Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.
For AFL to be considered national not only Tassie but Canberra as well, and that's never going to happen

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.
Tasmanis has a population of 533k and isn't growing. Expecting a side to get 75k members is like expecting one of the Queensland sides to have 710k members. I don't really see the argument for North in Tasmania. Their sponsorship deals probably wouldn't be that stronger than in Melbourne, they sell off three games to Tasmania anyway, and the northern suburbs are booming. I also find this obsession with picking on North, whose attendances over the past few years are roughly similar to St Kilda and Footscray rather unfair. Why not relocate St Kilda? They have about the same amount of members.

For AFL to be considered national not only Tassie but Canberra as well, and that's never going to happen
I can kinda understand why people on keen on Tasmania, it's a footy state. Canberra? Firstly, GWS claim the city as their own, play matches there and draw members from there. Secondly, it's a really small city. Population wise, it makes just as much sense for Canberra to have a side as Newcastle. Population wise, it arguably makes more sense to put another side in Perth.

1) father son should be reduced to 20 games.
The ideas of tradition is underrated

2) we are too forgiving of criminals.
Found guilty of any violent or sexual crime. Life ban. Goes for playing commentating or any other thing.
Not sure why we put up with the likes of Carey of tv.

3) AFLW is only there to fill time in summer.

I can kinda understand why people on keen on Tasmania, it's a footy state. Canberra? Firstly, GWS claim the city as their own, play matches there and draw members from there. Secondly, it's a really small city. Population wise, it makes just as much sense for Canberra to have a side as Newcastle. Population wise, it arguably makes more sense to put another side in Perth.
I really can't see how GWS can claim Canberra as there own when they are based over 175 miles away

I really can't see how GWS can claim Canberra as there own when they are based over 175 miles away
Makes as much sense as St Kilda trying to claim NZ as their own, or the squabble over Tasmania by Melbourne clubs. GWS is clearly trying to promote the idea that they're the club for Canberra by playing three matches there every year. If you introduce a Canberra club, you mess up with GWS and the AFL's strategy of making GWS the team for Canberrrans and western Sydneysiders. It's a stretch, but it's the plan and it makes more sense than trying to establish a side for Canberra outright. The population is small and the city isn't a footy city or growing very fast. It's only claim to fame is that it's the capital, which, to be honest, means little.

Makes as much sense as St Kilda trying to claim NZ as their own, or the squabble over Tasmania by Melbourne clubs. GWS is clearly trying to promote the idea that they're the club for Canberra by playing three matches there every year. If you introduce a Canberra club, you mess up with GWS and the AFL's strategy of making GWS the team for Canberrrans and western Sydneysiders. It's a stretch, but it's the plan and it makes more sense than trying to establish a side for Canberra outright. The population is small and the city isn't a footy city or growing very fast. It's only claim to fame is that it's the capital, which, to be honest, means little.
I understand what you are saying, but for me i don't see how you can have 2 home grounds nearly 200 miles apart. Its flawed thinking in my opinion by the AFL

I understand what you are saying, but for me i don't see how you can have 2 home grounds nearly 200 miles apart. Its flawed thinking in my opinion by the AFL
It's a stretch, no doubt. But I suspect there's always going to be parts of Australia that clubs stretch to, rather than base themselves there permanently. Hobart, Darwin, Cairns, Canberra come to mind. I originally thought that Canberrans wouldn't give two hoots about a Greater Western Sydney team, but their membership numbers in Canberra aren't bad. Added bonus that they now have complete ownership of the city with the Melbourne clubs pulling away, and it helps that it's not a Victorian side either. If they can get 10-15k members in Canberra and average 10-12.5k attendance in Canberra they've done well and it's pretty feasible.

The best way to support an area is for that area to have its own team. Not a team based 200 miles away IMO.
Sure, but the AFL doesn't believe it can really support a standalone team in Canberra, which is why it's doing it by halves by having the closest team in the league play there three times a year. In the list of things the AFL does which are dumb, this is waaaaay down the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Psa: saying aflw sux lol isn't an unpopular opinion and you're not some unique snowflake because you have this opinion. Its been stated on every ******* page of this thread.

Psa: saying aflw sux lol isn't an unpopular opinion and you're not some unique snowflake because you have this opinion. Its been stated on every ******* page of this thread.
To say that ALW is good to watch is an insult to peoples intelligence.
Its crap, total crap. Higher skill levels and enjoyment watching a school boys game.
That's why it free to get in. Nobody would pay to watch such dross

To say that ALW is good to watch is an insult to peoples intelligence.
Its crap, total crap. Higher skill levels and enjoyment watching a school boys game.
That's why it free to get in. Nobody would pay to watch such dross

Not once did I say anything about the quality
I'm saying its not an unpopular opinion

For starters, divorce and custody are not the same thing. Marriage is not a pre requisite of having children.

Having two homes is nothing unusual. To suggest otherwise is naive.
The kids home is listed as to where the parent of who has custody of the kid lives.
You can''t put down two addresses to schools when they start school

Remove this Banner Ad

Back