AFLW AFLW Opposition Observations

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much.
She couldn't get a kick.
As a 'marquee player' she was getting more than most, but didn't earn it.

And wasn't even a 'muck-in player', stayed very outside

If our midfield gets up then they won't hold our forwards. If we produce the same performance in the middle as last week then its going to be an all day struggle. Likely showers I'm reading.
Don't know about that, the GC backs seemed to hold up pretty well against GWS and on top of that both teams in the wet seemed to move the ball well up and down the ground and both looked quicker than us.
This is not a walkover by any means remembering that Richmond's backline is probably the worst in the comp right now.

Don't know about that, the GC backs seemed to hold up pretty well against GWS and on top of that both teams in the wet seemed to move the ball well up and down the ground and both looked quicker than us.
This is not a walkover by any means remembering that Richmond's backline is probably the worst in the comp right now.

Yeah hard to really assess one round down. Think GWS squandered a few opportunities that flattered the Suns a bit. Think we have a bit more class forward of centre. Suns were only able to get it inside their 50 eight times against an opposition well below the class of Carlton. I agree it definitely won't be a walkover but I don't think we will be as bad as Friday night. As for our backline I thought they stood up really well. 44 inside 50's is massive in AFLW. Going into the game I thought it would be our weakness but they performed better than i thought.

After Friday night I'm worried about midfield depth. We desperately need to get our hands on the ball more. I reserve my judgement on speed as whilst I agree other teams have more pace you can look much better through ball movement. We had none of that Friday.

Yeah hard to really assess one round down. Think GWS squandered a few opportunities that flattered the Suns a bit. Think we have a bit more class forward of centre. Suns were only able to get it inside their 50 eight times against an opposition well below the class of Carlton. I agree it definitely won't be a walkover but I don't think we will be as bad as Friday night. As for our backline I thought they stood up really well. 44 inside 50's is massive in AFLW. Going into the game I thought it would be our weakness but they performed better than i thought.

After Friday night I'm worried about midfield depth. We desperately need to get our hands on the ball more. I reserve my judgement on speed as whilst I agree other teams have more pace you can look much better through ball movement. We had none of that Friday.
It's easier to withhold the onslaught when you can have virtually the whole team down there, a lot of teams had the ball camped in their half of the ground during qtrs but couldn't score due to this. And you only have to go back a few weeks to that scratch match and only going by the scores the dogs demolished us which makes it worse in a scratch match. We couldn't score in that, we couldn't score against the blues yet both had a field day in front of the sticks.

Might just have to temper expectations a little and face up to the fact that for this year at least we might be the poorest of the newbies., IMO 3 wins would be a pass mark but as none of us can see into the future ( wish i could $$$$ ;) ) things can change.

I don't mind if mo hope lost her passion for the game and would rather munch carpet but plenty of people competing at the top level of the sport - both men and women - get paid * all.

About half of the Olympians we're going to see splashed all over our screens in the next few months will have scrimped their way to Tokyo and given up 4 years of their lives to do so.

If she wanted to make a fortune as a sportswoman she should have played tennis.

yes midfield depth big problem this first year, if Brennan and/or Conti get injured long term we'll struggle
midfield dominance and good clean ball movement is king (queen?) in the AFLW

It's easier to withhold the onslaught when you can have virtually the whole team down there, a lot of teams had the ball camped in their half of the ground during qtrs but couldn't score due to this. And you only have to go back a few weeks to that scratch match and only going by the scores the dogs demolished us which makes it worse in a scratch match. We couldn't score in that, we couldn't score against the blues yet both had a field day in front of the sticks.

Might just have to temper expectations a little and face up to the fact that for this year at least we might be the poorest of the newbies., IMO 3 wins would be a pass mark but as none of us can see into the future ( wish i could $$$$ ;) ) things can change.

Yes temper our expectations please everyone, as most teams have had 2-3 years experience ahead of us
All 4 newbies this year will struggle, no doubt about it

I don't mind if mo hope lost her passion for the game and would rather munch carpet but plenty of people competing at the top level of the sport - both men and women - get paid fu** all.

About half of the Olympians we're going to see splashed all over our screens in the next few months will have scrimped their way to Tokyo and given up 4 years of their lives to do so.

If she wanted to make a fortune as a sportswoman she should have played tennis.

There's a big difference though.

Most of the bodies that run most of the sports you see in the Olympics rely on Govt handouts. With the exception of a few sports and athlete's there is no money. The AFL have money to burn, can attract massive deals through sponsorships/broadcasters and can fund their competitions.

Last edited:
There's a big difference though.

Most of the bodies that run just most of the sports you see in the Olympics rely on Govt handouts. With the exception of a few sports and athlete's there is no money. The AFL have money to burn, can attract massive deals through sponsorships/broadcasters and can fund their competitions.
Yep
Alotta kids decide on their sports at 15 or thereabouts, thats when they realise how much they have to put in and alot of them realise they have to pay for extra coaching and the support they need to get to extra competitions to give em a chance at being identified and thats where womens footy could really take off. 16 teams and thats just short of 500 players with probably 150-200 new positions each year with turnover.
Compare that to the national soccer, I’d be surprised if theres 50 new positions available each year not to mention the amount of infrastructure and quality of the high preformance programs at the Football clubs.
You can’t fast track skills but I think the level is rising pretty quickly and with the Total Player Payments in AFLW growing from 8.1 mill this year to over 10 mill in 2022 for the same amount of players more teenagers will be prepared to risk it to try and make the level

Once the ball is in your defensive half a lot has to go right to get it out in the women’s comp, the ski
ls just aren’t there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OMG there is so much wrongness in this thread.

Supposed to be a thread about Oppo women players, but all I see is one guy saying that you can’t find a woman hot because she’s gay (WTF?), constant comments about sexism, comments about how women shouldn’t do their best to get paid as much as they can (like it’s going to have a negative effect on anyone posting here?)

Why does every thread about AFLW end up like this?

So question time, what’s with Carlton’s women’s team and their easy start of the season draw. Us last week and I think it’s St Kilda this week? Easiest start to the season ever! A grand finalist and they get two rookie teams one right after the other!

If that were us there’d be calls of #VICBIAS and there’s more than Richmond in the league AFL! ;)

So question time, what’s with Carlton’s women’s team and their easy start of the season draw. Us last week and I think it’s St Kilda this week? Easiest start to the season ever! A grand finalist and they get two rookie teams one right after the other!

If that were us there’d be calls of #VICBIAS and there’s more than Richmond in the league AFL! ;)

They have Pies this week but there is some truth in what you say.

They were Grand Finalists last year and they get scheduled Adelaide in R4 when everyone knows Erin Phillips won't be ready.

Meanwhile Richmond are a new team, just trying to find our way in the big wide world of AFLW and we get Adelaide R8 when Phillips will be ready to explode after being caged all season.

They have Pies this week but there is some truth in what you say.

They were Grand Finalists last year and they get scheduled Adelaide in R4 when everyone knows Erin Phillips won't be ready.

Meanwhile Richmond are a new team, just trying to find our way in the big wide world of AFLW and we get Adelaide R8 when Phillips will be ready to explode after being caged all season.
Lol my question was completely tongue in cheek and I just wanted a reason to use the #VICBIAS ;) hashtag.

Though I did genuinely think they had St Kilda and was invisioning them having a percentage of 500% plus. ;)

Erin Phillips is due back when Adelaide play us? That sucks. :(

Looks like the girls get to pay for our boys success this year. I feel for them. :(

thanks for letting me know. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back