonable time). Why not be prepared to do say Gaff and 14 or Allen and 14 ? If its Brander or Petracelle then I think it will need to be 14 and another pick say next years second rounder, as well. No need to get all worked up, like I said, he's going to WA, you can do the deal if you get it done early, but you really need to think long and hard about your current players being involved directly with us I think.

He didn’t OH, he’s pick Western Australia and of the two options his preference is WC. Hasn’t nominated them unlike last year. We can deal Freo. Freo want him, we want what Freo offers which is 6&7 and bobs your uncle. Thank you TK. Good luck with it all. Freo is a fabo spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That isn't how I interpret the statement at all but even so why do you think all the players I mentioned had a right to pick and get to Geelong but TK must just pick a state?

West Coasters note that you are his preference, but his desire is to get to WA for family reasons. If you can't do a deal he will go to Freo. He will NOT go into the draft so don't waste our time on that one either. So its simple, (I think you are short in relation to picks), lets talk pick 14 and an A grade player then, or I think you will miss the boat (dragging out trying to trade for a lower pick when we could just cut a deal with Freo after a 'reasonable time). Why not be prepared to do say Gaff and 14 or Allen and 14 ? If its Brander or Petracelle then I think it will need to be 14 and another pick say next years second rounder, as well. No need to get all worked up, like I said, he's going to WA, you can do the deal if you get it done early, but you really need to think long and hard about your current players being involved directly with us I think.
They could all ways turn 14/24/31 into a top 10 for starters

Fair enough he picked WC but WC still needs to come up with a deal satisfactory to Geelong.

14 + future first/24 is not satisfactory.

They’ll need to manoeuvre and bring in a 3rd club to use their hand of picks to give us something better.

Early picks will get the deal done. Not mid range ones. They’ve had 12 months to work this out. They’ll need to include a pick better than 14, abd then also give us 14 (a single digit pick) to be satisfactory.

Otherwise there’s another club that is “home”

Sounds like we're both on the same page. My only caveat is that, if Freo don't give you the picks you want, you'll probably take what West Coast give you rather than keep Kelly for another year.

GENERALLY however, West Coast and Freo don't step on each other's toes when doing trades for players who nominate one of them, because they know the other can drive up the currency at any point out of spite. If Freo want him bad enough though they can certainly make him too rich for our blood, but they'd also know it will hurt them in the future when trying for other players. New management outfit over there though, so lets see what happens.
I agree with much of your position, we will get him over to WA. No doubt Freo want him. He is far more important to their list structure than yours, especially with the loss of Neale and Hill. I do doubt Freo will let WCE get him for unders, regardless of any gentleman's agreement.

You’re forgetting that the AFL will step in to mediate if you try and low ball us again

personally I think he will stay or go to Freo

WCE easily don’t want to pay what he’s worth and like last year they will Probbly use the low trade offers again thinking we will just let him go because of his family situation.

I just hope if we do let him go for unders to WCE we absolutely make WCE pay in any future trades and make it really hurt the club .
Yep, I have a definite feeling that WCE list managers and fans are in denial. Two top tens is what he is worth, but this whole "yeah, he is ok but we will only offer what we have" is just them rationalising how they could look him over 6 years in a row, most likely costing them a premiership or two.

Go educate yourself on the deal.

If we didn’t trade for him then Adelaide would’ve got worse compensation through the FA system. He was leaving regardless, we could’ve got him without giving up anything.

So yes, we did them a favour.

He was a restricted free agent. Crows matched the deal meaning a trade had to be done. If there was no trade done he goes into the PSD and gets taken by any number of the Melbourne teams picking before Geelong. So not a different situation, very similar to this one. A trade needs to be done to WC or he goes into the PSD, the same as Danger, where you paid well unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're actually in a similar position with Gaff right now, where he may want to go home to Victoria soon (his dad is really sick with cancer).

If Gaff nominated Collingwood and they didn't have very good picks, then I would hope the club could persuade him to play for any Vic-based club (and negotiate with ones who had better picks). If the other clubs didn't present better offers than Collingwood then I wouldn't exactly be happy about it, but I would let Gaff go for the best trade we could get because that would be the right thing to do by Gaff and his family.
Apparently not. Gaff off the table in any Kelly trade.

He was a restricted free agent. Crows matched the deal meaning a trade had to be done. If there was no trade done he goes into the PSD and gets taken by any number of the Melbourne teams picking before Geelong. So not a different situation, very similar to this one. A trade needs to be done to WC or he goes into the PSD, the same as Danger, where you paid well unders.
Wrong

Don't be harsh on Tim, Fremantle is where players careers go to die. It will be this years first rounder and next. With your second rounder coming back.
So Kelly and a 2nd round pick?

I say we hold firm for Freo pick 6 and 7 (the Brad hill pick plus their pick) and anything short of that, he can take his chances in the draft. See if adelaide or Carlton don’t take him before Freo or WC get a pick. He’s as good a midfielder as there is going around, he’s 25 and he kicks goals. That’s rare as hens teeth and we need to be compensated accordingly. Unless west coast are prepared to offer a serious player - Gaff, Darling, all Australian quality, Plus their pick 14, they shouldn’t even be in the conversation.

Preference for WCE - not totally ruling out Freo?
Yep- it’s great. The club is going to tough it out. WC will have to seriously step up or we get a really good deal with Freo. It’s going to work out!
No problem with him needing to go back but he doesn’t get to choose which club as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Apparently not. Gaff off the table in any Kelly trade.

FWIW I don't think you would get Gaff this year, anyway. He very publicly nailed his flag to the WCE mast at the end of 2018. I suspect he will stay with us for as long as his dad stays in a stable condition, then if he starts to go downhill a trade will eventuate with a Vic club.

Umm nope.
If Adelaide matched the offer he stays in Adelaide there is no trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back