Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Keays go? Anyone got stats from the trial game?
Only played the 2nd half, but if you voted on best players for the 2nd half alone, you be hard pressed to find many who wouldn't have put Kaeys in them. Runs real hard, generally pretty clean with disposal, always around the pill and has a noticeable first 10m burst.

He wasn't flawless, certainly made some errors. But I feel like there was plenty there to like.

Yes but when all the midfielders like Smith, Sloane and Seedsman coming back in, then Kaeys will likely need to be a Forward/Mid (the role that he dominated in the NEAFL by all reports).

And I think his DPP flexibility/experience would be looked at very favorably
I watched a lot of the Brisbane Lions NEAFL because of my interest in a couple of the lads from around these parts and Keays played almost exclusively up forward generally close to goal and played very, very little midfield from what I saw.. Their NEAFL side was stacked with mids that at different times had Corey Lyons, Rhys Mathieson, Ely Smith, Tom Berry, Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Hinge etc etc running through it.

It looked like the plan was to see if Keays would show enough up forward to retain him being a Lions Academy product as with their stacked midfield he was unlikely to get a shot in there. I guess when you've got Forwards like Charlie Cameron, Allen Christensen and Zorko likely to be playing more up forward late in his career Keays was seen as surplus to their needs. I think their loss could be our gain because at worst he's absolute A Grade mid/forward depth.

I watched a lot of the Brisbane Lions NEAFL because of my interest in a couple of the lads from around these parts and Keays played almost exclusively up forward generally close to goal and played very, very little midfield from what I saw.. Their NEAFL side was stacked with mids that at different times had Corey Lyons, Rhys Mathieson, Ely Smith, Tom Berry, Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Hinge etc etc running through it.

It looked like the plan was to see if Keays would show enough up forward to retain him being a Lions Academy product as with their stacked midfield he was unlikely to get a shot in there. I guess when you've got Forwards like Charlie Cameron, Allen Christensen and Zorko likely to be playing more up forward late in his career Keays was seen as surplus to their needs. I think their loss could be our gain because at worst he's absolute A Grade mid/forward depth.
Couldn't agree more, I think he's clearly a level above SANFL/NEAFL. I thought that well before we picked him up too (in fact i'm still flabbergasted we got him in the rookie draft). I hope he settles into our side and doesn't become just another AFC tweener player that can't cement a role!

Hey, who was missing from your first 22 team against Melbourne? (p.s. this isn't a my team is better than your team post - it is solely for Supercoach prep).

From what i could work out Walker, B. Smith, Hartigan, Riley Knight, Seedsman, Fogarty from best 22 didn't play, were there others?
Doedee, Mcasey.

Fair enough but even I don’t rate the Smurph above Jones who imho is a certainty for round one.

I agree that our under 23 players who are a lock for Round One are unlikely to play this week (unless they missed the Melbourne match). The only players under 23 who I think are certainties for Round One are Doedee (if available), Milera and Jones. Hopefully we can Fogarty and McAsey to the list after Saturday and McHenry, Butts, Himmelberg, Stengle, Murphy, Davis, Keays, Crocker and Frampton are all in the mix.

If any of our Kids are NOT selected this week (Jones, Butts, Himmelberg, Stengle, Murphy) then they are looking good for Round One.
... or injured.

Couldn't agree more, I think he's clearly a level above SANFL/NEAFL. I thought that well before we picked him up too (in fact i'm still flabbergasted we got him in the rookie draft). I hope he settles into our side and doesn't become just another AFC tweener player that can't cement a role!
Keays is, and always has been an inside mid.

Unfortunately he never really got a chance to play that role at AFL level.

We tried turning him in to a wing, then a small/medium forward.

His big problem was always a tendency to rush his disposals when he had time to make better decisions.

I feel sick using a Kane Cornes article to make a point about what I was thinking about after the game...

So basically he says Nicks has a few key stats that he cares about, time in possession, time in the forward half and scores from turn overs.

Then goes on to say that our short kicks in the back half were part of our game plan and relates to the time in possession stat, he is worried about us going into round 1 because we don't have the talent to execute it.

So I guess my question is, would we be willing to watch us play a game style that doesn't suit our current group this year, if it was the best way for us to develop the skills required to do it in two or three years time? Surely this is the best way to learn?

I think one criticism our supporters have often had is not having a game plan that suits the list, does that go out the window in year one of a rebuild?

I guess unlike Kane I'm not "worried" about round 1 but I think it's going to be an interesting year for us all and for me, hopefully the club has the strength and confidence to see out the plan over the next couple of years.

Watching the game again Atkins turnt the ball over so many times. Gets done holding the ball dropping sitters missing sitters I'm done with him.

Yeah but he had 522 metres gained and 9 score involvements both the most of any Crows player and went at 82%...

But I’ve never seen a player have more meaningless, complicating, iffy touches that actually ultimately end up in scoring chains of play, he’s one of the reason the teams disposals per goal are one of the highest in the league.

He must really be one of the best at having the ability to fool the stat sheet because a lot of the time you just look at his numbers and they usually look good despite him looking ordinary when watching the match.

Keays is, and always has been an inside mid.

Unfortunately he never really got a chance to play that role at AFL level.

We tried turning him in to a wing, then a small/medium forward.

His big problem was always a tendency to rush his disposals when he had time to make better decisions.
I agree, he's definitely a mid and that's what he was drafted on with his outstanding U18 Championships....I'm super confident he'll be a very good pick up for us and he'll certainly keep our current starting mids honest with him breathing down their neck for the opportunity.

Yeah but he had 522 metres gained and 9 score involvements both the most of any Crows player and went at 82%...

But I’ve never seen a player have more meaningless, complicating, iffy touches that actually ultimately end up in scoring chains of play, he’s one of the reason the teams disposals per goal are one of the highest in the league.

He must really be one of the best at having the ability to fool the stat sheet because a lot of the time you just look at his numbers and they usually look good despite him looking ordinary when watching the match.
Actually I reckon the other day's game was the most hardness at the contest I've ever seen from Rat against some very big bodied Melbourne mids, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hoping to see this appetite for the contest and get in the face of the oppo that they have been banging on about... Wilson was running around in circles (not sure he broke a sweat)
Polk ran around like a headless snake, no composure at all in any area of his game along with rubbish skills. The ball being run out of our forward line was as easy as you like other than a few great efforts from stengle and murph, not sure princess Gibbs is going to add much down back.
Let the rebuild begin...

MeaslySleepyInganue-max-1mb.gif

That’s an outstanding set up by Polholke. Avoided two tackles and then has the vision to hit Jones in full stride. The finish by Chance is all class
Polholke is an out and out inside mid, and it’s in this position where his career will thrive. Trouble is we are well served in this area, so opportunities may be limited
I think Myles has something to offer as this vision shows. Trouble is he may not get the chance

I feel sick using a Kane Cornes article to make a point about what I was thinking about after the game...

So basically he says Nicks has a few key stats that he cares about, time in possession, time in the forward half and scores from turn overs.

Then goes on to say that our short kicks in the back half were part of our game plan and relates to the time in possession stat, he is worried about us going into round 1 because we don't have the talent to execute it.

So I guess my question is, would we be willing to watch us play a game style that doesn't suit our current group this year, if it was the best way for us to develop the skills required to do it in two or three years time? Surely this is the best way to learn?

I think one criticism our supporters have often had is not having a game plan that suits the list, does that go out the window in year one of a rebuild?

I guess unlike Kane I'm not "worried" about round 1 but I think it's going to be an interesting year for us all and for me, hopefully the club has the strength and confidence to see out the plan over the next couple of years.
Thanks for summarising - I started reading it but then quit half way through.

I'm sure Kane won't mind

What was everyones thoughts on McAdam?
Looks classy... just needs to find more of the ball.

Was robbed of the 1st goal by a blind umpire.

Need to persist.

Short kicking through the back line and the inevitable turnovers is not the kind of footy I want to be watching. I would probably die of a heart attack.
We're at least looking to move the ball forwards though, which is a start. We'd waste a dozen possessions to eventually huge the boundary, hoping to unlock the corridor will give us a better chance at scoring if we can nail the kicks when we get an open player.

Short kicking through the back line and the inevitable turnovers is not the kind of footy I want to be watching. I would probably die of a heart attack.
I used to love watching Freo under Neishem... as an opposition supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back