Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Sholl was pretty damn skinny when we drafted him. He's put on a fair bit of size in a short amount of time.
I reckon that's one thing that's come out of Binuks data analysis work. Clubs were under-rating some of the skinnier guys. At underage they look underwhelming, but if you can be confident they can get the meat on the bones, then they'll come flying back in to contention. All the guys we took late-ish last year were scrawny. Gollant is super scrawny but if he can put some muscle on he might be ok.

Yes, Smithers is taking the piss out of him but its great to see Sholl putting on some size in the off season. Really think he can put some pressure on for Atkins wing. His dual sided kicks would be very welcome.View attachment 787065
Absolutely will be an important piece of our team from 2021 .... needs to be given at least 6-8 games next season .
What a great pick , a late round snaffle , a Hamish special , a Lach , a Sholl in .

Just being two sided he’s ahead of Atkins already
Agreed , let's see what Atkins provides with some genuine pressure on his spot in 2020 ... his best is excellent but when he is not switched on he is a complete liability and frustrating as f..kery to watch .

No question to his specific talents but to me he was unfit and unfocused for most of the season just past .

Nicks will give him every opportunity but he will not put up with his bullshit either .

Make or break season for the Rat

Agreed , let's see what Atkins provides with some genuine pressure on his spot in 2020 ... his best excellent but when he is not switched on a complete liability.
No questioning his specific talents but to me he was unfit and unfocused for most of season just past .
Nicks will give him every opportunity but he will not put up with his bullshit either .
I would test him and start him in SANFL and see if he is capable of displacing someone

Agreed , let's see what Atkins provides with some genuine pressure on his spot in 2020 ... his best excellent but when he is not switched on a complete liability.
No questioning his specific talents but to me he was unfit and unfocused for most of season just past .
So much competition now, I'm doubting whether he plays R1

I reckon that's one thing that's come out of Binuks data analysis work. Clubs were under-rating some of the skinnier guys. At underage they look underwhelming, but if you can be confident they can get the meat on the bones, then they'll come flying back in to contention. All the guys we took late-ish last year were scrawny. Gollant is super scrawny but if he can put some muscle on he might be ok.

Binuk would have zero say in talent identification, that's down to the experts in the field like our Hamish Ogilvie and Scotty Degabriele etc.

All those guys last year could run like gazelles, even Jordan Butts has some toe for a tall....this bloke runs like a giraffe....

I would test him and start him in SANFL and see if he is capable of displacing someone
A big rev up from the get go ... not a bad move but if he comes into the season very fit and hungry i would start him in the 1's
He was a few kegs over last season , heavy legged , keen to see what shape he is in come Jan-Feb .
Like the idea if he is not in A1 condition .

A big rev up from the get go ... not a bad move but if he comes into the season very fit and hungry i would start him in the 1's
He was a few kegs over last season , heavy legged , keen to see what shape he is in come Jan-Feb .
Like the idea if he is not in A1 condition .
We would hope after what’s been happening that all are hungry this year otherwise out the door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Binuk would have zero say in talent identification, that's down to the experts in the field like our Hamish Ogilvie and Scotty Degabriele etc.

All those guys last year could run like gazelles, even Jordan Butts has some toe for a tall....this bloke runs like a giraffe....
Interesting to hear your opinion. Realistically to get on to an AFL list you have to have at least one part of your game that really stands out and cuts it at the elite level. Something you can hang your hat on, and with improvement in other areas of your game become a good AFL footballer. Being a good guy and having a good family isnt enough or I would have forged a 15 year AFL career.

Interesting to hear your opinion. Realistically to get on to an AFL list you have to have at least one part of your game that really stands out and cuts it at the elite level. Something you can hang your hat on, and with improvement in other areas of your game become a good AFL footballer. Being a good guy and having a good family isnt enough or I would have forged a 15 year AFL career.
I think you can only speak for your family peanut😂

I reckon some of Binuk's work came out with the O'Connor pick where Hamish was talking about what his stats would have looked like with full midfield minutes for Claremont.

Agreed , let's see what Atkins provides with some genuine pressure on his spot in 2020 ... his best is excellent but when he is not switched on he is a complete liability and frustrating as f..kery to watch .

No question to his specific talents but to me he was unfit and unfocused for most of the season just past .

Contract year so will probably play well.

Surely there has to be some thought about Sholl being best 22. Excellent year in the twos, followed up by getting himself in peak shape. Looks good.
Interesting first test for Nicks.

Previously it's rarely been about the player coming in, it's about who's going out (no one). Sholl didn't have as good a first season as Doedee for instance and he didn't come in. It didn't matter how well he played. If no one goes out then he can't come in.

It took Lever walking out the next year for that to happen.

For Sholl to play we'll need to make a selection call. Will be extremely pleasing if it happens. New leaf.

Last edited:

Maybe not in under 18’s but Binuk is certainly one of the pro scouts. His role is analytics and pro scouting (established/mature players).

I reckon some of Binuk's work came out with the O'Connor pick where Hamish was talking about what his stats would have looked like with full midfield minutes for Claremont.
Surprisingly though he's not a even a high possession accumulator even in the WAFL colts when he plays midfield not across half back.

I think these scouting notes from some of his WAFL games from AFL Draft Central's WA scout tell the story of why we drafted him more than anything else.
Size, Toughness, Work Rate and Leadership.

WAFL Colts Grand Final :

#5 Ronin O’Connor

The Claremont captain was a bull in the midfield for the Tigers, often throwing his weight around to win the contested possessions and clearances for his team. He finished with 17 possessions and three inside 50s in a brilliant captain’s performance. His attack on the ball and the man were a real feature of his game.

WAFL Colts Prelim Final :
#5 Ronin O’Connor

The Marist Junior was his brutal self in the midfield, often throwing his big frame around to win the contested possession for his team. He finished with 17 possessions, six tackles and three marks in a powerful performance.

WAFL colts Round 1 :

#5 Ronin O’Connor
The Marist junior was a bull in the midfield for the Tigers, often throwing himself into stoppages to win the ball for his team. He collected 20 possessions and laid an equal game-high nine tackles as he tried to give Claremont the ascendancy around the stoppages.

WAFL Colts Round 14 :
#5 Ronin O’Connor

Stationed in defence, O’Connor was solid for the Tigers, often repelling Subiaco’s attacking forays. He gathered 12 possessions, laid six tackles and took three marks, but it was his leadership down back that caught the eye. His ability to communicate with his team-mates about where they should position themselves was outstanding for someone his age.

WAFL Colts : Final Minor Round game:

#5 Ronin O’Connor

Stationed on the half-back flank, O’Connor was excellent for the Tigers. Behind the play, O’Connor was setting up his fellow defenders, and when the ball was in his area, he attacked it with vigour and intent. His skills off half-back were also solid as he was able to set up plenty of forward opportunities for his team. He finished with 13 possessions, three marks, three clearances, two tackles and two rebounds.

Last edited:
Surprisingly though he's not a even a high possession accumulator even in the WAFL colts when he plays midfield not across half back.

I think these scouting notes from some of his WAFL games from AFL Draft Central's WA scout tell the story of why we drafted him more than anything else.
Size, Toughness, Work Rate and Leadership.

WAFL Colts Grand Final :
#5 Ronin O’Connor

The Claremont captain was a bull in the midfield for the Tigers, often throwing his weight around to win the contested possessions and clearances for his team. He finished with 17 possessions and three inside 50s in a brilliant captain’s performance. His attack on the ball and the man were a real feature of his game.

WAFL colts Prelim Final :
#5 Ronin O’Connor

WAFL colts Round 1 :

#5 Ronin O’Connor
The Marist junior was a bull in the midfield for the Tigers, often throwing himself into stoppages to win the ball for his team. He collected 20 possessions and laid an equal game-high nine tackles as he tried to give Claremont the ascendancy around the stoppages.

WAFL Colts Round 14 :
#5 Ronin O’Connor

Stationed in defence, O’Connor was solid for the Tigers, often repelling Subiaco’s attacking forays. He gathered 12 possessions, laid six tackles and took three marks, but it was his leadership down back that caught the eye. His ability to communicate with his team-mates about where they should position themselves was outstanding for someone his age.

WAFL Colts : Final Minor Round game:

#5 Ronin O’Connor

Stationed on the half-back flank, O’Connor was excellent for the Tigers. Behind the play, O’Connor was setting up his fellow defenders, and when the ball was in his area, he attacked it with vigour and intent. His skills off half-back were also solid as he was able to set up plenty of forward opportunities for his team. He finished with 13 possessions, three marks, three clearances, two tackles and two rebounds.

Is he the type of defensive mid the Crows see as having the size, speed and tackling ability to eventually stand the Cripps/Fyfe/Dangerfield/Dusty types and limit their effectiveness? Team first attitude rather than personal stats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back