News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk is that Martin will put a massive 7 figure amount on a single year deal to price the Suns out since they have cap issues and to scare Melbourne away. He'd then immediately sign another extension at the Blues with the correct money to even the whole thing out.
Pretty sure the afl said that isn’t allowed

The counter argument to that is look at the heavy losses that were inflicted upon GWS.

They have made finals regularly and played off in a GF last year.

I do agree though there can be some scaring from those defeats.

Competitive footy is the key as you said, if you lose then so be it. I can see your point, that being bashed from pillar to post can break the spirit of some players.
Thing is why GWS did suffer large defeats they also were very careful in the senior talent they recruited, and to me that is the difference.
Heath Shaw, Mumford, Deledio, Griffen, Reid, Ward, Davis, good people to work with the younger stars. they also recruited better future leaders rather than who was the best player.
The other got rid of the good people and ran with youth and idiots.

Look how well it worked for the Suns?

You cant tell me they didnt give up in the second half of the season, from a betting perspective I made a killing going against them at almost every opportunity I could.

Im not suggesting here that we tank or give up. What I am suggesting as you mentioned is play the kids and play Nicks game plan and lets see how this all plays out.

I definitely dont want a kid who is performing well in the SANFL to not be given a good run of games in the AFL to prove himself.

If we happen to come last or near bottom, there is plethora of prizes that awaits us.

Agree, there is no pressure on our club to perform miracles. Play the kids when in form, rest them when they get tired. Most important for me is to give them a run in important positions, let Jones play in the middle. Don’t play them only on flanks, give them a go and let them learn.

The future is bright even if we have a few bad games

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, there is no pressure on our club to perform miracles. Play the kids when in form, rest them when they get tired. Most important for me is to give them a run in important positions, let Jones play in the middle. Don’t play them only on flanks, give them a go and let them learn.

The future is bright even if we have a few bad games

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Get the process right the results will take care of themselves

So true. If Jenkins and Tex had the courage in the air that Murphy has, things could’ve been different

Personally I think tex is cooked. Too slow and he is a liability now as teams attack from deep in defence. I know you could easily look at his 2019 stats and say that my opinion is rubbish. Fair enough.

But in Tex’s defence of my own argument we set up our forward structures and a game plan that simply did not play to Tex’s strength. I think that is on Pyke and his assistants. Maybe the counter argument is that the way the game has changed you can’t have a game plan that suits a 29 year old Tex. Whatever the case, moving forward we can’t structure up to suit Tex moving forward. It was the right thing to do in 2017, but it’s not what we should be doing in 2020.

Ideally he can still benefit the development of Fog, Himmelberg and Frampton as part of the 22. But if he continues to be a liability next season, the coaches need to do what Pyke and Campo couldn’t. Have the balls to drop tex from the best 22. Needs to do more than just kick a couple of goals a game. If the entire forward structure doesn’t work because of his lack of mobility then he does more harm than good.

Yep this comment stuck out to me too. I wasn't sure how to interpret what he was saying when he said "the players will be happy about that". For a second I thought he was being sarcastic and joking about the players begrudgingly having to do more contested ball training. I'd rather believe your version though.
Mate Sloane and the crouch boys love contested footy and are bloody good at it! The problem was the dimwit coaches trying to make them play a different style of game resulting in our midfield looking terrible. Yeah we get burnt on the outside but that's only because we have spuds like McKay and Atkins that should be spreading and chasing instead of only running when it suits them.

In fairness to Tex his contested marking in the second half of the season was at the best it has been for awhile .

I did have to laugh at him going up one handed for marks using the arm that had the elbow injury.

Our forward line just looks so uncoached. How the * does Hart still have a job?

Personally I think tex is cooked. Too slow and he is a liability now as teams attack from deep in defence. I know you could easily look at his 2019 stats and say that my opinion is rubbish. Fair enough.

But in Tex’s defence of my own argument we set up our forward structures and a game plan that simply did not play to Tex’s strength. I think that is on Pyke and his assistants. Maybe the counter argument is that the way the game has changed you can’t have a game plan that suits a 29 year old Tex. Whatever the case, moving forward we can’t structure up to suit Tex moving forward. It was the right thing to do in 2017, but it’s not what we should be doing in 2020.

Ideally he can still benefit the development of Fog, Himmelberg and Frampton as part of the 22. But if he continues to be a liability next season, the coaches need to do what Pyke and Campo couldn’t. Have the balls to drop tex from the best 22. Needs to do more than just kick a couple of goals a game. If the entire forward structure doesn’t work because of his lack of mobility then he does more harm than good.
Wouldn’t mind him playing him up the ground more in the lynch role. Might be less of a liability plus we get the bonus of having his supreme field kicking to set up play

I did have to laugh at him going up one handed for marks using the arm that had the elbow injury.

Our forward line just looks so uncoached. How the fu** does Hart still have a job?
Usually did that because the ball was delivered so high he'd never reach it with two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward line just looks so uncoached. How the fu** does Hart still have a job?
I think it was overall game plan this year too.

Not saying Hart is any good but we will be able to judge when Nicks takes the reigns and has a new game plan.

Hoping Nicks make us more dynamic and damaging.

Interesting comment made by Nicks in his presser when appointed as coach .. We will be a contested team and we want players that will put there head in the hole folloed up with an off the cuff remark " the players will be happy about that" I can't exactly remember the context but the comment about the players really pricked my ears, looks like Sloane had already had a word with the new boss about how shyt the old regime was!

This is sounding very Brenton Sanderson like to me. Which did have us bursting out of the blocks in 2012.
Albeit with a certain Patrick Dangerfield being a big part of that and we’ve lost both of our big bodied mids in CEY and Greenwood last week also.

Luckily what happens on BF never happens irl. But some of these trade ideas make me nervous. I don’t mind if we just take our current hand to the draft without any more chances. But mostly, please, please, please leave pick 4 and our 2020 first alone.

(Chances are next years first being a top 4 pick too)
I think we’d be too conservative to trade the pick 4... and I just don’t get why we would want to.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but check out Dylan Stephen's highlights.

I have to say, I was against taking him with our 1st pick a few months ago, but I am coming around to the idea of it.

Aggressive, fast, great kick, goal savvy, played against men, elite endurance (from the combine numbers)... I mean, there's not much not to like really! I actually saw quite a lot of Brodie Smith when I saw this!

Any rumours knowledge or indication when we might have our Football Manager and Assistant coaches appointed.
Hart hasn't been removed as a coach but believe hasn't got a contract either , so can only hope I get my third wish he joins the other two at Centrelink.
Was coming to ask the same thing, has been very quiet regarding any assistant coaching appointments.

Was coming to ask the same thing, has been very quiet regarding any assistant coaching appointments.
TBH I don't mind if this takes a little longer. I think Nicks should have a big say in who he works with in that capacity if we want this relationship to flourish.

As long as its sorted before the draft

TBH I don't mind if this takes a little longer. I think Nicks should have a big say in who he works with in that capacity if we want this relationship to flourish.

As long as its sorted before the draft
Agreed that we don't want to rush the process, and it may have been pushed back to allow Nicks to have freedom to build his coaching team.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but check out Dylan Stephen's highlights.

I have to say, I was against taking him with our 1st pick a few months ago, but I am coming around to the idea of it.

Aggressive, fast, great kick, goal savvy, played against men, elite endurance (from the combine numbers)... I mean, there's not much not to like really! I actually saw quite a lot of Brodie Smith when I saw this!

Would like to split pick 4 into 7 and 10 (Freo - hope someone likes Henry in the top 9?).
Could take Stephens with pick 7 then take an inside mid at 10.

I'm with you - would be a great get (Norwood bias aside).

How's his pace in the centre clearance at 1:04 in the highlight video?

That centre break goal :hearteyes:

He's also tough as nails. He's no Atkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back