Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Current Wars. The best movie I've seen this decade :)
The true story about the initial rollout of AC (Westinghouse) and DC (Edison) electricity in the US during the late 1800's. Cumberbatch was good and I'll watch anything with Michael Shannon in it.

Driven.
Another true story about John DeLorean (the guy who built the car in Back To The Future) and his interactions with a drug dealer in order to raise funds and keep his car company afloat. Really enjoyed it. Sudekis was very good.

Denmark.
A down and out loser in the UK, who decides he wants to commit a major crime in Denmark so that he can be sent to one of their prisons where they treat their inmates better than his dismal quality of life in the UK. Watchable, although a bit slow.

Are these Cinema or online Rodney?

Are these Cinema or online Rodney?
I saw them all on a flight yesterday, which is sadly where I watch most of my movies. So I assume they are in cinemas somewhere? In my experience though, Oz is one of the last markets, if not the last market, to screen latest movies.

Drive (2011) - I love this film. The atmosphere, the soundtrack, and the amazing performance from Gosling. This is a 9.5/10 movie for me. One of my favourites.

Had no idea about the film before it came up on Netflix one day, big fan afterwards. Near perfect - I think there's this Youtube video that provided an excellent analysis of the creative film-making techniques that Refn used and of course the soundtrack and acting from Gosling and Mulligan isn't too bad either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't even be that generous. I genuinely disliked it and don't understand the love for it at all!
I actually haven't seen it, but want to. Not so much for Gosling (who I don't mind), but more for Cranston.

My 3.6 rating comment was in reference to Kirby's avatar, probably the best show I saw last year. One of those ones that stays with you for a while. I still think about it.

I actually haven't seen it, but want to. Not so much for Gosling (who I don't mind), but more for Cranston.

My 3.6 rating comment was in reference to Kirby's avatar, probably the best show I saw last year. One of those ones that stays with you for a while. I still think about it.
Haha. I understood your post! :thumbsu:

Cranston's role is quite minor, it's propelled by Ryan Gosling (obviously) with Carey Mulligan being the love interest.

Think it should still be on Netflix.

I wouldn't even be that generous. I genuinely disliked it and don't understand the love for it at all!

I'd be interested to know, genuinely, why you disliked it. I can see why it won't be everyone's cup of tea but actively disliking it?

I'd be interested to know, genuinely, why you disliked it. I can see why it won't be everyone's cup of tea but actively disliking it?
Nothing of it connected with me. The styling, the characters, the plot, the soundtrack, none of it. Ryan Gosling's character felt like a really poorly written caricature of a brooding antihero played by an actor who didn't know how to pull it off - his reluctance to speak and general affectation when he did speak didn't give me the sense of the aloof nature it seemed to be trying to give him, but just that they didn't have any better dialogue for him to say. The elongated pauses in all the conversations was almost comical, but just frustrated me in the end. The rest of the characters were cliched and the storyline was much the same. I think I rated it 4/10 on IMDB, but was probably in a generous mood!

Nothing of it connected with me. The styling, the characters, the plot, the soundtrack, none of it. Ryan Gosling's character felt like a really poorly written caricature of a brooding antihero played by an actor who didn't know how to pull it off - his reluctance to speak and general affectation when he did speak didn't give me the sense of the aloof nature it seemed to be trying to give him, but just that they didn't have any better dialogue for him to say. The elongated pauses in all the conversations was almost comical, but just frustrated me in the end. The rest of the characters were cliched and the storyline was much the same. I think I rated it 4/10 on IMDB, but was probably in a generous mood!

Fair enough, opinions are opinions and I respect yours as you elaborated it. I do understand concerns with Ryan Gosling's character - he does brood but I think it was compelling anyway. Normally not a fan of graphic violence for the sake of it either but I think Drive does it well.

Gosling in Drive is supposed to be mentally disabled, on the spectrum or something. A film stunt driver who begins to believe he can be a real life hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Current Wars. The best movie I've seen this decade :)
The true story about the initial rollout of AC (Westinghouse) and DC (Edison) electricity in the US during the late 1800's. Cumberbatch was good and I'll watch anything with Michael Shannon in it.

Driven.
Another true story about John DeLorean (the guy who built the car in Back To The Future) and his interactions with a drug dealer in order to raise funds and keep his car company afloat. Really enjoyed it. Sudekis was very good.

Denmark.
A down and out loser in the UK, who decides he wants to commit a major crime in Denmark so that he can be sent to one of their prisons where they treat their inmates better than his dismal quality of life in the UK. Watchable, although a bit slow.

will look into these especially The Current Wars- I assume you have seen it but the 4 part series of TheMen Who Built America is fantastic

Gosling in Drive is supposed to be mentally disabled, on the spectrum or something. A film stunt driver who begins to believe he can be a real life hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentally disabled =/= on the spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back