Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go find something else to be mad about. Because signing your star to 7 yr deal aint it.

Who said I am angry. I don’t have a problem with the signing. Just don’t think he is the Messiah, and it could mean we lose other talent which may end up making us a weaker team overall.

Sorry for not being part of the cheer squad. Just being a realist.

Show me any team who had a Ruckman like Grundy, fullstop.

This whole ‘show me a premier with a premier ruckman in their side’ makes no sense to me. Brodie is not your ordinary ruckman. He is not like any other ‘premier ruckman’ to play this game.
Yes it’s a weak argument. Only 1 player can ruck. Plenty of midfielders, defenders and forwards in a team. Winning a premiership is not 1 player, whether it be 1 midfielder, 1 defender, 1 forward or the team’s ruckman. But having a great ruckman (who incidentally also plays like another midfielder), gives you as good a chance as any champion to win it.

Personally, I'm very happy to hear this, all the best to Brodie and glad he's secured his future as a Pie for life

Looking forward to seeing him go further and drive us to that next level in 2020

The devil will be in the detail on this one. On the surface I don’t like it (seriously he’s signed until he’s 33...), but if we’ve made it work to retain the other two I can accept that.
I agree that the devel is in the detail. My assumption is that we went up to 7 years becaus it it enables us to pay him less per year and thus we can fit the others in, so I'm happy. Hopefully it's not just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Our cap is clearly as tight as a drum. If a couple of blokes have bigger than expected years, things could get interesting.

Grundy is a footballer first and a ruckman second. Get that detail firmly implanted in your thinking.
Why are so many people negative, about locking in a wonderfully talented and durable player (touch wood). By the time he’s completed his third year of his new contract, $1,000,000 per year will be the median annual salary in the AFL.
Get a grip naysayers! You have to pay for quality.

I think someone made a comment on this but if Ned can fit the current squad under the current salary cap for the next 3 or 4 years then it doesnt matter which player gets what.
So you would let go any player that wanted more money they you wanted to offer?

You would not be Competing for Flags to many times with that Idea

well lets see if they keep the other freeagents...

Yes it’s a weak argument. Only 1 player can ruck. Plenty of midfielders, defenders and forwards in a team. Winning a premiership is not 1 player, whether it be 1 midfielder, 1 defender, 1 forward or the team’s ruckman. But having a great ruckman (who incidentally also plays like another midfielder), gives you as good a chance as any champion to win it.
Spot on.

So you would let go any player that wanted more money they you wanted to offer?

You would not be Competing for Flags to many times with that Idea

No you will not be competing for flags if you pay players more than you want to offer them. You are paying more than they are worth. Simply stupid.

What money and years would you have offered him?

What is your plan if he refused your offer?

Re aboive, Money into renting (average rucks) is dead money , put it in a house and live in it, sell when the times right.

lets talk about things we do know. The length of contract is 7 years and the money is supposedly about $7m. Grundy says that he loves the club. You would expect that Adelaide would need to offer significantly more to get him to change from a club where he is an All Australian....

So the collingwood people must have thought that Adelaide would pay $10 over 9 years or 7 years.....probably 7 years......so the question is whether they would have paid that price for a ruckman, irrespective of how good he is. Now Adelaide might have matched the $7m 7 year offer, but that couldnt be right because Grundy says that he loves the Pies and you would think he would need a significantly higher offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you will not be competing for flags if you pay players more than you want to offer them. You are paying more than they are worth. Simply stupid.

Largely academic argument.

The club offered a long duration so they did not have to pay overs to keep him.

Grundy has currency and the commercial reality of the situation is that we do not have a surplus of A grade ruckmen.

If you feel that we might have overcommitted I can accept that. I too would have preffered that Brodie accepted a 5 year gig.

If his contract is loaded more during the last 3 years a 7 year contract is not a bad play by the club.

lets talk about things we do know. The length of contract is 7 years and the money is supposedly about $7m. Grundy says that he loves the club. You would expect that Adelaide would need to offer significantly more to get him to change from a club where he is an All Australian....

So the collingwood people must have thought that Adelaide would pay $10 over 9 years or 7 years.....probably 7 years......so the question is whether they would have paid that price for a ruckman, irrespective of how good he is. Now Adelaide might have matched the $7m 7 year offer, but that couldnt be right because Grundy says that he loves the Pies and you would think he would need a significantly higher offer.
cheers for not answering either

do people on here just whinge about any topic just to be different , jesus

The alternate argument is we didn’t win with Grundy so probably good idea to try something better. Spend too much on your ruckman could end up being a mistake.

Tell me the last premiers that actually had the premier ruckman of the time in their side?
The premier ruckman has played for every premiership team...

It's a silly argument. When you look at the best players in the AFL - Fyfe, Danger, Martin, Cripps, you're looking at approx 2 flags between them in an accumulated 35 years of AFL(at a guess). Only one team wins the flag eeach year and more often than not it is won by a team without the best individual player.

Slightly bigger commitment from us than I’d have preferred but top quality assets often feel a bit that way. Just have to be optimistic we’re still breaking even on him in that last couple of years.

Either way, I don’t see how anyone can have a strong opinion on this without knowing how it’s structured, and how much TPP is likely to change over the duration of the contract

When was that? Certainly not 2010. Jolly was good but not the premier ruckman at the time. He proves you just need a decent ruckman, not the best.
He was one of the best. Certainly the beat we had since our last premiership ruck Monkey.

The talk of 7yrs worried me last year and I was against it.
Now that it’s done, I’m glad we kept him, (too bad if I’m not 😊).
He’s more than our ruckman.
He’s a massive part of the culture and our spiritual leader.
His dedication to improvement will and does inspire others IMO.

That is my point. Glad you agree.
Yes so it makes no sense arguing how important it is to have your best player in a particular position on the ground.

Of Grundy, JDG and Moore, there is nothing to suggest today that Grundy shouldn’t be on the largest contract.

Right now we know the length of the contract but we don’t know the particulars nor do we know how much he is actually getting paid. Initially it was reported he was happy with the $$ on offer which seemed to be around $850k pa. It was just the term. If he is getting less that $1m pa he is a bargain when you consider all the new contracts for the best players in the game over the past 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back