Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Iceland has tested about 18,000 people ie about 5% of their population.

It might be for countries with at least 1 million people or some other qualifier.

I think we're definitely the best in the world for countries starting with "Aus" and ending in "ia"

(Take that Austria!)

Yes, Iceland has tested about 18,000 people ie about 5% of their population.

It might be for countries with at least 1 million people or some other qualifier.
To the best of my (Scomo's) knowledge, that's the qualifier.

The harder border closures are interesting after yesterday (or day before? I have no concept of days anymore) it was being touted that we couldn't become more isolated? Stances seem to be changing often

The harder border closures are interesting after yesterday (or day before? I have no concept of days anymore) it was being touted that we couldn't become more isolated? Stances seem to be changing often

Think McGowan and the government are realising we have a chance to become one of the first parts of the world to ride this out without draconian enforced lockdowns. We know that arrivals still remain our biggest source of new infections, so if that is completely cut out and our current measures are producing single digit rises in case numbers and if it's maintained it would be a model in COVID-19 management.

*crosses fingers more*

Last edited:

WA Premier today: We'll be turning WA into an island with an island.

WA Health Minister yesterday: Ultimately WA cannot become an island in a global community which has Covid-19.

Kane and I :think:

WA Premier today: We'll be turning WA into an island with an island.

WA Health Minister yesterday: Ultimately WA cannot become an island in a global community which has Covid-19.

Kane and I :think:

Think they've poked around at the models and realised the controlled herd immunity route wouldn't work in the long run, or it's still spreading too fast.

What is meant by 'hard border closure'?

No arrivals, full stop. Not even if you are from WA. Exceptions will of course apply in some circumstances but overall the arrivals into WA will slow to a trickle.

Think McGowan and the government are realising we have a chance to become one of the first parts of the world to ride this out without draconian enforced lockdowns. We know that arrivals still remain our biggest source of new infections, so if that is completely cut out and our current measures are producing single digit rises in case numbers and it's maintained it would be a model in COVID-19 management.

*crosses fingers more*

It's caused havoc for the mining industry. A lot of people who used to fly in from interstate or even out of Bali/Thailand/New Zealand have had to make arrangements to stay here locally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have misunderstood - see jacinda ardern - shes locked down the country - in a month with any luck they are finished with this s**t and back to work.
Get that myth out of your head.
I like JA, but NZ is in the same situation as Oz and will not be back at work in a month. The biggest advantage NZ has going forward is that it is smaller, more remote and more easily managed.

Australia infections per million people - 201
New Zealand infections per million people - 165 Not significantly less considering different start dates etc.
Remove the cruise ship direct and passed on totals and the Oz numbers drop to virtually the same.

As a comparison, some other infections per million are: Italy - 1829, Iceland - 3575, Spain - 2227, Switzerland - 2053, Germany - 931, USA - 651, Iran - 567 (probably much higher). See worldometers.info for more on rates

Now to ride this out as best we can until a vaccine is made and mass produced.
With varying infection rates across Australia, I can’t see interstate travel restrictions coming off any time soon (3-6 months). I think we can kiss goodbye to football season.

With varying infection rates across Australia, I can’t see interstate travel restrictions coming off any time soon (3-6 months). I think we can kiss goodbye to football season.
Agreed, these social distancing rules and travel restrictions will not end anytime soon. God speed scientists working on a vaccine.

Scrap the AFL for 2020. Run state leagues when each state deems viable to get going again. Eagles/Dockers players go back to WAFL club of origin for those who can, and a draft for the rest. Run comp.

Would be pretty epic, actually.

Would make sense, I've read there were a large amount of frequent travellers between Italy and China and it is speculated that unknown asymptomatic transmission was already happening, or that infections and deaths were incorrectly attributed as due to the flu or pneumonia (as it was flu season when the outbreak first escalated).

But then you have Spain which is also in the same boat as Italy - some speculate a Champions League match between Italian and Spanish sides, where the Madrid-based club had a large travelling contingent, 'seeded' the initial Spanish outbreak.
It was the Atalanta - Valencia match in Milan on 19 Feb. 2500 spaniards travelled and fully 1/3 of the Bergamo province population were in the stadium. That province and the greater Lombardy region exploded with cases just after, with the first cases 2 days after the match. So lots of possible unknowing spreaders at the match.

Get that myth out of your head.
I like JA, but NZ is in the same situation as Oz and will not be back at work in a month. The biggest advantage NZ has going forward is that it is smaller, more remote and more easily managed.

Australia infections per million people - 201
New Zealand infections per million people - 165 Not significantly less considering different start dates etc.
Remove the cruise ship direct and passed on totals and the Oz numbers drop to virtually the same.

As a comparison, some other infections per million are: Italy - 1829, Iceland - 3575, Spain - 2227, Switzerland - 2053, Germany - 931, USA - 651, Iran - 567 (probably much higher). See worldometers.info for more on rates
The big difference being with total lockdown they will get a much lower community transmission rate

within 14 days youve either infected your flatmate / wife kids etc and 14 days after that they are either in hospital / sick (isolated) or carriers but isolated till they arent - and you then have a very low infected rate amongst your community.

ive spend since around january devouring every single thing i can read about managing epidemics - you wont find an epidemiologist that recommends more rather than less contact.

get the numbers down to a very manageable number then its a lot easier to contact trace when theres flare ups

especially if you maintain social distancing after the isolation period.

we on the other hand are still transmitting through community transmission. We have in our favour apocryphal evidence that the virus doesnt like heat - we have that advantage compared to nz - but there would be thousands of people who work at woolies and elsewhere who are asymptomatic carriers spreading this thing unawares. Everything they touch is a potential viral source that social distancing cant avoid.

I think we're definitely the best in the world for countries starting with "Aus" and ending in "ia"

(Take that Austria!)
Sounds about right. The UAE have ~ 10 million people and they passed the 1% mark more than 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back