Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Driver is one of the biggest turnarounds I've seen in a film. Started pretentiously and was quite frankly horrible - until Jamie Foxx came in to it, then it really straightened the movie up and it was very good from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parasite - dir. Bong Joon Hoo

Starts off with a family's daughter being hired by a rich family to tutor their kids, gradually the other 3 members replace others employed at the home. It may be a bit of a slow burn for some but it's laced with dark humour it doesn't phase me, and the final hour it goes nuts.

Highly recommended film. Song Kang Ho is a masterful actor who thoroughly deserves more international recognition. Can't wait to rewatch this.

9.5/10?!? Wow, you don't think your overrating it just a tad?

Depends how highly you rate acting? It’s a brilliant performance from Phoenix probably the best in years, the best since Affleck in Manchester by the Sea IMO and the performance is the movie. It perfectly executed what it was attempting, not sure you can get much better than that.

Parasite - dir. Bong Joon Hoo

Starts off with a family's daughter being hired by a rich family to tutor their kids, gradually the other 3 members replace others employed at the home. It may be a bit of a slow burn for some but it's laced with dark humour it doesn't phase me, and the final hour it goes nuts.

Highly recommended film. Song Kang Ho is a masterful actor who thoroughly deserves more international recognition. Can't wait to rewatch this.

I loved the first half but thought it lost its way in the craziness. Could have reached a similar ending without such an abstract twist in the middle.

Depends how highly you rate acting? It’s a brilliant performance from Phoenix probably the best in years, the best since Affleck in Manchester by the Sea IMO and the performance is the movie. It perfectly executed what it was attempting, not sure you can get much better than that.
Yeah his acting was great.. the actual movie though, it was ok, i've seen better 9.5/10 seems way off the mark to me, it's no masterpiece by any means

Yeah his acting was great.. the actual movie though, it was ok, i've seen better 9.5/10 seems way off the mark to me, it's no masterpiece by any means

How can you seperate the film from the performance? If he was great I can’t see how you think the rest wasn’t considering there wasn’t anything else. Same as Taxi Driver, if you strip De Niels performance away there isn’t much left either.

You can most definitely separate a film and it’s performances.

There are plenty of movies that are simply carried or barely made watchable because of an actors performance.

Fractured - one of the best movies Netflix has had on for a long time. Loved it. Similarities to Shutter Island.

Taxi Driver is a lot more than just the one performance. Joker isn’t, really.

Not really, it’s got some nice cinematography with the interesting use of neon off the water, but the side arcs are relatively uninteresting outside of Bickles relationship to them. The Thomas Wayne story line with his mothers relationship is more interesting and the acting from his mother, neighbour and Wayne is equal to the supporting performances in T/D.

Dont get me wrong I like Taxi Driver but it’s attributed classic status for one reason and that’s the performance.

Last edited:
You can most definitely separate a film and it’s performances.

There are plenty of movies that are simply carried or barely made watchable because of an actors performance.

Absolutely. But not when the entire film is one performance, he is in every scene of the film. The film is only a vehicle for his performance. It’s like going to a one man show and saying with the exception of the one guy it was trash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. But not when the entire film is one performance, he is in every scene of the film. The film is only a vehicle for his performance. It’s like going to a one man show and saying with the exception of the one guy it was trash.
I can't be bothered going over this with you but you are wrong on this one, let's just leave it at that.

Star Wars Episode II
Attack of the Clones

0121765-med.jpg

It would be fair to say it isn't the best of the franchise, but have you seen how good Natalie Portman looks in this???

7/10

I can't be bothered going over this with you but you are wrong on this one, let's just leave it at that.

Quality argument. If you can’t be bothered rationalising your position why post at all...

Last edited:
Stand By Me - I was lonely on Saturday night (because my wife was unwell) and wanted to watch a classic movie that I hadn't seen before, so asked for a bunch of friends on FB what they would recommend I watch out of The Godfather, Casablanca and Stand By Me (the overwhelming majority voted for Stand By Me). I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but I'm not sure if watching it for the first time in my mid-30s was going to give me the best experience of it. If I'd watched it as a young 'un like seemingly everyone else did, I probably would've loved it a lot more. Which is probably why I prefer The Goonies. Has the nostalgia factor. 7/10

MoS and BvS are dark, gritty comic book film's as you can get.

But audiences criticised them for being too dark and going against the etho's of the character.

*Joker was created under DC Black Label. I would love for them to explore Two-Faced and Black Mask origins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back