Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I see movies I want to watch like this one but then I see ryan reynolds is in it and it puts me off, he annoys me, he thinks he's hilarious when he really isn't, plays the same smarmy campaigner in everything he's in.

There are many, many actors and actresses that basically play just one character or play themselves. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, no one is forcing you to watch it. Personally I can take it or leave it if it's a Ryan Reynolds movie.

There are many, many actors and actresses that basically play just one character or play themselves. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing, no one is forcing you to watch it. Personally I can take it or leave it if it's a Ryan Reynolds movie.
Agreed, problem is i don't mind the odd action movie here or there and he seems to be in a lot of them, so I avoid them for a while cause he's in it then I eventually crack and throw it on, thinking to myself he can't be doing the same schtick this time around can he? only to be subjected to his jokes falling flat for the next 2 hours, constantly rolling my eyes at the screen, anyone else in that role and the movie would be better.

Agreed, problem is i don't mind the odd action movie here or there and he seems to be in a lot of them, so I avoid them for a while cause he's in it then I eventually crack and throw it on, thinking to myself he can't be doing the same schtick this time around can he? only to be subjected to his jokes falling flat for the next 2 hours, constantly rolling my eyes at the screen, anyone else in that role and the movie would be better.

Well his movies keep making money so why change it up? Got to give him credit for finding his niche and at least his movies mostly aren't terrible. Won't be winning Oscars any time soon but not every movie has to be a cinematic masterpiece.

For example in 6 Underground I found it as cheap mindless entertainment with fast cars, hot women and things exploding that logically shouldn't explode like the typical Michael Bay movie - pair that up with Ryan Reynolds' humour and you've got stylistic but meaningless fun.

For the record, I'll be watching Bad Boys 3 as well with the same approach. Yeah Michael Bay deserves the scorn but his formula works and sometimes a good action movie is a tonic for the soul.

Well his movies keep making money so why change it up? Got to give him credit for finding his niche and at least his movies mostly aren't terrible. Won't be winning Oscars any time soon but not every movie has to be a cinematic masterpiece.

For example in 6 Underground I found it as cheap mindless entertainment with fast cars, hot women and things exploding that logically shouldn't explode like the typical Michael Bay movie - pair that up with Ryan Reynolds' humour and you've got stylistic but meaningless fun.

For the record, I'll be watching Bad Boys 3 as well with the same approach. Yeah Michael Bay deserves the scorn but his formula works and sometimes a good action movie is a tonic for the soul.
Michael bay isn’t directing BB3

Marriage Story - I really loved The Squid & The Whale, but didn't really enjoy The Meyerowitz Stories, so wasn't sure if I'd like this one. My wife watched it without me (maybe a good thing?) and said I probably wouldn't like it, so when I put it in tonight I wasn't really invested in it for the first little while. I found ScarJo's character really annoying and had to rewind her first scene with the lawyer because I'd tuned out completely. But for some reason I was still heartbroken seeing their relationship deteriorate further and further. It's probably because it's late and my wife is away with her family, but I got really choked up when Adam Driver was singing "Being Alive". God, I hope never to go through a complete relationship breakdown like that. Absolutely brutal. No winners. How does it happen? More importantly, how do you stop it from happening?

It all felt so real. Maybe too real. But what else could you possibly want from a movie than to feel it so deeply? I thought it was a great film. 9/10

Parasite: Finally got around to seeing it. Another very good Korean film (added to the long list of them) examining the class divide. Some stunning scenes like the flood scene really impressively made. 8/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jojo Rabbit - 9/10 Brilliant my pick of 2019

Alita Battle Angle - 7/10 fun and certainly a universe to build on. Hurt a little by the acting of one of the main cast.

Great - 4/10

The Gentlemen - 8/10 Standard Guy Ritchie english gangster shtick, quality enough without bringing anything new to the table.

I, Tonya - I liked the format of having several unreliable narrators - the husband, the mother, Tonya herself - all of whom were played well by their respective actors and actresses. Compelling movie that deserved the praise it received.

Also found it hard to believe the bodyguard was as dumb as that in real life, but the footage at the end proved it wasn't exaggerated.

Jumanji The Next Level - not too bad for a sequel. A bit same-same, but at least they made substantial tweaks.

Also saw the latest Star Wars. I know it's meant to be the last one in the existing trilogy trilogy (is there a word for it?) but I reckon Di$ney have left spots for more sequels in that canon to be made.

Next up might either be The Gentlemen (if only to use up Cinebuzz points before they expire) or Bombshell. They both look good.

Jumanji The Next Level - not too bad for a sequel. A bit same-same, but at least they made substantial tweaks.

Also saw the latest Star Wars. I know it's meant to be the last one in the existing trilogy trilogy (is there a word for it?) but I reckon Di$ney have left spots for more sequels in that canon to be made.

Next up might either be The Gentlemen (if only to use up Cinebuzz points before they expire) or Bombshell. They both look good.
I saw these two as well.

Jumanji 2 was ok. If u liked the first one you’ll like the sequel. Kevin Hart in particular was great.

Star Wars 9 was ok too. There was some predictably cliched moments that my missus pissed herself at which got me going too (but no one else in gold class laughed😳), and honestly it didn’t seem much different to a whole heap of other Star Wars/JJ Adams/Avengers Endgame? movies and I think, like Ep 8, I’ll forget what this was about pretty quickly. Except for the Sith hall statues and stuff, that was pretty cool. BUT it was ok. And Rey is great.

The Current Wars. The best movie I've seen this decade :)
The true story about the initial rollout of AC (Westinghouse) and DC (Edison) electricity in the US during the late 1800's. Cumberbatch was good and I'll watch anything with Michael Shannon in it.

Driven.
Another true story about John DeLorean (the guy who built the car in Back To The Future) and his interactions with a drug dealer in order to raise funds and keep his car company afloat. Really enjoyed it. Sudekis was very good.

Denmark.
A down and out loser in the UK, who decides he wants to commit a major crime in Denmark so that he can be sent to one of their prisons where they treat their inmates better than his dismal quality of life in the UK. Watchable, although a bit slow.

Marriage Story - I really loved The Squid & The Whale, but didn't really enjoy The Meyerowitz Stories, so wasn't sure if I'd like this one. My wife watched it without me (maybe a good thing?) and said I probably wouldn't like it, so when I put it in tonight I wasn't really invested in it for the first little while. I found ScarJo's character really annoying and had to rewind her first scene with the lawyer because I'd tuned out completely. But for some reason I was still heartbroken seeing their relationship deteriorate further and further. It's probably because it's late and my wife is away with her family, but I got really choked up when Adam Driver was singing "Being Alive". God, I hope never to go through a complete relationship breakdown like that. Absolutely brutal. No winners. How does it happen? More importantly, how do you stop it from happening?

It all felt so real. Maybe too real. But what else could you possibly want from a movie than to feel it so deeply? I thought it was a great film. 9/10

This 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back