Society/Culture Life after Covid-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me thinks people will take stock of how fragile our society really is in terms of health and finances.

But that part of me is drowned out by remembering we responded to a global pandemic by buying up all the toilet paper unnecessarily and then all flocking to Bondi Beach.

Once the dust settles people will be rushing to book cheap flights to Bali and borrowing as much as they can to buy s**t they don't need.

the return of inflation

china vs usa cold war.

high marginal tax rate rising to 60 percent within 5 years.

Inflation back is a good thing

China USA cold war has been cooking for years now

Won't be income tax. It will be IMO combo of a gst rise (and possible removal of exemptions), and a carbon tax. A carbon tax is basically a consumption tax, and it's a way to get the alp and greens on board.

the return of inflation

china vs usa cold war.

high marginal tax rate rising to 60 percent within 5 years.
If Trump somehow remains in power he will be looking at China for a scapegoat for the virus mess, so yes a cold war between them a possibility.

Cash to go. Cashless society now with the excuse it is unhygienic. Any descent results in a fine where your cash/assets are stripped.
There's no reason why they couldn't market note accepting machines at the checkout. Put the money in nobody touches it, and it could be cleaned in the device.

Part of me thinks people will take stock of how fragile our society really is in terms of health and finances.

But that part of me is drowned out by remembering we responded to a global pandemic by buying up all the toilet paper unnecessarily and then all flocking to Bondi Beach.

Once the dust settles people will be rushing to book cheap flights to Bali and borrowing as much as they can to buy s**t they don't need.
I don't think so. People will be scared to spend money. It will take a while before confidence settles in again. I think people will be more concerned about making sure they have enough food and supplies for the next crisis.

Agree with work from home, disagree on handshakes. Think they'll come back fairly soon as they're too ingrained as a social interaction.

• Cruise ships will be seen as floating prisons of filth for many years to come - expect numerous cruise companies will go bust.
  • Preppers becomes more of a thing. Anti-vaxxers become less of a thing
  • Consumer spending on non-essentials will be very slow to recover. If people are forced to live a fairly minimalist lifestyle over the next few months, don't expect them to suddenly balloon their discretionary spending while the economy is weak.
  • If this drags on for months, I expect most incumbent governments to lose power. Even if this is the 100% correct approach to containing the virus, people's quality of life is being significantly degraded, and they'll look to somebody to blame. Governments are an easy scapegoat.
In times of crisis, the popularity of incumbent governments usually increases. They've never had an easier time to find a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

I also disagree with COVID-19 leading to a reduction in anti-vaxxers. Why do you think that?

The rest I agree with. Some good points there.

Inflation back is a good thing

China USA cold war has been cooking for years now

Won't be income tax. It will be IMO combo of a gst rise (and possible removal of exemptions), and a carbon tax. A carbon tax is basically a consumption tax, and it's a way to get the alp and greens on board.
I can't see Scomo reintroducing a carbon tax. That would be political suicide for a LNP leader, wouldn't it?

A GST increase has a high probability though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The birth rate in 2020 to be the lowest on record.
I don't see much change in 2020 birth rates given conceptions after March generally won't be a factor. 2021 birth rates will be interesting when you consider couples have more time together at home and not much to do for fun other than bump uglies.

There's these things called condoms. People don't want to make babies in times of economic uncertainty and financial hardship.
Being alienated from the daily grind and facing existential threats might make people start to think about children - but you're probably right.

In times of crisis, the popularity of incumbent governments usually increases. They've never had an easier time to find a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

I also disagree with COVID-19 leading to a reduction in anti-vaxxers. Why do you think that?

The rest I agree with. Some good points there.

In a short-term crisis, you are correct. If this drags on for many more months though, I think patience and goodwill begin to run out. Especially once the economic harm sets in, the discontent stemming from that has to go somewhere, and I disagree that something as invisible and vague as Covid-19 would last as a scapegoat. Politicians are easier targets, though they could possibly deflect it towards China.

Vaccination rates are typically lowest in wealthier, well-educated communities in Australia - those that have never had experience of anything worse than a flu season. The Covid-19 pandemic is a far-reaching enough health scare that it should make a lot of those people reconsider.

In a short-term crisis, you are correct. If this drags on for many more months though, I think patience and goodwill begin to run out. Especially once the economic harm sets in, the discontent stemming from that has to go somewhere, and I disagree that something as invisible and vague as Covid-19 would last as a scapegoat. Politicians are easier targets, though they could possibly deflect it towards China.

Vaccination rates are typically lowest in wealthier, well-educated communities in Australia - those that have never had experience of anything worse than a flu season. The Covid-19 pandemic is a far-reaching enough health scare that it should make a lot of those people reconsider.
The Chinese government will prove to be a very easy and valid target in my opinion. I expect Trump will be re-elected through focusing his attacks on China.

Anti-vaccination ideology is an unfounded conspiracy theory and I think we'll see a rise in alternative ideologies as a result of COVID-19, which will lead to more anti-vaxxers. That's the way I see it anyway. Time will tell.

• More people will switch to plant based diets.
  • Oil demand slow to recover, might not recover fully if electric vehicles make ground, or when prices spike again.
  • Handshake replaced by fist bump.
  • Distrust of China and Chinese products, particularly foods, to persist for a few years at least.
  • Increase in telecommutes, as work from home portals remain useful beyond initial implementation.
  • NBN to be fully rolled out, fibre to the premises.
  • Anti-vaxx movement ruined.
  • The effect on the economy will convince governments that it's in our financial as well as health interest to invest more in vaccine and antibiotic development.
  • More people will want off-grid solar, rainwater tanks, and other sustainability modules.
  • More bidet installations.
A lot of unknowns. If people do wfh and chose to live in regional centres or on the coast, we will see a lot of cities develop. Real estate in capital cities will plummet. More people could own property. Less cars on the road, more money to spend somewhere.

• I expect a strong response in the next two years to seriously tackle both Cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes. WE have seen the cost is too high NOT to act.
Let me know what you think
Nothing will change on this. Our lifestyles are so far away from our biology. The healthy person is almost an outlier.

One thing that absolutely needs reformation is Property. The reason people and business are going under is the sky high rates of price and rent.

May be good for some but in times of emergency we can't be giving subsidies for people to own 3, 4 or 5 properties and locking everyone else. It is an absolute albatross that hangs on the economic and social neck of this country. If everything else is burnt to the ground than that should as well.

I don't see much change in 2020 birth rates given conceptions after March generally won't be a factor. 2021 birth rates will be interesting when you consider couples have more time together at home and not much to do for fun other than bump uglies.

Both birth and divorce rates will sky rocket.

Interesting thou as for the singles no one can go out and meet. Once the restricitions are lifted expect a second wave/marriage boom 9-24 months after the first.

I can't see Scomo reintroducing a carbon tax. That would be political suicide for a LNP leader, wouldn't it?

A GST increase has a high probability though.

Been itching for years to do it. But if businesses are failing a GST increase makes little sense as it costs the government money. GST isn't the honey pot many think it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back