Society/Culture Life after Covid-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Blokes at the footy are the worst. Take a piss and then drink piss all with the same bacteria.
Woah, hold on a second.

I don't have corona on my dick, I'll wash my hands before preparing a meal but let's not go overboard here.

2. Whereas the 2008 GFC resulted in a growth in anti-establishment politics (Trump, Brexit), the polling showing a high level of trust in government during this crisis may result in increasing support for moderate, establishment politics. May also be linked to the first point about how governments come out of this crisis.
That happened 5+ years afterwards.

Inflation back is a good thing

China USA cold war has been cooking for years now

Won't be income tax. It will be IMO combo of a gst rise (and possible removal of exemptions), and a carbon tax. A carbon tax is basically a consumption tax, and it's a way to get the alp and greens on board.
Could you see a wealth tax as being part of the mix?

Possibly, but I'm yet to see a viable practical option other than death duties (which taxes a couple of generations to work, so too slow)

If this goes much longer don't see how things get back to normal. This has opened up a huge chasm in society between various groups and the lack of cohesion, a degree of selfishness and people's true perspectives are being ripped open.
There are just too many differences within society to ever be a true cohesive unit. We might even end up further down a US path of individualism, fringe groups yet greater police presence.

Women love to shop, bricks & mortar, its been challenged by cheaper prices on the net, this rejig of the market has financial & social implications & its got a way to go ......

Retail was already struggling. The internet is decimating the tax base.

I would be amazed if there wasnt a worldwide push for a big internet tax.

How would it work?

Consideration of a probate tax would get my support.

CAUTION:
Kerry Packer made this point on taxation before a Senate committee & its applicable today:
..... if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read, because as a government, I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra!"

Hopefully health and education professionals get the recognition and wages they deserve.

Why are we meant to respect the education profession? They are lucky they dont have performance related pay.

Australian school teachers are among the highest paid in the OECD, earning 22 to 36 per cent more than the average – a finding that comes just after NAPLAN results showed reading, writing and grammar scores have fallen in the past 10 years, and international PISA results in science, maths and reading have collapsed since 2000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we meant to respect the education profession? They are lucky they dont have performance related pay.

Australian school teachers are among the highest paid in the OECD, earning 22 to 36 per cent more than the average – a finding that comes just after NAPLAN results showed reading, writing and grammar scores have fallen in the past 10 years, and international PISA results in science, maths and reading have collapsed since 2000.
Demographic factors are the cause of this (worldwide).

There is an internet tax in Australia already- it's called the GST and it's been low-cost online sales from overseas suppliers since 2018. It was supposed to help the retail industry which is why Harvey Norman and other large retailers were lobbying for it, but it (unsurprisingly) hasn't worked as intended, because it's obviously still cheaper and way easier to buy electronic goods from a kid in China via ebay than leave the house.

Rent is as big an issue for retailers as well IMO.

There is an internet tax in Australia already- it's called the GST and it's been low-cost online sales from overseas suppliers since 2018. It was supposed to help the retail industry which is why Harvey Norman and other large retailers were lobbying for it, but it (unsurprisingly) hasn't worked as intended, because it's obviously still cheaper and way easier to buy electronic goods from a kid in China via ebay than leave the house.

Rent is as big an issue for retailers as well IMO.

Maybe I should have been clearer, it will have to be way above the GST rate. Consider Harvey Norman for example. They pay rates, super, corporations tax etc and rent to their landlords ie super funds. Their employees pay tax.

What does Amazon pay in Oz? I assume if like everywhere else its close to zero.

Its an obvious thing to do and has already been talked about.

The governments build a lot of the internet infrastructure.
Video Streaming services get a free ride.
Internet tax on goods is not really applicable though, no different from mail order catalogs.

None of the top performing kids at my school had ambitions or went on to be teachers. Needs a change up.

Maybe I should have been clearer, it will have to be way above the GST rate. Consider Harvey Norman for example. They pay rates, super, corporations tax etc and rent to their landlords ie super funds. Their employees pay tax.

What does Amazon pay in Oz? I assume if like everywhere else its close to zero.

Its an obvious thing to do and has already been talked about.

Someone makes the goods, someone ships the goods, someone has a shop where you buy them.
Retailers have enjoyed massive margins in the past.
They proceed to stock less items, and hold less stock. Their sales people have less expertise than ever.

Why do they deserve the protection manufacturers didn't get?

None of the top performing kids at my school had ambitions or went on to be teachers. Needs a change up.

My daughter has not long finished school and is studying a degree.
She describes the system through public schools as.
Pass year 12, have a year off , because most people don' t have marks good enough to get in anywhere.
After a year off sit a test to get into teaching , much easier than year 12.
Fail the teaching course, because its pretty hard, and these people didn't even do well in year 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back