Who’s Richmond’s best kick

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Now this ain’t easy , prob a few dynamics here . Long , short , ball flight

Houli has textbook technique, ball pieces through the air with great depth , accuracy solid
Dusty , great technique, long , accuracy OK
Shorty , ditto
Jack super clever long and short

If I had to put my life on a Tiger working through traffic , steadying and dropping it onto a 5c piece , there’s one man :::: Stacky

Houli has textbook technique, ball pieces through the air with great depth , accuracy solid
Shorty , ditto

If I had to put my life on a Tiger working through traffic , steadying and dropping it onto a 5c piece , there’s one man :::: Stacky
Not sure why Shorts on the list.Long kick yes but apart from that very iffy.
For precision Dusty hands down.
The man of the moment Pickett i'd like to see abit more of but i suspect he's not to shabby either.

Not sure why Shorts on the list.Long kick yes but apart from that very iffy.
For precision Dusty hands down.
The man of the moment Pickett i'd like to see abit more of but i suspect he's not to shabby either.
Not sure precision goes with Dusty’s kicking , watch a little closer . A precise kick Like never *s up , no way can u say dusty never flunks a pass , that’s bs . He’s a thumping kick yes

Not sure precision goes with Dusty’s kicking , watch a little closer . A precise kick Like never fu**s up , no way can u say dusty never flunks a pass , that’s bs . He’s a thumping kick yes
His flunks are him just being a tad lazy.

Whatever it is still fairly regular , we just overlook them coz when he has 18+ pretty damaging ones , you can forgive a couple a stuff ups , he’s not precision though, baker a good call, rarely wastes one
No player goes at 100% kicking efficiency (Unless you ask Dangerflop).
But with ball in hand Dusty is our most effective imo.

Dusty is the most damaging kick, can open up a game like few in history. Has a tendency to shank a few tho.

Jack is an unbelievable field kick on both feet.

Cotchin and Edwards similar to dusty but only over 20-30m, and like Dusty can shank a few.

Baker is a great kick, with Houli and Vlastuin off the HBF. Great field kicks but probably don’t bite off the impossible kick a Dusty/Shedda/Cotch would.

Stack looks special with his kicking and moving through a pack.

Lynch I reckon is our best set shot kick, especially now Towner has left.

Plenty of others are usually good kicks (or at least play within their limits) too, Rioli, Astbury, Grimes, Prestia, Caddy (might pip lynch in set shots), Graham, Nank and Pickett.

Shorty , ditto

wow your not talking about the Short floaters and panic kicks that happen more often than not obviously.
Houli is also prone to the panic kicks and only has one side.

Sam Mitchell wasnt a long hard kick but he made good decisions with ball in hand he also found ways to buy time to allow himself to make good decisions.
So what is a good kick, imo it has many components and in many ways the most important is decision making and composure.

wow your not talking about the Short floaters and panic kicks that happen more often than not obviously.

Sam Mitchell wasnt a long hard kick but he made good decisions with ball in hand he also found ways to buy time to allow himself to make good decisions.
So what is a good kick, imo it has many components and in many ways the most important is decision making and composure.
Prob the goals from outside 50 ,Refer 3 v Coll, or the left footer v PA to seAl the game , they look like no lie floaters too me

Whats your thoughts on edwards kicking and decision making these days santa?

Agree with all names mentioned in serious posts above, more or less.

One worth talking about a bit that Calcium Man briefly mentioned above is Nankervis. He is a really sound kick for a ruckman, in fact, I am struggling to think of a ruckman who is a better kick. His set kick to goal in the dying minutes of the VFL Qualifying Final v Bombers 2019 in very tricky conditions was really good. He is a good short pass as well, not something you would be comfortable watching most ruckman do. Just has a very tidy left foot.

One not yet mentioned, Jack Ross may be a good up and comer with his kicking.

Not sure we have a clear stand out best kick. Some of our more precise kicks are not as penetrating and some of our more penetrating are not as precise. We have some pretty workmanlike players like Prestia and Lambert who don’t look great when kicking but still largely get the job done.

I don’t think Cotchin is a great kick generally, but then in the middle of a pack lying on his back with one arm fending off about three players trying to tackle him, from that position I would defy anyone to get it done by foot as well as he does.

Back