Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If the AFL gets to a point where the umpire calls time off and a break for a few minutes of ads each quarter when the clock says 2:00 then we are doomed.
It won't happen, AFL is a completely different game to the NFL which is centred around individual specific plays. AFL game is relatively continuous.

And teams started killing the clock by causing repeat boundary throw-ins and ball-ups which is why they went to 20 minutes with time-on included for stoppages

This is true, but since then deliberate out of bounds is paid a hell of a lot more and umpires can easily pay more holding the balls etc.

You mean like the NFL?
Couldn't believe upon first attending a few games (when I lived in the US years ago) how scripted the on field play was for TV commercial breaks? About every 10 minutes they stop play for 2 minutes of commercials - it's a bit bizzare and takes a while to get used to if you've never experienced it...

Related, but slightly off topic, rumour has it that Foxtel/Sports live game broadcasts won't be 'Ad free' for much longer as it simply can't afford to given their ongoing operational losses...

FYI, I'm not convinced shorter 16m AFL quarters will reduce injuries - however it would be interesting to see stats, if available, on how many players suffer an injury in the last 4 minutes of any quarter...?

They'll just go harder knowing they only need to do it for 16 mins and not 20 mins.

Give 'em 16 min quarters, 6 on the interchange bench and unlimited interchanges and then I can find something else to do with my time.

With media outlets baulking at signing a 2 year extension and the fact that the media rights aren't up for renewal until the end of 2022, the timing might be terrible for both the AFL and the players.

In the wake of COVID-19 some the powers that be may be in for a shock with a change in peoples' viewing habits and their absolute devotion to the game wavering. After 40+ years of attending and watching games, I'm not particularly missing it and am not that interested in the game with no supporters.

TV chiefs weigh in on future of shorter quarters
HERE TO STAY? The future of shorter AFL quarters will figure in negotiations over the next broadcast deal, with TV bosses to have an important say on whether the time limit stays at 16 minutes beyond 2020.

LOL this is just embarrassing

They want them back out to 20mins + time-on, players want shorter. No doubt money will win.

Play everyone once is fine. I see no reason for shorter quarters other than broadcasters and players trying to push their agenda.
I want the teams that play the best football to be the teams that win, not fittest team. The longer the game, the more emphasis is placed on fitness to the detriment of skills. As it stands the last quarter of most games has become a war of attrition and the skills become lamentable, hardly the stuff on which to showcase the sport.

I want the teams that play the best football to be the teams that win, not fittest team. The longer the game, the more emphasis is placed on fitness to the detriment of skills. As it stands the last quarter of most games has become a war of attrition and the skills become lamentable, hardly the stuff on which to showcase the sport.
Executing under fatigue at the end of a game is a skill in itself and it is what elevates the best players.

Granted, but how often do we see the game reduced to static, chip and mark affair while players try an collect their breath?

Thats not why it happens though, its coached to retain the ball, take the sting out of the game at certain points. Not because players are struggling as a collective.

Granted, but how often do we see the game reduced to static, chip and mark affair while players try an collect their breath?
It's not for that. The slow play just allows a team more control over the game. Generally it's used when a team doesn't necessarily want to score themselves but rather wants to make sure the opponent does not. When the leading team does it to ice a game, it obviously wrecks the game, but when a team does it to stop an opposition run on, it prevents the game from becoming a blowout and turns what would've been a boring finish into something worth watching.

Aaah, the point. Remind me again?

You argument about less injuries is ridiculous. Of course there will be less injuries if there is less game time. If I drive my car less I am less likely to have an accident.

That doesn't make the game a better spectacle, nor does it provide the fans value for their money. One of the great things about this sport is that it relies on endurance. Shortening the game takes an important weapon away from a great many players, their running power.

I can't be buggered paying over $2K a year in membership and match day add-ons to watch a little over an hour of football. And I am pretty certain that I won't be the only one. Food and drink vendors at the stadium won't exactly be pleased either. Not only because the less time a patron spends in the stadium, the less they spend but this will be amplified by fewer people being prepared to wait in a beer or food queue during a break as they are going to sacrifice watching too much of the game in pursuit of a pie or a beer.

But it will please the networks, the advertisers and people with limited attention spans like Gerard Whately and yourself. The AFL is hell bent on turning what used to be a great sport into T-20 Football for the suckers who can't take their eyes off their mobile phone screens for minutes at a time.

Last edited:
Essendon under Sheedy used to give away 15m penalties as a tactic, as a result the league introduced the 50m penalty.

They'll always find a way to kill the clock.

It sounds like there will be reserves 'scratch' games. why not use these games to try funky rules?

Biggest fallacy of all time by heavy hitters like Hutchie is that America is best and we need to copy yanks to 'keep up with times'.

This is utter horse s**t.
Our culture is thankfully vastly different to American culture.

People like Hutchie have a vested interest in two things :

1. Money
2. Advertising

They then try and bully fans to think this is 'progress'.

Nobody is fooled by this bullshit anymore.

Exactly. I love some American sports (NFL in particular) and there are some things they do well that we should and have learnt from (salary cap, draft etc)

But we are a unique culture and we don't have to copy everything they do in the name of capitalism. Every agenda they push is to feed the industry, they need to make sure they keep the essence of the game intact otherwise people will turn away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's been the case for 100 years. The teams that can run out the game and whose skills stand up when fatigued are the best teams.

Shortening quarters will lead to the teams who can push back to block space and score on fast breaks winning rather than the best teams. It will become even more of a defensive coaches game than it is now because games won't open up at the end of quarters/matches.

Personally I'd like to see a reduction in players on the ground and interchange benches but quarters should remain the same length.

They want them back out to 20mins + time-on, players want shorter. No doubt money will win.

I don't think so, TV broadcasters are one of the main ones who have been pushing for shorter quarters for years. They want games to fit in 2hr TV slots so they can have back to back games and night games finishing earlier. This will allow them to schedule more games on Thurs/Mon nights and wouldn't surprise me if they pushed for Sunday nights as well. They would also look to have double-header Friday night games.

I don't think so, TV broadcasters are one of the main ones who have been pushing for shorter quarters for years. They want games to fit in 2hr TV slots so they can have back to back games and night games finishing earlier. This will allow them to schedule more games on Thurs/Mon nights and wouldn't surprise me if they pushed for Sunday nights as well. They would also look to have double-header Friday night games.
Maybe Foxtel would want it but i doubt Channel 7 would want shorter games as they only get 3 or 4 games a week.

Back