Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to believe it is more 'laughing with' than 'laughing at'.

Better than other films that lack even that! I can think of a couple a recent additions to the franchise that fit that...

Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019)

Zach Galifianakis takes his silly interviews with celebrities on the road. The interviews are the funniest part but they are cut short by the loose plot of the movie which doesn't really add anything of value. There are some bloopers at the end which I think also detracted as you see Zach out of character.

6/10
I agree the celeb interviews are the highlight but I largely enjoyed it, even the wacky plot. Probably a 7/10 film for me.

Gemini Man. Old Will Smith vs Young Will Smith. Vanity project for Smith and director Ang Lee, who busts out new CGI and 3D. Looks great but the plot is run of the mill and the characters surprisingly two dimensional. 5/10 mostly for the fancy graphics.

Ocean’s 8. Mostly just boring and lacking in any tension. Anne Hathaway remains gorgeous. 5/10.

Pain and Glory - Almodovar's latest and well may be his best. Antonio Banderas plays a director caught in a creative rut who begins reflecting on his life, particularly his childhood and moving to Madrid with his mother, Penelope Cruz. The film manages to touch on a range of interesting and thought provoking melancholic themes throughout, but is just so gentle and pleasant that it makes it a real joy. Banderas won Best Actor at Cannes and fully deserved it - hopefully he can get some recognition with the Academy also. Probably my film of the year to date.

Josie - Just a nothing movie. Boring.

Ready Player One - Never read the book but understand it’s a bit of a cult classic. You wouldn’t realise it from the movie. It was fun but hardly memorable. 6.5/10.

The book is about the same imo. There are lots of "I get that reference" geekiness and it does work really well but there are huge bonus points for being an 80s kid that played the games (the book focuses on several games that the movie drops for scenes that can fit in heaps of references like the car race).

I enjoyed it and will read the sequel but the plots and writing are ok rather than great.

The book is about the same imo. There are lots of "I get that reference" geekiness and it does work really well but there are huge bonus points for being an 80s kid that played the games (the book focuses on several games that the movie drops for scenes that can fit in heaps of references like the car race).

I enjoyed it and will read the sequel but the plots and writing are ok rather than great.
Not a bad film its one you can watch a few times
My wife loves it

Trainspotting 2

A really good follow up to the first one. I kind of wish I had recently watched the first one though as I would have helped with some of the stoty arcs that only came back to me while watching this.

Joker was magnificent. Joaqin Pheonix's performance was outstanding. The overall look of the film was so dark and foreboding. It was a very disturbing experience. 9.5/10

Gemini Man. Took my son today. Pretty much run of the mill action flick with a cloning twist. Good action scenes, average dialogue, some very obvious product placement. 6/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrival - I watched this last night and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I could appreciate the effort to make it a slower-paced alien encounter movie that didn't have you on action and bombast, but why then did it have all the sci-fi action tropes (e.g. the gruff Army guy that eventually came around, the incompetent leader who doesn't understand the mission etc). And the intellectual stuff all felt very shallow and not particularly interesting. There was so much more potential there to explore language as power rather than just blandly saying "language is power". It felt like it was trying to be two very different movies and succeeding at neither. And without giving away any of the plot, the emotional pay off of her relationships had no weight at all because things just seemed to happen without any development.

It wasn't a terrible movie, just a boring and at times frustrating one. I rate it 6/10.

Joker was magnificent. Joaqin Pheonix's performance was outstanding. The overall look of the film was so dark and foreboding. It was a very disturbing experience. 9.5/10

Gemini Man. Took my son today. Pretty much run of the mill action flick with a cloning twist. Good action scenes, average dialogue, some very obvious product placement. 6/10
I know they had to pay for all the fancy new 3D tech, but geez, how bad was the product placement.

Green book. I would say it was probably "very" loosely based on actual events but I really enjoyed it.

The doctor's family downplayed a lot of the events and claimed that there was barely any friendship there, but the evidence put forward by the film makers indicates that the film was reasonably accurate with a bit of licence taken.

I enjoyed it too.

Watched Baby Driver the other night on one of the FTA channels, I remember all the hype for it when it came out, considered seeing it at the cinema.

Thank god I didn't, what a pile of rubbish, if I had forked out 20 bucks plus to see that I would have asked for my money back.

It's like a glorified Fast and the Furious but with less cool driving scenes.

Bad Times at the El Royal (2018). I enjoyed it but can still see why maybe it wasn't a smash hit.

It's a fantastic cast, good idea, bucket loads of atmosphere but it all only half gels. Imo the individual stories are great but all up are too much for meeting by coincidence, needed to either cut back a few or give them a better reason for meeting on that particular night.

Watched Baby Driver the other night on one of the FTA channels, I remember all the hype for it when it came out, considered seeing it at the cinema.

Thank god I didn't, what a pile of rubbish, if I had forked out 20 bucks plus to see that I would have asked for my money back.

It's like a glorified Fast and the Furious but with less cool driving scenes.

I saw it at the movies- loved it.

I saw it again on DVD- yeah nah, dont need to see it again. I think i turned it off half way thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back