Scandal Dani Laidley Arrested - Leave the Tasteless Jokes at the Door When Entering

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect this guy might not have been the most suitable candidate:

"Victoria Police has defended the actions of a protective services officer (PSO) who accidentally fired his gun on his first day on the job protecting Melbourne's railway stations."

Just a desk pop at the railway station. No biggie.

Might need CGI for Dennis Hopper too given he's only been in the ground for 10 ******* years

Yep, I know, but who else can capture Laidley’s classic pseudo-emaciated look?! 😀
Ok, I guess Bale as Laidley then?
(Hopper looked deceased in some roles anyway. When he was here mid-70s to film Mad Dog Morgan, some of the Aus crew who partied very hard couldn’t believe he was still alive after seeing his on-set/off-camera substance intake, let alone what he indulged in off-set.)

Supreme Leader Scone

In all those films, every time a character says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this...” they’re looking off-camera at a tray of scones spread only with cream. It’s why Guinness and Cushing insisted on being written out of later films... an English ac-tor can only take so much.

The reporting on the Dean Laidley arrest has been been woeful, even by the AFL media's usual woeful standards.

Despite what you might read in article after article bemoaning how hard life is for ex-AFL coaches, he isn't the victim. He has been charged with various serious offences.

Someone else is the victim.
While yes he has been charged with stalking and breaching an intervention order, absolutely no one is privy to the exact manner in which these things played out. He may have been out the back yard of his exes house, smashing in windows trying to get in, or he may have been sat out of the front, crying his eyes out, bemoaning a lost love. Not all acts that fall under the same charge are equal.

For those who are interested here is the court dates. Mention set down for 11 May. 'Application' set down for that day also, I assume that would be a Bail Application... I think it is more likely that he didn't apply for bail in the first place rather than had 'bail refused'. I think the Vicpol system that had him labelled as "bail refused" was in error or an inadequacy in their software.

Either way, everyone will know a whole lot more on 11 May and anything before is complete conjecture.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.48.09 am.png

Last edited:
I beg to differ I never see it in any sentence remarks throughout my work.
The term is "extra-curial punishment". Perhaps you have never seen it in your "work" because you have never dealt with a public figure whose reputation has been demolished. It was a consideration in Pell's sentencing

Kezza86 said:
It has been confirmed he has been charged with a major indictable offence.
Where?
Kezza86 said:
Having a drug addiction means you need to support your addiction somehow. Specific charge has not been announced but it’s not hard to put one and two together.
Ok.

I think you might have put one and two together and got a million.

Laidley's arrest imo is mundane, we see breaches of family violence orders by people who are messed up on drugs and who might be running off the rails every day. It isn't even shocking he was arrested in drag, I really don't think anybody cares about what he was wearing the bigger news was that his mug shot landed on the front page.

I come off the crime board so I get it that I might have a slightly different perspective on this.
Where is responsibility of the Herald Sun to protect DL's privacy? They should be sued as well, but ofcourse they will just say doing their job.

No, actually, it hasn’t been lost on anyone except those who lack basic reading comprehension. And anyone with the basic ability to process the notion that someone who has been alleged to have committed a crime (currently innocent) has had his privacy absolutely demolished by a corrupt organisation and their friends at News Ltd.
Correct currently innocent, but he is not charged with dressing in drag. The copper who released that photograph made a colossal error of judgment. Why? You would have to ask him. As a consequence he is going to lose his livelihood over a stupid mistake. 6 or 7 years of putting his life on the line everyday, and this is how they reward him. He is the only person on the planet that has made a mistake, so he deserves to be fired. Public servants allow 2700 people off the Ruby princess and 660 people get infected. Nobody will lose their job, even though people died. Cluster of Covid in Vic western suburbs missed by the bureaucrats and suddenly there are 17 new cases. Nobody will lose their job. Public servant compared Covid to Captain Cook and again nothing to answer. People convicted of bashing people every day walk free from courts with bonds etc, but a copper who made a stupid mistake deserves to lose his livelihood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a guy with 7 years of AFL Coaching wage get so low that he has to resort to drug trafficking? Similar accusations were thrown at Bomber Thompson. They both would have earned millions in the AFL.
I mean, guys that earn millions may also spend millions, and not manage their funds very well along the way for various reasons.

And I guess on a lesser scale It's like the players hitting up Centrelink during the pandemic. Some of them probably earn enough that if they were spending money like Joe Blow Welfare down the road they would probably have enough savings to not go near handouts, but a lot of them have money put into new cars, new houses etc. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just the nature of money. You have lots of it, probably more likely to spend lots of it.

The stingiest people I know are the wealthiest people I know.
True, met a few of those kinds myself, its the "should be rich but aren't, people" I guess I'm referring to.

Correct currently innocent, but he is not charged with dressing in drag. The copper who released that photograph made a colossal error of judgment. Why? You would have to ask him. As a consequence he is going to lose his livelihood over a stupid mistake. 6 or 7 years of putting his life on the line everyday, and this is how they reward him. He is the only person on the planet that has made a mistake, so he deserves to be fired. Public servants allow 2700 people off the Ruby princess and 660 people get infected. Nobody will lose their job, even though people died. Cluster of Covid in Vic western suburbs missed by the bureaucrats and suddenly there are 17 new cases. Nobody will lose their job. Public servant compared Covid to Captain Cook and again nothing to answer. People convicted of bashing people every day walk free from courts with bonds etc, but a copper who made a stupid mistake deserves to lose his livelihood.

A delightful display of reductio ad absurdum. You're grouping highly complex and unique situations - being managed in an ad hoc fashion - with violent criminal convictions and comparing them all with a blatant, egregious and singular "mistake" by a police officer. I don't need to point out all the obvious fallacies and lack of appreciation for nuance in those broad situations housed within your reasoning (I would be here for a while).

However, I will take 30 seconds to point a couple out; there is currently a special inquiry into the management of the Ruby Princess and so it's a premature conclusion to state "nobody will lose their job". It is impossible to know with any real certainty if someone has, did or will lose their job as a result of that. Secondly, you make generalistic and factually incorrect comments about "people convicted of bashing people every day walk free from courts with bonds etc" yet when this assertion is challenged it has no basis in evidence or in reality.

Last edited:
For those who are interested here is the court dates. Mention set down for 11 May. 'Application' set down for that day also, I assume that would be a Bail Application... I think it is more likely that he didn't apply for bail in the first place rather than had 'bail refused'. I think the Vicpol system that had him labelled as "bail refused" was in error or an inadequacy in their software.

Either way, everyone will know a whole lot more on 11 May and anything before is complete conjecture.

View attachment 870912

Do police not have some discretion on granting bail. If you have no criminal record and get arrested for having a personal use amount of marijuana, do the police not have the power to release you? I thought this was called something like police bail. It would seem logical that any discretion they have to release someone would be removed depending on criminal history, existing bail conditions broken or severity of crime. That would be what I’d think the bailed denied would relate to. But, I’m guessing here.

What would happen (hypothetically) if Dean Laidley or one of his family members (like one of his kids) commits suicide over the photos being leaked by the Senior Constable ? You still don’t think he should be fire

Now no one is saying that the other examples of what the other people you have listed in your rant are right (although I see no real problem with the Vic Health Minister comparing the Coronavirus to Captain Cook arriving in Australia, from a certain point of view) but police officers (rightly or wrongly) need to be held to a higher standard of ethics and behaviour than the rest of us.

This case also affects members of the LGBT and Transgender community, who had been named and shamed for their lifestyle for decades.

Yes, I too am angry at the soft serve magistrates who are far too lenient on serious offenders like rapists etc, but what occurred here was a clear violation of civil/human rights, and hence why all the controversy and why VicPol is conducting its own investigation and review (for all we know, the idiot(s) involved May not lose their jobs)

View attachment 870912

mag can hear warrant applications also- likely in this case- to search his premises and any communicable devices- so not necessarily bail app.

what we do know he was/is currently on bail- one of his charges is related to committing an indictable offence on bail.

AVOs are not handed out willy nilly.

Do police not have some discretion on granting bail. If you have no criminal record and get arrested for having a personal use amount of marijuana, do the police not have the power to release you? I thought this was called something like police bail. It would seem logical that any discretion they have to release someone would be removed depending on criminal history, existing bail conditions broken or severity of crime. That would be what I’d think the bailed denied would relate to. But, I’m guessing here.

Police also have the discretion to give you a warning, or to look the other way for minor stuff. Or to not strip search a minor for buying a festival ticket.

Correct, could have been released on summons from the police station as opposed to put on remand.

mag can hear warrant applications also- likely in this case- to search his premises and any communicable devices- so not necessarily bail app.

what we do know he was/is currently on bail- one of his charges is related to committing an indictable offence on bail.

AVOs are not handed out willy nilly.

That is true, I did state I was making an assumption. I still think its more likely to be a bail application but of course its just conjecture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back