List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Kreuzer is another example. We drafted him as a ruck ‘who Could go forward’. We had huge debate on here at the time. He was kicking 2 goals a week against kids. Just bigger than his defender. Was never going to translate and didn’t.

Flanders will translate as a genuine forward. He’s explosive. Serong will not.
In Kreuzer's defence, his issue has never been about the bigger bodies per se, but his timing when the ball comes in a little wonky or high. Sure, he's not going to monster defenders as a power forward, but for mine his sheer work rate catches up with his ability to make those small adjustments as the ball gets within reach.

If he wants to change his game style a tiny bit, or if the team starts playing cleaner football and he's having to cover marginally less ground or sprint less often, watch his output as a forward skyrocket.

Just trying to remember some academy kids that were overhyped and then drafted too high on draft night? Most of them end up where they belong.
Kennedy is the first example that comes to mind. I said it in the lead-up to the 2015 draft, and it's held true the whole way through, though he obviously slid a tad from a projected top 5 or top 10 pick.

Questions for the watchers:
1. Who do you think we should pick and why?
2. Who do you think we will pick and why?
3. Who do you like for our later picks?

In Kreuzer's defence, his issue has never been about the bigger bodies per se, but his timing when the ball comes in a little wonky or high. Sure, he's not going to monster defenders as a power forward, but for mine his sheer work rate catches up with his ability to make those small adjustments as the ball gets within reach.

If he wants to change his game style a tiny bit, or if the team starts playing cleaner football and he's having to cover marginally less ground or sprint less often, watch his output as a forward skyrocket.

Kennedy is the first example that comes to mind. I said it in the lead-up to the 2015 draft, and it's held true the whole way through, though he obviously slid a tad from a projected top 5 or top 10 pick.
Perryman was another who was probably selected too early. Setterfield, and Bowes had rave reviews. Mills, Heeney and Hopper were clearly the best players in their draft according to many. All of these players have become good to very good AFL players, but I don't think they've matched the hype.

I think not fumbling under pressure is about as important a draft skill as there is. Especially for players under 192. Fumbling almost certainly rules out a midfield spot. And a forward pocket spot. Like I panic when I see it in juniors. Stephens fumbled twice in the sanfl reserves game. I hated it so much I went back and watched other games to see if it’s a trend. It isn’t. But it’s more in the back of my mind about him rhan his build (which is all anyone talks about).

Flipside is Green. Simple thing like picking up a half volley under pressure in a game against the Bushrangers early this year. He does it over and over again. His hands are superb.

Flanders has amazing hands. Doesn’t fumble. Serong close. Doesn’t fumble. It’s vital at AFL level in my view. Young doesn’t fumble. Ash maybe a little. Not much. Stephens about the same. Kemp about the same. Liam Henry couldn’t fumble if you asked him to try.
Been liking your eye on this years draft candidates Windows, Any player who has a one grab and no fumble with poise trait particularly under pressure whatever position they play is a huge in my eyes factor elevates/separates them from the rest...

Imo after getting the time to go over watching full games of the championships my thoughts on the supposed projected top 10 is a bit of a mixed bag, for me there's players that for me have a few questions marks too why they should be talked about so highly...

Been liking your eye on this years draft candidates Windows, Any player who has a one grab and no fumble with poise trait particularly under pressure whatever position they play is a huge in my eyes factor elevates/separates them from the rest...

Imo after getting the time to go over watching full games of the championships my thoughts on the supposed projected top 10 is a bit of a mixed bag, for me there's players that for me have a few questions marks too why they should be talked about so highly...
What you got so far? What are your thoughts?

Please don't take offence however, read the whole thread. Lots if opinions and evidence from really clued in people who probably don't appreciate repeating themselves.

I am not high on Gould like some of you it seems, I think Ash has him covered on so many levels other than body mass.
Gould will always struggle with his weight just like Whitnell did, so Ash is the smart choice, plus Gould will go late first early second I reckon after his combine results.

Think Arrow and Lemmingmaster are best placed for this. Terry Wallet too.

For me, for what it’s worth:
1. In order of remotely possible players I’d cross off in order: Flanders, Ash, Stephens, Young, Serong, Kemp. I really rate the potential for damage Flanders and Ash have. One forward and one back. I think both create goals. Stephens is just a good solid mid. Good skills. Good decision maker. Works super hard. Loved his SANFL Reserves GF game. Just energiser bunny. Young is a nice player but doesn’t break lines with run (although a terrific kick). Serong is good but I just don’t see him being great. Kemp a good forward and maybe maybe more but I wouldn’t bet on it and has the knee.
2. I think we will trade it. I really do. If we don’t I can’t work out why we wouldn’t follow a similar order to what I have above in 1.
3. Not sure. Most players after about 25-30 don’t excite me and I won’t be putting much time into evaluating them.

Don’t give you much but I’ve crapped on enough already in other posts!

I think not fumbling under pressure is about as important a draft skill as there is. Especially for players under 192. Fumbling almost certainly rules out a midfield spot. And a forward pocket spot. Like I panic when I see it in juniors. Stephens fumbled twice in the sanfl reserves game. I hated it so much I went back and watched other games to see if it’s a trend. It isn’t. But it’s more in the back of my mind about him rhan his build (which is all anyone talks about).

Flipside is Green. Simple thing like picking up a half volley under pressure in a game against the Bushrangers early this year. He does it over and over again. His hands are superb.

Flanders has amazing hands. Doesn’t fumble. Serong close. Doesn’t fumble. It’s vital at AFL level in my view. Young doesn’t fumble. Ash maybe a little. Not much. Stephens about the same. Kemp about the same. Liam Henry couldn’t fumble if you asked him to try.
Yeah I agree totally and that’s exactly why I would take Brazier over Wild as a NGA rookie, Wild seems to fumble a lot from what I have seen of him and a lot of the time not under enormous pressure, where as Brazier while a lot rougher around the edges is fairly clean when it comes to picking up the ball and has a lot more versatility as a player position wise. What’s your opinion if you had to choose?

What you got so far? What are your thoughts?
Well taking away my bias who i think imo is not only one of the most talented players that hasn't been able to put a solid year together because of injury and being played across half back and midfield at times for development Dylan Williams is still who I'd go for, maybe a reach in many eyes but he's top couple for me.
If we are going by taking pick 9(10) on draft night, I'm only for Ash or Stephens if they slide that far to us or I'm putting pick 9(10) up for a split of later early picks, very happy to pick Williams Taylor Weightman Pickett in the 15-25 range if they are available in that region...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My answers is the same it’s Ash, Stephens, Kemp. Ash replaces Simmo long term and suits teagues attacking style as well as Stephens, Kemp big fan just acl at young age worry’s me

In my opinion they did the 12 and 18 for 6 trade to make as near a surety as they can to get either *Jackson or Green. In that order. If they end up matching on Green they end up losing points on that 12 and 18 trade but it's not disastrous and the trade gives them near surety of getting one of their 2 wanted players.

* I'm assuming and pretty confident it's Jackson, but it could be someone else. Young for instance.
They could miss out on both though. If they pass on a bid on Green and then the Crows or Swans select Jackson they miss out.

I haven’t watched this draft, but they have a big decision ahead of them. If Green is as good as people are saying and they select him, they will just lose another quality mid in a year or 2 at his expense. You can only fit so many high priced midfielders into one team, especially if they can’t play elsewhere effectively.

Canberra is a very important market for them and getting a quality local boy would be a priority, it’s a tough decision. Most teams don’t have the luxury of a “needs” based pick in the top 10 but I think they need to do it and overlook him in favour of a Jackson (for example).

All does make for interesting maths though. Regardless of our opinions I am yet to work out how GWS can get the points to move up.

Melb aren’t trading for anything less than a first next year thrown in with 6. In that world there’s just aren’t enough points this year and next to match a bid at 5 by Swans. I don’t think? But if it’s not at least that why would Melbourne bother? They are not trading 3 for 6 and a second rounder with gws. They just traded out of next year because their ‘futures’ Work (their wording on radio I heard) said next year was weak.

Melb is every chance to decide tactically they are better off bidding on Green to prevent GWS doing the two for one. Will help them at pick 8.

But if that all plays out I don’t get why GWS did the 12 and 18 for 6 trade. They lost (400?) points in it. Baffling.
I’m not convinced Melbourne will trade for 6 and a future first either. Next year is reportedly a weak draft and highly compromised (Melbourne have confirmed that this is their view). There’s every chance they could be trading down for a pick in the twenties in a weak draft. Why do that if there’s a chance you miss out on the player you really like at pick 3?

Yeah I agree totally and that’s exactly why I would take Brazier over Wild as a NGA rookie, Wild seems to fumble a lot from what I have seen of him and a lot of the time not under enormous pressure, where as Brazier while a lot rougher around the edges is fairly clean when it comes to picking up the ball and has a lot more versatility as a player position wise. What’s your opinion if you had to choose?
I don’t like Wild at all to be honest. Haven’t focused on Brazier. In fact couldn’t pick him out of a line up.

Wouldn't rush to put Brazier on an AFL list.

He's a state league calibre player for now.

Not sure any of our NGA get on a list this year. More than happy to add them to the Northern Blues squad though and see how they go, as we did with Penrith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back